Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #21

I use the I5 as it is a major interstate that they try to keep open. Hwy 97 is ok but it's only 2 lanes most of the way and it is closed longer than the I5. I would stay of Hwy 99 in Calif as the road is so rough my TV hanger broke and the TV landed on the couch.
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 5.7 Hemi.
2019 Jayco Hummingbird 16 MRB
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #22

I would stay I5 till south of San Francisco. Then come on over to 101 and enjoy the views
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #23

Not sure what you mean by "safest" but the fastest is the 5 until you get to the LA area. Once in the LA area, you need to know where you're going to choose the right way to reach your final destination. Through much of California below the Bay area, the 101 is much prettier. It is above the Bay area but no one in their right or even wrong mind wants to drive through San Francisco. However, the 101 is both busier and gets you into LA (SoCal) traffic sooner. You can use the 101 if the Grapevine is closed but to make the decision to use the 101 you need to know well in advance that the Grapevine is closed. Unfortunately, that information is usually disseminated too late to chose an alternate route. One of my pet peeves about CalTrans is them suggesting you take an "alternate" route when there is none. You really must know CA roads to find the alternate and such routes are often miles and miles out of the way.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootz View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31S that I'll be driving the family down in a couple weeks and am looking for the safest and best route down. Normally we just take the I5 the entire way, but I'm moderately concerned about Grant's Pass and the potential cold/ice/snow conditions.

Is there an optimal route other than this path? Would it just be best to pick up some chains and make our way on I5?

Thanks in advance,
Gootz
Stay on the coast side as much as possible.
Rcemerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #25

Problem with the 101 thru California is that you are literally driving through several cities on what are little more than city streets, especially in San Francisco.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootz View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31S that I'll be driving the family down in a couple weeks and am looking for the safest and best route down. Normally we just take the I5 the entire way, but I'm moderately concerned about Grant's Pass and the potential cold/ice/snow conditions.

Is there an optimal route other than this path? Would it just be best to pick up some chains and make our way on I5?

Thanks in advance,
Gootz
I just did that route on Thanksgiving! We traveled from Portland, OR down I5. We held up at Grant's Pass (bleh) for the night and hit the siskyou's the next day. Luckily we missed the previous couple day's snow. That a BIG pass to deal with. If there's snow/ice the road may be closed. If it's not closed, you'll need chains on both the TV and the TT to legally attempt it. Otherwise you'll need to detour out to 101 on the coastline to bypass. There's another pass down by LA that was about 1/2 as big. It was snowing but it was light and we made it no problem. Keep an eye on tripcheck.com for road updates. Each pass typically has signs to tune into the radio for updates too. Hopefully you won't have any issues.

Side note: Gas goes up a buck a gallon once you get into California. I was paying somewhere around $4.20 gal for regular gas! Here in Austin, TX it's $1.99 gal. Suck it California!!
Old 12-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #27

I5 is definitely the best route. As a truck driver I have done that trip many times, all times of the year. I would recommend regular chain style chains for your TV and cable chains for your RV. The cables are easier to put on and dont bounce your rv allover the place. Just put one cable on your front tire on one side and one on the back tire the other side. Grants pass is nothing to worry about.. the siskiyou pass summit is the one to worry about. Just take your time and make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted right. You want it pretty balanced brake wise. If the tv dose to much you could jackknife better to have the trailer do slightly more braking then the TV. Watch trip check and try to hit the pass early to mid day. Once your pasted lake Shasta your pretty much home free.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote