Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind
Scooter/Elec Bike/Other

Looking for something other than a car to tow behind my Melbourne. All I really need to carry occasionally are groceries when I'm one the road. What do those of you who "carry" something other than a car behind your Class C, carry?
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #2

Two foldable, inexpensive electric bikes from Costco. The Jetson Pro. Perfect for the occasional run for a small load of groceries.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #3

well I just went to Costco and got one ! Pretty good little unit for the price. Not for doing any relaxing country tours on, BUT when banished to the peripheries because you are in a C Class, I can see it being very useful. Also at the price, IF it gets stolen, it will annoy me, but not break the bank
NoImMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauernfeind View Post
Looking for something other than a car to tow behind my Melbourne. All I really need to carry occasionally are groceries when I'm one the road. What do those of you who "carry" something other than a car behind your Class C, carry?

I think an electric bike is a good choice. We just purchased a "Lectric Bike" for the price it's hard to imagine a better bike for the RV crowd. We love it and we'll be getting another one before our next trip. It's a blast to ride and it folds up for transport. 20 mile range and goes 20 mph. Check out the numerous youtube reviews. i think you'll be impressed with the quality.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #5

I will second rodpod and recommend the lectric bikes. We have two that we put on a bike rack behind our 24b Redhawk. One is outfitted with baskets on the front and back. They are perfect for us and we have use them for grocery and firewood runs as well as sightseeing. We keep them covered with bike cover and use a heavy chain with a high security padlock to secure them to the rack. They are very comfortable to ride and we have no regrets on our purchase.
Snoopinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoImMad View Post
well I just went to Costco and got one ! Pretty good little unit for the price. Not for doing any relaxing country tours on, BUT when banished to the peripheries because you are in a C Class, I can see it being very useful. Also at the price, IF it gets stolen, it will annoy me, but not break the bank

We felt the same way. I didn't want to drop $1500 for an electric bike until I was sure they were going to get used.
We're almost a year in to them and they're going strong. The tire tube size is 14" and not found in Walmarts, but Amazon has them. I've ordered a couple for spares.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopinaround View Post
I will second rodpod and recommend the lectric bikes. We have two that we put on a bike rack behind our 24b Redhawk. One is outfitted with baskets on the front and back. They are perfect for us and we have use them for grocery and firewood runs as well as sightseeing. We keep them covered with bike cover and use a heavy chain with a high security padlock to secure them to the rack. They are very comfortable to ride and we have no regrets on our purchase.

What brand of bike rack are you using. most i have researched can't handle the weight. I am still waiting for my baskets and looking forward to using them in the campgrounds. Have a great new year
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #8

I'm using an old (2011) Thule 916xtr rack that is designed for 2 fat tire mountain bikes. I bought mine cheap at an estate auction but I think they go for around $400 new if you can find them. Thule specs say the max weight is 60lb a bike for the 2 bike 2 inch receiver rack. With my chain and lock I carry about 130 lbs. I have 100% confidence in the rack. It is a heavy monster of a rack that is so overbuilt it is ridiculous. The steel, welds, and hardware are twice that of my hitch cargo box which has a 500lb cargo capicity.
Happy camping and riding!
Snoopinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #9

I keep debating on an electric bike...be fun with my Shepherd tagging along side me...
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
What brand of bike rack are you using. most i have researched can't handle the weight. I am still waiting for my baskets and looking forward to using them in the campgrounds. Have a great new year
My wife and I bought two Townie Go! 7D electric bikes last year, which weigh about 50 lbs each. The bikes have made a real improvement in our camping and travelling experience.
We carry these bikes on a Hollywood Racks Sportrider SE2 HR-1450Z bike rack. The rack is great, and is rock solid.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #11

My brother carries a scooter with enough power to get on highways in the worst case. Best case is that it weighs about 300 pounds. Is that good enough to not tow a car? He thinks so. I'm not sure. I am starting by looking at the bikes too. They're expensive. Hard to know what the most reliable ones are.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
My brother carries a scooter with enough power to get on highways in the worst case. Best case is that it weighs about 300 pounds. Is that good enough to not tow a car? He thinks so. I'm not sure. I am starting by looking at the bikes too. They're expensive. Hard to know what the most reliable ones are.
What kind of scooter does your brother have?
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #13

One Wheel!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #14

Thanks to everyone in this thread.
I just ordered a step-in from Costco as a belated Xmas present for my wife . I always carry and use a bike when RVing and my wife felt a little left-out. Not any more!
I welded and bolted a HD trailer hitch on the back of my TT so that someday I could use a hitch type cargo carrier. Looks like it'll get used now.
Many thanks and best of the season to all.
cheers Ted
TedsCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #15

We have two ECOTRIC bikes, have had them for over a year, 500watt motor, 20mph up to 40 miles, 7 speed gears, pedal assist (3 modes) throttle twist, 20" fat tire the only way to go--https://www.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-Electric-Bicycle-Folding-Mountain $720.00-$820.00
elcam396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:53 PM   #16

One wheel

Quote:
https://onewheel.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAq7COBhC2ARIsANsPATGAArwxAvpBokmNvRW sf1LtDFFHeC8B8kITc3gULb79U63R7DsxRwgaAvbSEALw_wcB
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #17

Quote:
I purchased an E bike fat tire foldable from amazon and carry it in a hitch mount cargo carrier MAXXHAUL 80977 . The bike is ECOTEK
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #18

He bought a Vespa. Said it was expensive but he loves it and believes he will get the money back when he sells it. There are scooters that go for half. My brother's deal was to get one of these 300's so he can get on the freeway if he needs to. Sounds like something I don't ever want to do but in an emergency I get it.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #19

We have Ecotric electric 20 inch fat tire bikes. They fold and have a 20 mile range. We love them, ride it like a bike, or just twist the throttle and go.

Tags
additional vehicle, class c