Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

Sacrificial EMS Surge Protector

Have been looking at power monitoring/surge protectors and narrowed it down to an internal mounted unit from Progressive Industries. The write up on Amazon, as well as the schematic, seemed to indicate the MOV module was replaceable in the event of a significant surge. An email to Progressive got an answer that, in the event of a surge, the entire unit would have to be replaced to the tune of $230 give or take. Having built a number of surge protectors myself that really makes little sense other than than the requirement to buy a whole new unit instead of some MOV's. So, will be going with an external unit from Hughes Autoformer instead as their surge module is replaceable. Just wanted to pass along the info for someone looking.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

In the past, the hard wired units were user repairable if they took a bad hit. I read somewhere that Progressive Industries had been bought out, and their policy has changed recently. Hughes is a great product, also.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
In the past, the hard wired units were user repairable if they took a bad hit. I read somewhere that Progressive Industries had been bought out, and their policy has changed recently. Hughes is a great product, also.
Replacement surge module for the Hughes is $30 from their site. Most likely will go with their 30 amp hardwired unit so don't have to worry about theft.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Replacement surge module for the Hughes is $30 from their site. Most likely will go with their 30 amp hardwired unit so don't have to worry about theft.
That's most likely what we'll replace our PI 30 amp portable with, if it ever goes south on us.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I went with a PI 30 amp portable, and have a cable lock on it, that I wrap around the pedestal.

Bottom line, I'm not worried about it taking a hit and frying. I'd rather have the portable, that I can just unplug, if it goes south, and still get power to the rig, then a hardwired one that takes a hit, then the rig is dead.

I just look at it, if I end up having to replace the portable because it got fried, it's like having insurance, better to fry the portable unit, then fry the internals of the rig.

At the end of the day, I didn't buy a RV to save money. In my point of view, it's just like my boats were, a box on the ground (versus a hole in the water) that you pour money into.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
then a hardwired one that takes a hit, then the rig is dead.
Not with the Hughes internal as it would take about 15 minutes to change out the surge module if you had one on hand. Either way the rv is protected.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #7

That figures as I just installed a PI! Dang it! We will see how it plays out.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xboaters View Post
That figures as I just installed a PI! Dang it! We will see how it plays out.
That will last you a long time, providing you're not a storm chaser! Lol!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That will last you a long time, providing you're not a storm chaser! Lol!
I just installed one too. I like having it inside, and not having another phone app to deal with.
I didn't like that they advertised Made in USA, and it arrived with an "assembled in Mexico" sticker covering the "Made in USA".

Next time, if there is a next time, I'll reconsider other brands/ types.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Not with the Hughes internal as it would take about 15 minutes to change out the surge module if you had one on hand. Either way the rv is protected.

And if you DIDN'T have one on hand in the middle of the Summer... do you sleep and sweat in the dark?
Old 11-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
And if you DIDN'T have one on hand in the middle of the Summer... do you sleep and sweat in the dark?
What difference would it make? If the external fried are you gonna throw it away and plug into the same pedestal? Either way you have no power. Regardless, I'd rather spend $30 on a surge module than $200 on a new PI unit.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #12

The Hughes Watchdog 50a EMS has more protection than the SurgeGuard or Progressive at 4800 joules. When (or if) my SurgeGuard bites the dust I am going with the Hughes. Every joule of protection helps.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
What difference would it make? If the external fried are you gonna throw it away and plug into the same pedestal? Either way you have no power. Regardless, I'd rather spend $30 on a surge module than $200 on a new PI unit.
Well, for starters, I bet 95% of people DON'T carry a replacement module, so they would be SOL with a dead rig, without power, until Amazon sends them a new one (days later).

Second, many times a EMS takes a hit due to a lightening strike, car hitting a pole, or some other one-off spike situations. If your portable EMS takes a hit during this situation, at least you can instantly unplug it, and get some power to the rig. Can't do that with a hardwired unit.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
Site Team

The Progressive Industries warranty, per their website and many owners is lifetime replacement for both hardwired and portable. I had one made by TRC that was fried and they offered to sell me a new one but I have not heard that about PI.

Has anyone had any real life experience that contradicts this warranty? Not debating the comparison of the protection, just the warranty.

If they don't replace them like they used to before the company sale, then they are no better than the others and are shooting themselves in the foot for repeat business.
Member edatlanta has dealt with them recently, I think. maybe he will chime in here.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #15

My 5 year old PI portable 30 amp took a dump on me when camping last Sept. It was an internal failure of the unit. Just removed it from the pedestal and plugged directly into the pedestal to power up the camper. I contacted PI while camping and sent the necessary info to their warranty guy and had a brand new unit in 7 days, no charge. Great customer service.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Well, for starters, I bet 95% of people DON'T carry a replacement module, so they would be SOL with a dead rig, without power, until Amazon sends them a new one (days later).

Second, many times a EMS takes a hit due to a lightening strike, car hitting a pole, or some other one-off spike situations. If your portable EMS takes a hit during this situation, at least you can instantly unplug it, and get some power to the rig. Can't do that with a hardwired unit.
And plug in your spare EMS. Yes, I have two PT50X's and I have had multiple issues in the same location - my home base site due to power company issues.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The Progressive Industries warranty, per their website and many owners is lifetime replacement for both hardwired and portable. I had one made by TRC that was fried and they offered to sell me a new one but I have not heard that about PI.

Has anyone had any real life experience that contradicts this warranty? Not debating the comparison of the protection, just the warranty.

If they don't replace them like they used to before the company sale, then they are no better than the others and are shooting themselves in the foot for repeat business.
Member edatlanta has dealt with them recently, I think. maybe he will chime in here.
My most recent dealings with PI was a couple of years ago. Water intrusion in during a major thunderstorm. PI replaced the unit no questions asked. Now I also had a bad LED indicator on one unit and they replaced that also. Both of these were handled before the sale of the company I think.

I have a nephew that had his PI50X replaced under warranty since the sale and there wasn't an issue.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:44 AM   #18

I just ordered the Hughes in 50 amp and the replacement module. I am getting the external mount unit for our Seismic 4116 because there was no place to mount a hardwired unit where it could be easily repaired.

Desertman
Destrtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #19
Site Team

I had a PI portable unit destroyed in a thunderstorm in June of 2018. The unit worked, took the hit, and no damage was done to my Jayco. However, PI would not warranty it due to the fact that it was fried by a lightning strike and not a manufacturers defect or equipment failure.

I ended up with another identical PI unit that I paid for out of pocket and I have no issue with the job it did. The warranty however in my case was just not applicable. I don't even necessarily have an issue with the warranty denial in that case since it was obviously not the fault of the unit or the manufacturer. But, I did just want to note it here just in case someone else faces a similar issue.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
And plug in your spare EMS. Yes, I have two PT50X's and I have had multiple issues in the same location - my home base site due to power company issues.

Yes, that's the best plan, have a backup...

My motto is, one is none, two is one, etc...