Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

RVComfort.HP Thermostat trouble

Went to check our '17 29MV in preparation for the next trip and discovered an issue. When I turned on the Master electrical switch the furnace fan motor started running. I thought I'd left the heat on but the thermostat switch was set to Off. Flipped the switch from On to Off several times but the fan kept running. I pulled the thermostat fuse and....the fan kept running. I tried turning the propane on, setting the thermostat to On and the temp to 70, it was 50 in the RV, and the furnace wouldn't start.
I get the feeling the problem isn't the thermostat but there's a shorted wire to the motor somewhere.
Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

TheSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSled View Post
Went to check our '17 29MV in preparation for the next trip and discovered an issue. When I turned on the Master electrical switch the furnace fan motor started running. I thought I'd left the heat on but the thermostat switch was set to Off. Flipped the switch from On to Off several times but the fan kept running. I pulled the thermostat fuse and....the fan kept running. I tried turning the propane on, setting the thermostat to On and the temp to 70, it was 50 in the RV, and the furnace wouldn't start.
I get the feeling the problem isn't the thermostat but there's a shorted wire to the motor somewhere.
Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?
Open the outside cover and check the wires above the exhaust. Jayco has a recall on furnaces because of wires not being tied up properly and melting which would possibly cause a short like you mentioned.

You can see the wires the recall referenced in my photos. They are the blue ones above the pipe with the large hole (exhaust).

If your refrigerator is above the furnace I have also heard of water from the evaporation lines shorting the circuit board on some. Or rain water if you have had any recent rains.
Attached Thumbnails
C9545C00-6645-47E5-AEC5-109043116ABF.jpg   57956701-A739-43FF-9B00-257B63BCAF5F.jpg  

cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Most likely you have some moisture on or under the circuit board l. Turn off all power and remove the the one screw that holds the circuit board. Remove the the board and check for any moisture. Use a a hair dryer for several minutes on low or cool temperature to dry out the board. I just did this after a 1half inch rainstorm. It is not working correctly. Hope this helps.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

That should be working correctly.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

You may also have an “open” safety, like a high limit, sail switch or flame sensor. Your circuit board will throw a code. This will also cause your fan to run continuously.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #6

I had water get onto the circuit board from rain. I used a hair dryer to get all the moisture out. Outside cover had a spot where water was getting in. Resealed it and all was good again.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

Cabinetmaker, Dave55
Thanks! Your solution worked! I removed the circuit board, which sits flat on a plastic shelf, and found a silver dollar sized pool of water. The CB was wet top and bottom so I dried the it with a paper towel. I then made some modifications: I drilled a hole in the plastic shelf so water won't collect, then I glued some plastic spacers to the corners of the CB raising it about 1/8" above the shelf.
I put everything back together, turned on the heat and...it worked!
Thanks again for the suggestions.
TheSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

and thanks for letting Cabinetmaker, Dave55 and the rest of us know!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #9

Yes, thanks folks for this. I will add it to my furnace inspection and maintenance notes. Cheers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.blogspot.ca/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSled View Post
Cabinetmaker, Dave55
Thanks! Your solution worked! I removed the circuit board, which sits flat on a plastic shelf, and found a silver dollar sized pool of water. The CB was wet top and bottom so I dried the it with a paper towel. I then made some modifications: I drilled a hole in the plastic shelf so water won't collect, then I glued some plastic spacers to the corners of the CB raising it about 1/8" above the shelf.
I put everything back together, turned on the heat and...it worked!
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Great news Sled! Be sure and check the seal of that outside furnace cover. Water is not supposed to get inside there. Check the cover seal and the caulking around the outside also.

So glad you found the problem! Safe travels to you and yours.

cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote