Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

Sat dish - To Mount or not to Mount

. I've been driving for a month unsure of how to use my sat. Should I just keep mobile or have it installed? If I just set it out.. how do I connect it to the receiver when the only port I have is on the roof. I don't want to use a window.. too many bugs. Any recommendations? I'm hoping to watch Wimbledon finals tomorrow! Lol!

2015 Jayco Melbourne 29 D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #2

Get one of these at Camping World or most RV dealers.

Flat TV Cable - Leisure Time 19099 - TV Accessories - Camping World
Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Get one of these at Camping World or most RV dealers.

Flat TV Cable - Leisure Time 19099 - TV Accessories - Camping World

Very cool ty! Do you agree - don't mount on roof?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
Very cool ty! Do you agree - don't mount on roof?
If you camp where there are usually trees, I wouldn't.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #5

Roof mounts will limit the sites you can set up in and have a clear shot to the southern sky. I would stay mobile.

You should have an input on the side of the RV marked Cable. You can use that connection for the sat dish. Its also easy to install a thru the wall connection using exactly the same component that they use at the factory. You can order them on line for about $10. I've got to believe that your RV has the needed connection as I've never seen one that doesn/t.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

Thanks! I was able to pull the main feed from b4 the splitter to feed into my receiver and it worked! Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
.....Roof mounts will limit the sites you can set up in and have a clear shot to the southern sky. I would stay mobile..
x2

When we were making our way around Colorado I noticed that the BIG RIGs all had their $$$$ Satellite antennas mounted on their roofs, and they also had a Satellite antenna on a Tripod as their RIG's mounted antennas did not have a clear shot to the satellites. I would not mount it

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

I would not mount it. They are saying soon they will be obsolete and not using anymore. Everything is supposed to be "streaming" in near future............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
x2

When we were making our way around Colorado I noticed that the BIG RIGs all had their $$$$ Satellite antennas mounted on their roofs, and they also had a Satellite antenna on a Tripod as their RIG's mounted antennas did not have a clear shot to the satellites. I would not mount it

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Ha! Exactly!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I would not mount it. They are saying soon they will be obsolete and not using anymore. Everything is supposed to be "streaming" in near future............

Yep True.. I just bought unlimited streaming too!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
There will ALWAYS be a satellite dish in an RVers future. Streaming is great when you have a cell tower within a few miles. There were a lot of sites where there was no cell service or the cell service could not hold up a call. With Net Neutrality in limbo, cell phone data may be in jeopardy.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #12

When you say "streaming", you man over the internet using wifi at campground or a hotspot, to receive even Direct TV? No receiver or dish needed?
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbetty View Post
When you say "streaming", you man over the internet using wifi at campground or a hotspot, to receive even Direct TV? No receiver or dish needed?
Your next cable box will not be a cable box as you know it. It will probably look like the Amazon FIRE stick (USB), that plugs into your TV and is wireless to your internet router, remote controller included. The Net Neutrality issue (our government is in control of its future at this time) will determine how far this technology will go.

Direct TV, Dish... the satellite providers will not go away. As for your use of CG provided FREE internet to stream, CG's, with the help of their ISP's are already starting to block sites that are used for streaming (Netflix, Apple, HULU??.....) and some have even blocked VPN access. They can also restrict the amount of data you use.

In the future there may eventually be a 2 tier data plan at CG's. The regular free service (totally restricted as far as data and streaming), but would be good for email and light internet surfing. There would be a second internet package for DATA users, that you pay for by the day. I think this would be a fair system for all. This way the users, like me, or those that work from their RV's or have movies/kids videos running through out the day, would have to cough up the $$ to have the ability to use all the data they wanted/needed. I do not believe the non data users should have to pay a higher daily CG rate for the data users.

In my absence here at the CG (2 weeks) there was a crackdown on Wi-Fi Signal Extenders here at the CG, and rightfully so. The problem with many of the Wi-Fi signal extenders is that when they are purchased they are not set up for, or can not be set up for Public Access Points. These units lock onto an AP and pretty much block the band-width (or a good portion of it) of the other users. The CG just installed all current technology AP's which you can get a full set of bars at any point in the CG, Wi-Fi extenders are no longer needed here, unlike the previous AP system. Since they installed the new AP's I have retired my Wi-Fi signal extender to our house.

Oh and some more thoughts for the future of watching CABLE Tv connection provided by the CG's. As technology swings to HDMI, some of the local cable providers are eliminating their Analog channels (used by most CG's), for digital channels. Some may require a small box to convert the signals, is there a charge for this? As an example we had BrightHouse cable and they were planning on starting installations of box less service by year end. Now that they were bought out by Spectrum.... who knows.

One last note... As I said BrightHouse... Our "Cable bill went from $125 a month to $150, when confronted, Spectrum said "that was your BrightHouse pricing you now get our pricing"... next day contacted WOW for $34 a month for 100MB service (works GREAT), also reactivated my Dish TailGater service for $40 a month and they reinstalled my Hopper (USB harddrive for recording). Disconnected BrightHouse! Got all the channels we normally watch and 100Mb of data for $75 a month. Also added a OTA Digital 150Mile antenna at the house. Setting up on the RV now.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #14

Thought I would share the result of my re-wire success... bypassing the splitter to attach direct cable from input in back, I won't get satellite in bedroom but ok with that.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Thought I would share the result of my re-wire success... bypassing the splitter to attach direct cable from input in back, I won't get satellite in bedroom but ok with that.

How do you get Cable if only connected to Sat.
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #16

Over 7 years of camping in 3 TT's and then the Seneca with the satellite receiver on the roof, I would stay with a portable "Tail gater" style unit. Because of having the portable unit first, we use it about 1/2 the time because of wanting to camp in the shade.

Looks like you've resolved your satellite connection and you can clean it up by a simple splitter before the booster for campground and over the air connections. Plenty of place on the net to show you how to do it.

Still learning every day!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #17

I built myself a hillbilly setup but it works well for both situations on our 29MV class C .
1st bought a tripod holder for the tailgater. https://www.amazon.com/KING-TR1000-T...ilgater+tripod

mounted satellite to tripod holder. holes are provided

2. Removed the stem or the pole from the stand and built myself a PVC holder on the rear next to the ladder. I will attach pictures below. this picture is old style tailgater but you get idea.

but both ways I have A cable hooked up on roof to attach either the mounted way or throw cable over side for portable.

hope this might help someone.

Ted. Littleton,colorado
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0022.jpg  
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Yep True.. I just bought unlimited streaming too!

You can buy unlimited streaming but good luck if you don't have a good cell signal or wifi that allow you to "stream" off their system. CGs are pretty uniformily prohibiting streaming via their wifi and most do not support streaming anyway.

You will be relying on your own sat input for longer than you own your current RV. Don't mount it and expect to use it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #19

Yes, I'm noticing that already! Thanks for input!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk View Post
How do you get Cable if only connected to Sat.

Yes, great question! I had to put it back. For some reason, I could only pick up one satellite with it running through rig. I just ordered the flat connector. I give up!