Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #1

Seneca 110 VAC Wiring

I have a 2014 Seneca FS and I want to add a 120 vac receptacle fed by the inverter under the kitchen sink. The easiest way would be to junction off of the microwave line, or the front tv line. Both are run together in a plastic loom from the breakers under the master bed, under the floor, coming up under the frig near the furnace, then up behind the wall and cabinets. In that plastic loom there are 4 Romex lines, 3 are white and 1 is yellow. Does anyone know the significance of yellow Romex vs white within the Seneca? My theory is the 3 whites ones feed the microwave, the front tv, and the under cabinet receptacle near the entry door (which is not fed by the inverter). But that leaves the yellow romex, any ideas? I asked for and received the drawing from Jayco but it is not defined unfortunately. Thanks
James AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #2

Yellow is #12 and white is #14
Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Yellow is #12 and white is #14
Ahhh... that helps me so much. So from the four romex runs in the loom, the yellow must be the microwave run since there is only one yellow run. That helps a lot since that is the one I want to junction to for the very low draw outlet I intend to add under the sink. That solves as much of the puzzle as I need for this project, but it still leaves me curious: what are the 3 white ones? One must feed the front tv, one for the kitchen receptacle under the top kitchen cabs, and the third?? Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #4

Does your outside TV run off your Inverter? If so, you already have a plug behind the TV that you could just pull off of. Ours has a single plug crudely screwed to the back of the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
i-gWPbNS5-X2_LI.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James AO View Post
Ahhh... that helps me so much. So from the four romex runs in the loom, the yellow must be the microwave run since there is only one yellow run. That helps a lot since that is the one I want to junction to for the very low draw outlet I intend to add under the sink. That solves as much of the puzzle as I need for this project, but it still leaves me curious: what are the 3 white ones? One must feed the front tv, one for the kitchen receptacle under the top kitchen cabs, and the third?? Any ideas?
Bedroom TV would be my guess.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Does your outside TV run off your Inverter? If so, you already have a plug behind the TV that you could just pull off of. Ours has a single plug crudely screwed to the back of the cabinets.
Oh... we have never used our outside tv so I didn’t think of it, but that makes a lot of sense. Typically does the outside tv run off of the inverter on Senecas? I’ll have to try it on my next trip to our storage spot. From the pic you included it looks like I would have to pull the exterior tv out to get to the receptacle. Right? Thanks
Old 04-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Bedroom TV would be my guess.
Thanks. I think Rustynuts nailed it, it’s likely the exterior tv. The loom I’m speaking of is too far forward in my rig to be the master bedroom tv I think.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #8

Well noting is for SURE when it comes to Jayco but on our 2018.5 the outside tv does run off the inverter. I had the TV out doing a hot water circulation project, so yes it would be easier to pull the TV which is probably 8 screws and the panel with the TV attached comes out, just make sure you have a helper to hold the TV while you unplug cords. You might also try pulling the right speaker out and you might be lucky and it could be mounted lower than mine. Another option to check is reaching through the back opening of the cabinet if it is open like mine was.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #9

Assuming your 14 is wired as our 15. There are two breakers that feed from the Inverter. A 15A that feeds the TV's and the outlet where the Satelite Receiver controls are - and the 20A that feeds the Microwave.

Our outside TV is fed on the Inverter and the outlet is a single that is behind the outside TV and is not accessable from inside / under the sink (unless you want to really tear stuff apart. We took the TV down from the mount on the outside and plugged in a power strip that we mounted in the outside TV bay to charge Cellphones and power other odd's/ends that don't use a lot of power.

Taking the TV down is a two-person job - Remove the 6 screws that hold the TV mount to the TV and it will come down easily... the extra person is to remove the cables / unplug the TV from the outlet (need a step stool)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Rustynuts: did you encase all your plumbing in insulation? or did it come that way? Ours has none of the sort on our 2015...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Well noting is for SURE when it comes to Jayco but on our 2018.5 the outside tv does run off the inverter. I had the TV out doing a hot water circulation project, so yes it would be easier to pull the TV which is probably 8 screws and the panel with the TV attached comes out, just make sure you have a helper to hold the TV while you unplug cords. You might also try pulling the right speaker out and you might be lucky and it could be mounted lower than mine. Another option to check is reaching through the back opening of the cabinet if it is open like mine was.
If the electrical drawings they sent to me are correct, all three tv’s are inverter powered. I’ll likely follow your advice and pull the external tv if I cannot reach the plug from under the sink. When I did my hot water recirc project I did it from under the sink, and I didn’t see the receptacle tucked back there, but I wasn’t looking for it either. I do have a bore cam, so I’ll try finding it with it first. I have a pull out counter and cabinet just to the left of the sink cabinets. I’ll pull the four drawers out and look to see if the back of it is open. Thank you for the help!
Old 04-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Assuming your 14 is wired as our 15. There are two breakers that feed from the Inverter. A 15A that feeds the TV's and the outlet where the Satelite Receiver controls are - and the 20A that feeds the Microwave.

Our outside TV is fed on the Inverter and the outlet is a single that is behind the outside TV and is not accessable from inside / under the sink (unless you want to really tear stuff apart. We took the TV down from the mount on the outside and plugged in a power strip that we mounted in the outside TV bay to charge Cellphones and power other odd's/ends that don't use a lot of power.

Taking the TV down is a two-person job - Remove the 6 screws that hold the TV mount to the TV and it will come down easily... the extra person is to remove the cables / unplug the TV from the outlet (need a step stool)
Thanks, it looks like this is the direction I’m heading. It doesn’t sound too bad (famous last words!). 🤔
Old 04-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Rustynuts: did you encase all your plumbing in insulation? or did it come that way? Ours has none of the sort on our 2015...

Man I must have beat your post by seconds

It did not come that way, everytime I open any part of the Seneca that has any plumbing in it, I put insulation on the Pex. This is when I added the hot water circulation line and solenoid.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James AO View Post
If the electrical drawings they sent to me are correct, all three tv’s are inverter powered. I’ll likely follow your advice and pull the external tv if I cannot reach the plug from under the sink. When I did my hot water recirc project I did it from under the sink, and I didn’t see the receptacle tucked back there, but I wasn’t looking for it either. I do have a bore cam, so I’ll try finding it with it first. I have a pull out counter and cabinet just to the left of the sink cabinets. I’ll pull the four drawers out and look to see if the back of it is open. Thank you for the help!

If you have the 2 round speakers on the outside tv, try pulling the right one, if you are lucky the plug may be right there and you might be able to do the work through the speaker hole as my tv plug had about 2' extra coiled up in there.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:

Well I just visited my 2014 FS and discovered my exterior tv surprisingly (and unfortunately) is not powered by the inverter. But, it will be when I’m done with my current project to add a 110vac inverter powered outlet under the sink. I found I am able to access the exterior tv’s plug easily by removing the exterior right side speaker thanks to the suggestion above. So I am back to tapping into the microwave’s 110 vac line to feed the new under sink outlet. I e found the easiest way is to do it in the basement under the furnace area using a simple junction box.

Tags
seneca wiring