Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

Satellite wall plate

Hope someone can tell me what the dual coax wall plate behind the TV in the front bunk of my 2015 Greyhawk 29me , is used for. It says "Roof Sat. Line1 Line2" I want to add a portable satellite dish and am wondering if I can use these 2 coax ports.
guspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guspaul View Post
Hope someone can tell me what the dual coax wall plate behind the TV in the front bunk of my 2015 Greyhawk 29me , is used for. It says "Roof Sat. Line1 Line2" I want to add a portable satellite dish and am wondering if I can use these 2 coax ports.

Those coax ports are both for roof mounted satellite. If that is what you are mounting you will use those. If you go with a portable or tripod you can enter through a wall using a coax face plate directly to the tv or connect to the outside coax connector. If you choose the latter you will have to get the schematics from jayco because you will be rewiring the main tv coax off of the rest of the power antenna system and using a jumper cable to go back and forth between satellite and power antenna after you rewire a few things. It is a stupid convoluted way of doing things but I didn't want to drill or go through the window so I followed jaycos advice to rewire behind the coax ports in question.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

x2. What type of satellite are you using? Do you have the manual? Many satellites will require you to modify existing connections. Portable satellites lock on one of the three signals (In the sky). This means when you change channels the portable type satellite will move. To find the other signal in the sky.

Additionally, portable satellites need power to operate. This power is sent from the converter box to the portable satellite. Splitters do not operate well with the transmission of power in the coaxial cabling. Best view experience for portable satellites is to pass the coaxial wire through the screen then into the converter box.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #4

You probably already have your provider and dish antenna but if you do not then you have to determine if HD is important. If not (like me because I'm cheap and only watch certain sports on occasion) you can still view SD as they still have not shut down the satellites yet. The dish is cheap and super easy to set up. I watch these fancy tailgators and other portables take 15-20 minutes or more to set up. It takes me 3 minutes to set my tripod up manually. No power required except the tv and receiver of course. All depends on what you want.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote