Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #21
Site Team

Let's say that you rent out your RV and the renter has a few drinks, not that campers do that, but decides to move to another location. On the trip between CG's, the renter happens to smash into another car, maybe even killing a person in the car. Granted the insurance company will care for a good portion of the insurance agreement, but just remember WHOS NAME IS ON THE TITLE OF THE RV.

There is a GOOD chance that the owner will be named in the suit and possibly the wrongful death suit. Even though the odds may be slim, they are still possible, and the court/lawyer costs will be astronomical. I am not in the market to give up my home and other assets because some renter messed up.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #22

I would sell. Unless you camp alot it's a waste of $. Sites are so expensive now and then add insurance, maintenance etc.. rent an RV at camping world etc.. for a week when you want one. They lose value and it's just not economical unless you pay cash and have the funds. We have a 93 pop up the grandkids love it in the back yard. We mostly do hotel/motel dut to site cost now here in New England. Most of our friends rent drive able rv's when they want to camp.
CentralNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #23

I have thought about it but realize that if I want to sell it when I can no longer use it I might not be able to if a renter damages the unit. Ours sits on our driveway and will only be used once this year. I have seen campers sit behind peoples houses. So I guess it is a matter of preference. I wouldn't rent because you never know.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #24

Perhaps sell it, but don't return to tent camping. Maybe when you are ready to go YOU can rent for that short duration.
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Let's say that you rent out your RV and the renter has a few drinks, not that campers do that, but decides to move to another location. On the trip between CG's, the renter happens to smash into another car, maybe even killing a person in the car. Granted the insurance company will care for a good portion of the insurance agreement, but just remember WHOS NAME IS ON THE TITLE OF THE RV.

There is a GOOD chance that the owner will be named in the suit and possibly the wrongful death suit. Even though the odds may be slim, they are still possible, and the court/lawyer costs will be astronomical. I am not in the market to give up my home and other assets because some renter messed up.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
There is usually a long list of things that renters aren't allowed to do when they are in possession of the RV. In most of them it does state that anything done while the rental is in progress is the sole responsibility of the renter and not the owner........add in legal jargon.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote