Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #1

Safe-T-Steer real-world effects +/-

On my Greyhawk 29MV I have made the following changes to improve driveability:
  • Proper front end alignment (increased + caster)
  • Safe-T-Steer front stabilizer
  • Helwig larger diameter front swaybar
  • KONI FSD shocks all around
  • Adjusted rear overload springs to 2" clearance
  • SuperSteer SS450 rear track bar
After a 6 hour driving session a couple of days ago, which made both my shoulders sore, I am wondering about the actual effect of the Safe-T-Steer front stabilizer.

It is meant to help maintain a straight-ahead steering position by using spring-loading to center the steering linkage.

But the Thing is This: Where the road is crowned, or a constant wind is pushing the RV sideways, my steering effort is not only to counter these effects, but also to compress the spring-loading of the Safe-T-Steer front stabilizer. My power steering does not remove all the effort required.

Additionally, I believe that I am feeling (but cannot prove) that the Safe-T-Steer front stabilizer is actually causing a slight steering deflection when both front wheels traverse a significant dip or swale. I must apply steering input to correct it.

Adding the Safe-T-Steer front stabilizer was an earlier mod for me.
I am contemplating removing the stabilizer altogether, at least as a test, to see if the other mods are sufficient to keep the handling stable.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:23 PM   #2

I was wondering about the Safe-T-Steer. We purchased our 2022 29MV in San Diego and drove it back to Texas about 6 weeks ago. There were some miles that were total white knuckle driving with the winds and semis. I was also wondering if towing my four door Jeep Wrangler would help would help with the sway.

I've read others have adjusted their rear springs and upgraded rear sway bar as well. Just thought the Safe-T-Steer would help resolve the steer in Texas winds.
WillieTrippinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:20 AM   #3

I have being looking at Safe-T-Plus and when I get my new motorhome I will be getting one and installing it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
...It is meant to help maintain a straight-ahead steering position by using spring-loading to center the steering linkage.

But the Thing is This: Where the road is crowned, or a constant wind is pushing the RV sideways, my steering effort is not only to counter these effects, but also to compress the spring-loading of the Safe-T-Steer front stabilizer. My power steering does not remove all the effort required.

I am contemplating removing the stabilizer altogether, at least as a test, to see if the other mods are sufficient to keep the handling stable...
Bullitt, I have never owned a spring loaded centering device, and this is the reason. There is seldom a need for both wheels to return to a precise center position, what with crowned roads, cross winds, semis passing, etc, etc, so the Driver must provide nearly continuous inputs for these irregularities PLUS provide the effort needed to overcome the "centering' force the from the spring.

In my mind if the alignment of the coach is correct as you described, with proper tire inflation, etc. the coach will not need much another device to keep it going straight. That is what the driver is for.

I would be very interested in hearing the results of your test to remove the centering device.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:22 AM   #5

Adding caster "can" produce better straight line stability. However, it can also produce higher deflection on one wheel events or uneven events. You also added a spring in the steering system, so the additional sensation of needing correction sounds about right.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
Bullitt, I have never owned a spring loaded centering device, and this is the reason. There is seldom a need for both wheels to return to a precise center position, what with crowned roads, cross winds, semis passing, etc, etc, so the Driver must provide nearly continuous inputs for these irregularities PLUS provide the effort needed to overcome the "centering' force the from the spring.

In my mind if the alignment of the coach is correct as you described, with proper tire inflation, etc. the coach will not need much another device to keep it going straight. That is what the driver is for.

I would be very interested in hearing the results of your test to remove the centering device.
Exact reason I removed my safety steer. Previous owner installed an additional heavy duty sway bar to the rear. Drives perfect and not fighting the spring loaded steering.
Attached Thumbnails
A900C60D-73C8-41F0-8DEC-7822471FDBE7.jpg  
Old 05-18-2022, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Exact reason I removed my safety steer. Previous owner installed an additional heavy duty sway bar to the rear. Drives perfect and not fighting the spring loaded steering.
You have TWO sway bars on the back axle?
Do you have just a damper on the front steering now? Or nothing?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:36 AM   #8

I drove my 30z for a couple of months prior to installing a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer. Before installation, the RV stayed in its lane and seemed well aligned (given wind, other vehicles, etc.) But with the Reflex, the steering was much more centered and "calm". I made absolutely sure the wheels/steering was centered prior to installing the Reflex. In addition, when turning corners, the steering returns to center really quick. Money well spent and the driving experience is definitely improved.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
You have TWO sway bars on the back axle?
Do you have just a damper on the front steering now? Or nothing?

Yes, 2 sway bars and no sway when passing semis and very little in wind. Drives great. Work was done by Tampa Springs Trucks in Florida. Sway causes corrections in steering. No damper. Factory sway bars. They also added a leaf spring. All recommended by them.
Attached Thumbnails
DF833E75-533B-4DDD-AA6A-0BAE32481741.jpg  
Old 05-19-2022, 07:11 AM   #10

Hello Bullet-- You are spot on for replacing the spring dampener with a hydraulic unit- Spring dampeners work, to compensate for all of the shortcomings of the E450 chassis as they come from the factory- One can either upgrade all of the other components as you did, or put on the spring dampener and call it good.(short cut) It is better overall to upgrade all of the other components as you did, then replace the front dampener with a good aftermarket non spring dampener. The ford unit is barely up to the task new, and quickly deteriorates with miles.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote