Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Screw heads shearing off

Has anyone else experienced this??? I was in the rear storage area of my Greyhawk and found a loose screw head inside the compartment. It was clear that the head had been sheared off of the screw.

I had a look around and noticed several empty holes where the RV walls in the storage area are screwed into the floor. It appears the mystery screw head is not alone.

I don't have anything in the storage area capable of damaging the screws. I store most things in plastic bins and loose items are fairly soft such as camp chairs stored in bags. I am guessing at this point that the screws themselves are of poor quality and that the factory probably use electric screwdrivers of some sort and have over torqued them.

I am going in for some other minor warranty work next month so I will have them drill new holes and drop new screws at that time. My only concern is what might be applying enough pressure to the rear wall that it is causing the screws to shear in the first place?

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
...My only concern is what might be applying enough pressure to the rear wall that it is causing the screws to shear in the first place?...

I've had several screw heads shear off, too; I think your idea that it is due to crappy screws is most likely the explanation. I'll bet that there is nothing exceptional about the rear wall. Jayco just used crappy screws and also over tightened them.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

I have the same issue - maybe 8-10 screw heads. Screw tops like they may be aluminum screws; who would do that? May drill and replace myself with stainless steel screws
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

I used to work in the fastener industry, and there could be a number of reasons why this happens: hydrogen embrittlement during the zinc electroplating process, burst heads during the heading process, heat treating not to spec, to name a few. It can affect an entire production runof screws; we used to make them at a few hundred thousand at a time, and this wasn't common, but it wasn't unheard of, either. But it is rare that it would get past the QA procedures. Screws made "offshore" aren't as good as ones made here, unfortunately, so that may be part of the problem. Whenever I encountered broken heads, I just remove what's left, replace it with known good screws, and move on.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #5

Probably a combination of low grade screws and over torqing by the installer. The same over torqing problem that happens on the screws for the interior door hardware and hinges. They strip the hole and fall out. On the underside of the 5th wheel front the screws fall out from vibration as we drive down the road. I have found them in the box of the truck. If the installer doesn't hit a frame member it only goes in to the cover material.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

Interesting info on the cause from "North of 49*".

As an amateur woodworker, my sheared-off screw problems ended when I stopped buying cheap (Chinese, I assume) screws from Home Depot and switched to McFeely's Square Drive screws.

I'm a huge fan of Robertson drive screws now, and *quality* screws.

I suspect some buyer @ Jayco went for the lowest bid from a supplier
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

Safety first

Not really sure I am happy to hear others are reporting the same problem. Particularily since it is over several model years which tells me that it is not just a bad batch of screws but an overall bad supplier.

It is amazing to me what RV manufacturers are able to get away with when it comes to a quality issue which might eventually impact safety. In this case, left unchecked the rear wall would eventually seperate from the floor of the RV. At highway speeds the results could be incredibly damaging to both the RV and those behind it.If this problem was in the Ford components rather then the RV parts these sub-standard parts would never be allowed.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Not really sure I am happy to hear others are reporting the same problem. Particularily since it is over several model years which tells me that it is not just a bad batch of screws but an overall bad supplier.

It is amazing to me what RV manufacturers are able to get away with when it comes to a quality issue which might eventually impact safety. In this case, left unchecked the rear wall would eventually seperate from the floor of the RV. At highway speeds the results could be incredibly damaging to both the RV and those behind it.If this problem was in the Ford components rather then the RV parts these sub-standard parts would never be allowed.

You might want to file your concerns with the NHTSA. If enough complaints are received, it might generate a recall.
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote