Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

Seneca 36FK potential buyer questions

I'm looking at the Seneca 36FK (or37HJ) as a potential replacement for a diesel pusher. The local dealer is expecting an HJ shortly but has no FK's on order. The FK is of interest because of the linen storage and pantry. Need this space to offset the space I'm giving up in the pusher's bedroom and galley (the HJ has good bedroom storage but no pantry).

Any FK owners out there that could give me the width and depth dimensions for both the linen cabinet and pantry. For pantry I need to know width at opening, not max inside.

Thanks
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Hi Walt -

Here is the info you asked for:

Pantry - 2 sections, one 46.5" tall, the other 12" tall. Both are 8" wide at the door and 14" deep.

Linen - 24" wide at the door, 27" inside width. Depth is 11.5" on the shower side, but the hallway corner is angled to account for the curved outside wall. The cabinet has full 11.5" depth for the first 19" and then slopes to 4.5" at the hallway corner.

We bought our 36FK in November and love it. I'm happy to help if you have any other questions.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

Anav8or, thanks for the measurements. Looks like the wine rack will fit but packaged water bottles will not. And there's enough linen space to compensate for limited storage in bedroom - I'm moving from a 37' class A. Will still look at HJ before deciding what to do.

Have you measured your mileage yet?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

You bet. We moved from a smaller class C - inside storage was better, but outside storage was night and day. There is quite a bit of storage in the bedroom if you don't go with the washer/dryer option.

Mileage has averaged 9.0 over ~1800 miles. We can get 10 out of it if we're not towing and I can control the weight of my foot. It seems happiest around 62-64 mph.

The HJ was our second choice - we wanted the fireplace / entertainment center, but we preferred not having to pass through the bathroom to get to the bedroom.

One thing that does drive me nuts about the FK, though, is that you have to walk around the bed to get into the bedroom. The bed should be on the opposite wall, IMHO, but I guess putting both slides on the same side wouldn't be a great idea structurally.

Ty
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #5

Ty, after having w/d for 3 years it has become a necessity for DW hence the storage problem.

1600 rpm is max torque for tho Cummins. Best mileage and longevity would be running slightly above that, say 1700 rpm. I have the same engine in my Tiffin and over 3 years have averaged 8.9 mpg. I had hoped that the Seneca would do slightly better. Guess the 13' 1" height takes its toll.

If you switched bed sides and kept rest the same you would have to put closet et al on a slide to have access. If the d/w was on a slide I wouldn't have it on my short list. I don't want anything where the plumbing moves.

Walt
Old 03-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Ty and Walt,

I just purchased an HJ, haven't got it out yet. Ty, I was curious as to how many miles you get on a tank of gas, oh let's say bringing it down to just above a quarter of a tank? I've seen some posts on the saddle bag fuel tanks and that they may not hold the 74 gallons of fuel as they advertise.
fiorilsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

fiorilsa, you might consider driving on the halves until you get some idea of how accurate your gauges are. When you get to 1/2 tank start looking for a truck stop. Also, use the slowest fill rate on the pump. Diesel foams up and will shut off way too soon if you're using the high rate of flow at a truck pump.

In my search for a super C I found that Nexus is removing the 2 saddle tanks and is installing a 70 gallon tank. Its on an International chassis with a Cummins diesel. Hope Jayco is taking notes.

Walt
Old 03-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #8

I've heard the same rumors about the tank capacities. I'm not certain how much usable space there actually is, but I can tell you that the fuel gauge isn't terribly accurate. I ran so long on E on our last trip that I was concerned about running out. When I finally could stop for fuel, I was at 553 miles and put a total of 60 gallons in - meaning I should still have had ~14 gallons on board. Anyway, based on that experience, I'm using 500 miles as my per-tank limit.

Regarding the fast-flow pumps - yes, the diesel does foam a bit, but since you have to fill both sides anyway, switching to the other side gives the foam time to subside so I can top them off.

Oh yeah, and Walt - I agree with you - having a single fueling point would be so much better!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #9

Ty and Walt,

Thank you for your input! I guess I will just do a little experimenting and see what happens. I've seen on other forums that 500 miles is the norm on the new Seneca's. I'll let you know.

Thanks again, Sal
fiorilsa is offline   Reply With Quote