Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

Satellite hookup

Hello all.
I just joined this forum yesterday and have already learned a lot but I do have a question.

We bought a 2021 Jayco Greykawk 30Z in January. The wife decided she wanted a Dish network system installed. I went to Dish and bought a tailgater satellite and two receivers. Long story short, after being on the phone several hours with Dish we finally got the system to work. The only way was to run the coax wire from the dish outside thru the window and into the back of the receiver. I would like to be able to use the system hooked up to the coax input by the main power cord. I know there’s several coax outlets in the motor home but I can’t seem to figure out how to do it. The dealer won’t touch it because I didn’t buy it from them. Any help or schematics would be appreciated.
Thanks, Barry
Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
Hello all.
I just joined this forum yesterday and have already learned a lot but I do have a question.

We bought a 2021 Jayco Greykawk 30Z in January. The wife decided she wanted a Dish network system installed. I went to Dish and bought a tailgater satellite and two receivers. Long story short, after being on the phone several hours with Dish we finally got the system to work. The only way was to run the coax wire from the dish outside thru the window and into the back of the receiver. I would like to be able to use the system hooked up to the coax input by the main power cord. I know there’s several coax outlets in the motor home but I can’t seem to figure out how to do it. The dealer won’t touch it because I didn’t buy it from them. Any help or schematics would be appreciated.
Thanks, Barry

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/d...?do=file&id=91

This information is available in the Manuals section/Misc. The schematics are for the 2018 but my guess is there is not a difference. You can confirm with a call to Jayco and if there is they will send you the info via email.

There are several ways to get all of the TVs on the system. Using two receivers is going to be a little more complicated since you have to get individual cables to the TVs. Another is to use a HDMI splitter at the TV and runs to each set. The third is the one I use. A HDMI transmitter with receivers at the other two TVs. In the last two procedures you are going to be able to watch only one channel, but with us that is not a problem.

The link above has several pages. You can download and review the diagrams for setting up DISH Tailgator.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #3

The way RV are set up is the coax is for cable and the antenna by design
Dish and DirecTV need dedicated lines, not split, to work

I've always taken the coax, inside, the one with the light (antenna booster switch) open that up. You will see two coax connected to the outlet. 1 is for the outside coax, for cable, other is to the antenna

Split them up. The outside coax hook to your dish, and figure out which inside is for that same connection.

Done!

But like mentioned above, you will only get the use of one reciver unless you plumb in another seperate dedicated line

Hope this helps, holler if u have questions
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

After struggling with the same dish system in my trailer for weeks I decided to rip out all existing cable and re-run everything including 2 dedicated satellite lines to my 2 dish receivers.

Seeing how the factory cable was run I fully understand why it never worked. It was also apparent that Jayco had about 75 feet of extra RG-6 cable to use up because the routing was ridiculous!

I installed a dual input at the rear of my camper and ran the satellite lines and then ran the new cable wire for my cable / roof antenna. I used solid copper core wire instead of the copper clad steel cheap stuff and everything works and TV reception is better all the way around.

It was a lot of work but in my opinion well worth the effort in the end.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #5

Could you send a diagram of your hookup at the antena Amp. Jl7796 @yahoo.com
Jim Lowary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #6

You will find it a lot simpler to just keep running the Tailgater wire through the window like many of us do. Simpler is better in my book….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
You will find it a lot simpler to just keep running the Tailgater wire through the window like many of us do. Simpler is better in my book….
Yeah, that’s a real “trailer park” fix. Sorry but that is just the lazy way out.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #8

I would prefer to connect my Sat which is mounted on the ladder permently through the coach wiring.
Jim Lowary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lowary View Post
I would prefer to connect my Sat which is mounted on the ladder permently through the coach wiring.
I finally found a Dish independent installer who came out and got me going. He had to redo all the coax ends because they weren’t installed properly. Just doing that made a big difference in the picture on the tv. He did get the tailgater to work properly on the main tv by doing a lot of retiring. He said he would have to do a major rewiring job to get the tv to work properly in the bedroom. We told him maybe we could work on the bedroom tv at a later date.
Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:25 AM   #10

I'm debating on getting a Trav Ler and use it portable

I have the one cable in, works perfectly, but may do a three way setup in the outside TV of my 25r

I bring 3 TV's durring football season, and was having the most issues in 20yrs setting up my 3lmb DirecTV dish this last trip

So may drop the $$$$ on the Trav'Ler system but not install it on my roof
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote