Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #1

Second A/C on 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS

I was wondering if anyone has added a second A/C on a 2014 Model GreyHawk 31 FS. I've found that on some of the newer models people have placed a second A/C in the bedroom and ran a cord through the camper to plug into a 110 outlet. I noticed in the bedroom there is a A/C control to adjust temps, so i'm assuming that it may already be wired for a second A/C. Thanks in advance
CWatts7303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:30 PM   #2

This is a topic that comes up often. Yes, at least one person here has roof mounted a second unit and threaded the power cord out the wall.

I also fabricated up a way to put a portable, floor standing AC unit into ours. It worked, less than ideal, but it did add another 9K of cooling.

What's helped immensely is putting the 3D printed parts in to optimize the air flow thru the ducts.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #3

I was looking at those 3d parts, so it does make that much of a difference?
CWatts7303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatts7303 View Post
I was looking at those 3d parts, so it does make that much of a difference?

Well - nothing helps our 31FK when it's in Vegas, in August. But it seems to have made a big difference in ours.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #5

My 2018 Greyhawk 31fs has 2 roof AC units both are 11,000 BTU units so you can run both at same time on a 30 amp circuit. This was the way I ordered the Motorhome in 2018. You can run both AC at the same time and a few other things that do not pull many Amps. My AC ‘s if both are run at same time will pull 18 amps. And if you have a Thermostat in the bedroom Yes it is pre wired for the bedroom AC. To check this just pull off the inside roof vent cover and look for the wires. Remember to be able to run 2 AC’s at the same time you need to use the 11,000 BTU a size units……
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:25 AM   #6

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has added a second A/C on a 2014 Model GreyHawk 31 FS. I've found that on some of the newer models people have placed a second A/C in the bedroom and ran a cord through the camper to plug into a 110 outlet. I noticed in the bedroom there is a A/C control to adjust temps, so i'm assuming that it may already be wired for a second A/C. Thanks in advance
On my 2005, that T-stat in the bedroom is for the ceiling vent fan. If the vent fan were to be removed, and an A/C installed, I'm not sure the wiring could be used to operate a T-state and A/C unit.

I guess the newer models pre-wire for a bedroom A/C.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #7

The newer models are not only wired, but they're reinforced up there to support the second, optional, AC unit.

Jayco's going to tell you that there's not enough support there to hold the AC unit. As I mentioned, a few others have done it anyway with good success.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #8

Keep in mind Greyhawks are heavy. Make sure you have enough CCC to carry the extra AC weight - especially as all that weight will be dead weight aft of the rear axle.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Keep in mind Greyhawks are heavy. Make sure you have enough CCC to carry the extra AC weight - especially as all that weight will be dead weight aft of the rear axle.

That's a good point. The CCC on our 31FK is so pitiful, I go overweight if I put shoelaces in my shoes.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #10

From what I have seen is that if you have a thermostat in the bedroom but no A/C, then that thermostat is to control the (a) vent fan. I have seen this to be true even on newer Class C's than mine, but I suspect that could have changed or different for other Class C's.

In any case, and just for thoughts, my 15k has always been more than capable to keep the interior temps no higher than the mid 70's even with outside temps of 105~110. But with that said, at the highest of temps I have a routine that starts with covering the windshield and side windows blocking out a lot of heat, then because I have an overhead bed, I close that vent and pull the curtains, then if needed I have a nice picturesque blanket that I place as a curtain blocking off the entire front cab driver and passenger area. Doing these things have allowed me to stay cool even in the hottest of conditions. Rarely, but when I have let the heat buildup by being away, I also either pull in the slide (or don't extend it) until things have cooled off, this helps a lot and in mine having the slide in doesn't reduce access to anything other than a loss of a little floor space. For a rapid cool, I have also shut off the bedroom vents and curtain, but rarely is that needed, and of course once sunset occurs then I haven't needed to do any of these things. ~CA
Old 06-21-2022, 05:11 PM   #11

As Florida Ranger said, it is pre-wired for the second AC. Pull the vent cover and look for a red wire terminating at the front(drivers side) of the cover. You might have to root around up there a bit to find it.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #12

2 AC units

I’m a newbie here and would like to jump in on this conversation with a different question. I’m ordering a White Hawk 27RB with 2 AC units. My question is, when you have two units is one dedicated to the front and one to the rear?? Would one be dedicated to the from bedroom area? Or do they both just blow through all the same duct work. Thank in advance for any info
Batteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #13

In my 2018 31fs it has ducted roof air vents and both roof airs blow out the ceiling vents…
Old 06-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batteryman View Post
I’m a newbie here and would like to jump in on this conversation with a different question. I’m ordering a White Hawk 27RB with 2 AC units. My question is, when you have two units is one dedicated to the front and one to the rear?? Would one be dedicated to the from bedroom area? Or do they both just blow through all the same duct work. Thank in advance for any info
When I had my Greyhawk, turning on the second AC doubles the volume from all vents.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:19 PM   #15

Yes,,,,this is how it works…
Old 07-24-2022, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:

I have a 2018 Jayco 29 mv and I installed a second A/C in the rear. It was a bit of a job but not too difficult. I removed the fantastic fan and relocated it to the bath room. The second A/C is a Dometic briskair ii 13.5K btu. The back was prewired for a second A/C so it made it easier. I did run a separate 120v line with a 20 amp breaker box which i run independently from my 30 amp coach wiring. I just plug into an outlet i installed in the bay next to the battery tray. I works great. I also printed the 3d upgrade for my 15.5k front unit. This greatly improved the airflow through the duct-ed system. With both of these upgrades the RV gets really cool even in extremely high temps.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
From what I have seen is that if you have a thermostat in the bedroom but no A/C, then that thermostat is to control the (a) vent fan. I have seen this to be true even on newer Class C's than mine, but I suspect that could have changed or different for other Class C's.

In any case, and just for thoughts, my 15k has always been more than capable to keep the interior temps no higher than the mid 70's even with outside temps of 105~110. But with that said, at the highest of temps I have a routine that starts with covering the windshield and side windows blocking out a lot of heat, then because I have an overhead bed, I close that vent and pull the curtains, then if needed I have a nice picturesque blanket that I place as a curtain blocking off the entire front cab driver and passenger area. Doing these things have allowed me to stay cool even in the hottest of conditions. Rarely, but when I have let the heat buildup by being away, I also either pull in the slide (or don't extend it) until things have cooled off, this helps a lot and in mine having the slide in doesn't reduce access to anything other than a loss of a little floor space. For a rapid cool, I have also shut off the bedroom vents and curtain, but rarely is that needed, and of course once sunset occurs then I haven't needed to do any of these things. ~CA

Wow that's quite a ritual. If you installed the airflow upgrade to your front A/c you could dispense with all that. You can buy the kit, or if you know someone with a 3D printer you can do it cheaper. Either one greatly improves the air flow and interior cooling. You'll be amazed at how much.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Wow that's quite a ritual. If you installed the airflow upgrade to your front A/c you could dispense with all that. You can buy the kit, or if you know someone with a 3D printer you can do it cheaper. Either one greatly improves the air flow and interior cooling. You'll be amazed at how much.
Sometime between 2010 and 2014, the air handler box was changed where on mine, not only will the kits or the 3D printout not fit, they also don't add any air flow benefit based on my observations as my vents blow a lot of air compared to newer units that do not have the modification (3D or kit) installed that you mentioned.

Regardless of air flow or how many A/C's an RV has, you can certainly cut back on the heat entering the RV anyway which will always help reduce the cooling load, and the single most valuable thing I do is cover the front windshield and side windows, that alone does the most good.

In any case, I can get about a 35 degree delta between the ambient outdoor temp and the inside living room temp, the bedroom being a bit warmer in the afternoon, which isn't that concerning to me as I rarely use the bedroom until after dark. This is based on my recent observations with ~110 outside temps here in Texas where I could keep the living room area at around ~75. ~CA
Old 07-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #19

Rituals comfort us. I get it.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Rituals comfort us. I get it.
lol, Yes, They do comfort us when they are able to keep the temperatures in the mid 70's, otherwise not so much.

My rain dance ritual isn't working though, least not here in Texas.