Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
I know there are several variables affecting the Allison temps, but what temp swings are you seeing? What is the upper temp limit that degrades the fluid's service life? Probably a better question for a separate thread.
I haven't towed with it yet, but driving around I have never seen it go over 175 deg.
It seems to get a few degrees hotter at long stop lights and will also add a few degrees when starting from a stop. On my Tacoma I believe there are 2 places where the measure, the pan temp and the converter temp. I'm not sure which one is being measured but I think it may be the convertor as I can see it changing temperature by a few degrees when stopping or accelerating. I would think the pan temperature wouldn't change that quickly, but I've been wrong before.
Click image for larger version

Name:	transmission-fluid-life-expectancy-transmission-repair-guy.png
Views:	49
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	31156
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #22

Magnolia Tom, I purchased a Y adapter (SAE J1708 & SAE J1939) to ODB2 to see if I could use my TorquePro and connect to my Seneca before I purchased a ScangaugeD. The TorquePro could not communicate with the Freightliner system.
I have my ScanGaugeD mounted on sheet metal tab I fab’d that is attached to the sheet metal that is underneath the headliner material.
Attached Thumbnails
Y adapter.jpg   scangauge D (1).jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #23

Sorry for my ignorance. I didn't realize that the Seneca uses a freightliner chassis instead of ford. Learned something new.

I'll just go back to the fifth wheel section now [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #24

No problem Tom, you asked a good question. I wondered that too that's why I purchased the Y adapter, if it worked it would have saved me some cash and I could have used my tablet with the larger screen for my old eyes! I have TorquePro, ForScan, and Autoenginuity for my other OBDII vehicles.

regards

ed
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I haven't towed with it yet, but driving around I have never seen it go over 175 deg.
Thanks! Need to keep temps below 190 or so to maintain fluid service life. I assume the chart is specific to the Allison fluid fill (Transynd?).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #26

Interesting stuff. Just FYI, according to the Freighliner owners manual "transmission fluid temperature gauge reading should not exceed 250 degrees". That seems awfully hot.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 AM   #27

I received my ScanGauge on Tuesday and went to install. Just plug in, right? It wouldn't go into plug and against my usual judgement which would have me just force it until it breaks, I called ScanGauge who told me the Freightliner diagnostic plug (green now) changed in 2017. They sent me a new one with a return envelope for the wrong one which took 3 days to get. Great company to deal with.

I plugged the new ScanGauge in and it worked. Now I need to learn how to use it.

So for all us new Seneca owners, be sure to order the new one
Old 05-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #28

Mark
Do you happen to know the model numbers for the correct model? I went to order one but they don't indicate which one it is.

Hope the shakedown is going well and that you are not finding too many issues.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #29

Paul, I do not any number or designation that is different. It is the ScanGauge D but Linear Logic knew that the 17 Freightliner had the new diagnostic port. All the documentation is the same. I would give them a call.

Mark
Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #30

We went with a BlueFire adapter and Android App... easy to plug in and setup and works great, but you don't have the always-on gauge on the dash.

https://bluefire-llc.com/trucks.html
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumgater View Post
We went with a BlueFire adapter
https://bluefire-llc.com/trucks.html
I have been looking for a Bluetooth solution (don't want to mess with cables and whatnot) and this may be the one for me. A bit pricey compared to the popular SG, but for wireless it is worth it (to me).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I received my ScanGauge on Tuesday and went to install. Just plug in, right? It wouldn't go into plug and against my usual judgement which would have me just force it until it breaks, I called ScanGauge who told me the Freightliner diagnostic plug (green now) changed in 2017. They sent me a new one with a return envelope for the wrong one which took 3 days to get. Great company to deal with.

I plugged the new ScanGauge in and it worked. Now I need to learn how to use it.

So for all us new Seneca owners, be sure to order the new one
Thanks for posting this Mark. Got mine this morning and had the same issue. ScanGauge is sending the proper unit with a return envelope. Freightliner changed their plug on the 2016 and later models (now a light green plug instead of a black plug). For those who have/waiting on a 2016 or later Seneca and plan to buy the ScanGuage D, PPL RV Parts Superstore (pplmotorhomes.com)has it on sale for $124.99 through Friday. You can buy it, don't even take it out of the package, call ScanGuage and get a swap. They actually replace the whole unit, not just the plug. Person I spoke with said the signal interface has changed as well.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #33

Got my replacement unit today. Great customer service! Also included a prepaid envelope to return the replaced unit. Here's a photo of the new plug that is required for the 2016 and beyond M2s. They have now included screws in the plug to secure it once it is plugged-in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6414.jpg  
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #34

I had ordered my Scangauge off Amazon and of course it had the wrong plug. Scangauge sent me a new cable and gauge because of a software change. The new plug is even nicer as it is a twist lock plug that matches the freightliner female port.
Attached Thumbnails
plug.jpg  
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I had ordered my Scangauge off Amazon and of course it had the wrong plug. Scangauge sent me a new cable and gauge because of a software change. The new plug is even nicer as it is a twist lock plug that matches the freightliner female port.

I sent my cord back due to faulty connection. Got the new unit as well. It is a much better design. Works great now.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have a ScanGauge in my Seneca and am very happy I do. Refer to it regularly on my adventures. I mounted mine to the left of the small pocket above the sunvisor, a quick glance up to see the readings. Others put it elsewhere, there is another Seneca owner who designed and built center consoles several of us purchased, you can option his console with a pocket just for the ScanGauge.

While driving you can display 4 gauges, I usually keep mine on volts, average MPG, boost, and transmission temp. But you can choose whatever you want based on what you want to see. And the gallons used can be handy once you learn how to use that function.

Here is a screenshot of mine showing the kind of milage you can get when "taking it easy"!

Slick install. How did you mount the SG on the headliner?
ebarchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarchak View Post
Slick install. How did you mount the SG on the headliner?
I pulled out the plastic liner for the little cubby above the driver. Then I made a little bracket that I bolted through the headliner with large "fender" washers on the backside working through the opening created by removing the cubby plastic liner. I used "Dual Lock" tape to hold the ScanGauge display to the bracket, it holds it very securely. The cord goes through a small hole in the headliner, not visible when the display is mounted. The cord goes down inside the easily removed windshield pillar plastic cover right down to the diagnostic port. I like it better there than down on my console, far less difficult to glance up while still somewhat watching the road.

Here is a picture of it disconnected from the bracket so you can hopefully see what I am describing. Also a picture of it "in action" yesterday coming back from Shipshewana, IN where I had a new compressor-style cooling unit installed in my Norcold. I took the 55 mph roads for a while, the Seneca gets better mileage at 55 compared to 70. 11.2 miles per gallon, no toad, just cruising!
Attached Thumbnails
20210602_102249.jpg   20210601_124202.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:25 AM   #38

Where did you get the center console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
LOVE my scangauge. -Especially with my custom console from Aaron Murray!

ScanGauge computes time and distance to empty. MPG Current and Average. Temps. Voltage. Load. Everything you need at a glance!
I googled Aaron Murray with no joy. Do you have a contact? Many thanks, John. New owner of a 2016 37HJ.
Madjack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjack06 View Post
I googled Aaron Murray with no joy. Do you have a contact? Many thanks, John. New owner of a 2016 37HJ.
https://www.build5fab.com/Freightlin...r-Console.html
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #40

Many thanks, John
Madjack06 is offline   Reply With Quote