Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
Site Team

That's good to know. If my current PI is destroyed by a lightning strike or some other act of nature, I will be grateful for it's sacrifice but the replacement will be one that can be repaired or replaced under warranty without having to purchase a new one at retail.

The new owners did tell me that they did not warranty the unit if it was not purchased from them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The new owners did tell me that they did not warranty the unit if it was not purchased from them.
Well, that's a great way to get new customers. I ordered the Hughes Autoformer Power Watchdog 30 Amp Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector with Auto Shutoff – Hardwired Version. I have more than enough room for this in my power cord access hatch so installation should be very easy. Will order a spare surge module direct from Hughes. They also state on their website they will replace the surge module for free, if it gets fried, for two years from purchase.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #23
Site Team

My PI unit was purchased from the original owner in good shape but used. Therefore I could not register the purchase as new.
The problems I was having with it went away after it dried out from a good rain soaking. It has served me well for 6+ years.

If it gets zapped, I will begin shopping again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Well, for starters, I bet 95% of people DON'T carry a replacement module, so they would be SOL with a dead rig, without power, until Amazon sends them a new one (days later).

Second, many times a EMS takes a hit due to a lightening strike, car hitting a pole, or some other one-off spike situations. If your portable EMS takes a hit during this situation, at least you can instantly unplug it, and get some power to the rig. Can't do that with a hardwired unit.
It’s not like it’s hard to take the lid off the hardwired unit and wire the main power cable back together like it was before your installed the unit. I did it this year in about 30 min on the gulf coast when our PI hardwired unit got fried. I was out of power for maybe 30 min and that was pulling the stove out to get to the wires.
It wasn’t ideal not having a surge protector for the remainder of the trip but I wasn’t “dead in the water” in 110 degree heat.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #25

My hardwired PI 30amp started making a loud humming/buzzing sound about 3-4yrs into its life. It still worked, but the electrical hum was annoying. They figured it was the contacters inside. I filled out their warranty form on their website and attached a couple pictures. They shipped me a new unit, no cost. This was within the last 6 months. Their customer service has been great for me.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
It’s not like it’s hard to take the lid off the hardwired unit and wire the main power cable back together like it was before your installed the unit. I did it this year in about 30 min on the gulf coast when our PI hardwired unit got fried. I was out of power for maybe 30 min and that was pulling the stove out to get to the wires.
Yes, that's certainly an option for some of here that are handy, and are willing to go crawl around and troubleshoot an issue. But, we're the minority here.

How many posts do you see here on a regular basis where people don't know the first step in figuring out why they don't have 115v or 12v power? It happens all the time. They WON'T be taking things apart, looking for a bad module and splicing wires....

So, for the majority of people, it's a lot easier to unplug a portable unit, and plug directly into the pedestal, or for those who plan ahead, unplug the bad PI, and plug in their backup PI.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Yes, that's certainly an option for some of here that are handy, and are willing to go crawl around and troubleshoot an issue. But, we're the minority here.

How many posts do you see here on a regular basis where people don't know the first step in figuring out why they don't have 115v or 12v power? It happens all the time. They WON'T be taking things apart, looking for a bad module and splicing wires....

So, for the majority of people, it's a lot easier to unplug a portable unit, and plug directly into the pedestal, or for those who plan ahead, unplug the bad PI, and plug in their backup PI.
There is definitely some truth to that
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #28

Quote:
I agree but those people wouldn't be installing a hardwired EMS into their unit in the first place, lol.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I agree but those people wouldn't be installing a hardwired EMS into their unit in the first place, lol.

Dealers, mobile techs or friends don't install them? Strange.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:50 AM   #30

Quote:

Exactly why I have a backup PT50X which has been used several times over the past 9 years full time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #31

My external 30 amp Pi is 4 years old, no issues. Did show me a reversed polarity at a site once. Another time I was camping and lighting struck next to rig! Never took a hit! Couldn’t believe it! Lucky I guess. It blew out the WiFi at the campsite!

I have a 2019 Greyhawk. I cut that stupid attached cord inside that stupid little cubby storage compartment for the power cord and put a male end on it, now I permanently store my ”plug in”external surge protector in that cubby and I put a female and On the other end of the cord and turned it in to a 30 amp extension cord. Now I put my cord up through the bottom grommet hole, plug it into my surge protector and I’m able to lock the cubby with key!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #32

PI Surge Protector Warranty

I have been using PI's surge units (external) for about 5 years (both 30 & 50 amp). The 50 amp unit died after a year (2018) and I brought it back to a Camping World (not the place I bought it) and they gave me a new unit because I had my receipt. They also said that PI now has a lifetime warranty so just keep your receipt. Don't know if that has changed in the past year, but it's comforting if true.
Jack2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
cut that stupid attached cord inside that stupid little cubby storage compartment for the power cord and put a male end on it, now I permanently store my ”plug in”external surge protector in that cubby and I put a female and On the other end of the cord and turned it in to a 30 amp extension cord. Now I put my cord up through the bottom grommet hole, plug it into my surge protector and I’m able to lock the cubby with key!
I'm thinking about doing this for my hardwired Hughes unit to provide a quick bypass if needed and make the power cord more versatile. Need warmer weather though 🌞
Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #34

I had/have a Progressive Industries built in . Original went out, they sent me a new complete unit. Great service
Ron3119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #35

X2
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #36

Just wanted to add an update. I received and installed my hardwired EPO (EMS) Hughes Autoformer unit and have received very helpful support via email from the Hughes General Manager. I ordered a backup surge module at the same time and figure it would take all of 10 minutes to replace it if needed. They will also provide a replacement within the Two year warranty period. Unit works very well with the Bluetooth phone app and caught a wiring error (intentional) that I made. Very pleased with decision to purchase this product.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #37

Thanks for the update.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote