Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

Screen door hinges?

On our 2016 26xd the middle and lower screen door hinges have broken. Anyone else have any issues with these hinges. The bottom broke first followed by the middle one.
gs750t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

I have a 2009 Greyhawk only problem I had is hinges worn down causing screen door to drag the sill
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
WCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs750t View Post
On our 2016 26xd the middle and lower screen door hinges have broken. Anyone else have any issues with these hinges. The bottom broke first followed by the middle one.
One of the screen door hinges broke on our Grey Hawk. Got a new one on order, but I cannot figure out how to get the old one off the hinge shaft. Any suggestions
WCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

I had to use a drummel tool to remove the old hinges and to widen the new hinges in order to get them on. It was a bear of a task.
gs750t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #5

the lower one on mine broke. I got a new one from Jayco but have not put it on yet. Was wondering too how to get the old one off and new one on.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #6

Hinge replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCD View Post
One of the screen door hinges broke on our Grey Hawk. Got a new one on order, but I cannot figure out how to get the old one off the hinge shaft. Any suggestions
Somewhere on the screen door or door proper there will be a tag that shows the manufacturer of the door. If it's the same as mine I may be able to help you out.

It appears that there isn't a way to remove the hinge because the door is held together with a rod that is spun in through the hinge holes all the way to the top.

Here is what I did.

1. Using a small cutting disc (Dremell) cut a slice from top to bottom on the broken hinge. Be careful not to cut into the hidden rod. I cut into the hinge about 1/16" and used a screwdriver to pry apart the hinge. They're aluminum and snap easily.

2. Once the hinge is removed you will see a rod that runs up and down the door hinges. Use an awl to mark the rod at the bottom of the hinge above the one you removed. You will be using this mark as a guide when the rod is pushed down. Using a set of vice grips, pinch them on the rod as tightly as you can. Tap the vice grips to push the rod down about 1".

3. Using a hack saw or preferably a grinding tool (Dremmel), cut the rod as straight as you can.

4. Push the rod down all way to the lower hinge. Push the upper portion of the cut rod back into the upper hinge.

5. Place the spacer washer and your new hinge in and start tapping the lower cut rod up into the new hinge. When you reach the top of the new hinge, place your spacer washer in and keep tapping until the rod re-seats itself into the upper hinge.

Hope this helps.
ggarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

Mine did the same, exactly
Hellraiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #8

OMG My hinges have broken in the same way. How in the heck did you order hinges? I cannot find the hinge and Jayco has told my I need to order the whole door. Please help.
Electric Lady Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #9

screen door hinge

You will have to identify the door manufacturer first. Your dealer can do that from the vehicle serial number. Then THE DEALER CAN ORDER IT. If they say they can't then find a better dealer. I bought mine from a dealer in London Ontario with no hassle. Was a $3 part and they didnt charge me because I was putting it in myself and it was under warranty.
Good luck!
Old 07-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #10

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I did find a manufacture and ordered the hinges. DEXTER hinges

Peg
Old 07-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #11

hinge replacement

Great.

They most likely won't come with instructions and they are kind of complex to install. I think I wrote out a procedure for someone at a dealership about a year ago. If you need it, just PM me and I will see if I can locate it.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #12

Probably a dumb question but what spacer washer?
Old 07-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #13

spacer washer

Directly above and below each hinge is a silver coloured washer. That is, if the setup is as same as mine was.