Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

ScanGauge for Senecas

I've read all of the good things about having a scan gauge. There are 3 ones listed: ScanGauge Diesel, ScanGauge II, and ScanGaugeKR Ken Rutherford Edition. Which one have you all had the most luck with? Any input will be appreciated.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:05 AM   #2

I've got a SG II out in the garage I used on vehicles I no longer have. Very good unit for monitoring just about any tidbit of info that the engine itself "monitors". Numerous different displays, and you can "write" your own code for something that is not offered by the mfr.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #3

The only ones that will work in our Freightliners are the D and the KR. The KR is marketed towards truckers because it can be configured to show profits/losses while driving when set up properly. But for us RV owners it is all loss, no profits to be had when we travel!

So I recommend (and have) the ScanGauge D. But depending on what year your chassis is determines the proper cable. So make sure wherever you purchase one sends you the correct cable.
Attached Thumbnails
20150907_095827.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
The only ones that will work in our Freightliners are the D and the KR. The KR is marketed towards truckers because it can be configured to show profits/losses while driving when set up properly. But for us RV owners it is all loss, no profits to be had when we travel!

So I recommend (and have) the ScanGauge D. But depending on what year your chassis is determines the proper cable. So make sure wherever you purchase one sends you the correct cable.
Thanks Robbbyr, I have an 18HJ, so with this info I'll be sure to check the proper cable. I wouldn't know about loss aspect. I've not been out in it yet.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

Well hurry up and start counting your losses....

The scan gauge is very handy for a lot of things. The biggest thing I use it for is fuel consumption. Only thing you have to remember if using it for fuel is to add your generator usage to the fuel used. I estimate about .5 gallons per hour of generator usage. I try to fill up when the scan gauge reads 40 gallons of usage and if I add the generator fudge factor it comes within a couple gallons of actual use..

If you buy direct from them they will send you the correct cable. If you buy from someone else they will send you a new unit if you send them the one you bought.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #6

As Robby said the D will do everything we need - I have a D & a KR version ( good price on ebay ) daisy chained together for twice the info at a glance - very accurate for fuel consumption Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote