Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Cool Seneca 37FS Storage Compartment Latch Broke

Yep, had a latch to one of the storage compartments break. I couldn't open the storage compartment, so What Do You Do?

Well, it was the compartment for the propane tank, so its open from underneath and I got under the coach and with a screw driver I could force the latch open and investigate what went wrong.

Took the latch apart, 4 screws from the inside and found the white metal casting latch piston broke. I've been in to these latches on a couple of doors, but usually that is because it wouldn't activate and latch, this was the opposite, it wouldn't open. The pull latch on the outside was not touching anything, no friction at all.

For latches that won't latch or lock, my fix is to disassemble down to the Phillips screw that has worked loose and put it back tighter with a little Blue Loctite. Seems to be a workable fix.

Got on the phone to my dealer right away and have new one coming, plus a spare. Complete mechanism has to be ordered, but I just need the piston/latch part. So be it.

Now I'm prepping to travel home for Christmas and I've got a couple of questions floating through the grey matter. What if the part doesn't get here in time? I need to be able to get in to that compartment, its where I will need to fill the propane tank and we are going to colder parts of this Country. Once I close the door, I may have to reopen it.

So lets have some fun, I've worked out my solutions for this time and for the future, but what would you do?

How about another compartment, that has a solid bottom, how would you get it open? I've got an idea, how about you.

So I've figured a couple of different solutions and temporary fixes.

I'll let this sit for a couple of days and then post my thoughts and solutions by the end of the weekend.

Stay tuned.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:45 AM   #2

Solution

I would start with a 1985 delorian and a flux capacitor. Obtaining 1.21 gigawatts I would travel back in time two weeks and order a replacement. Then, go "back to the future" one day prior to failure and integrate the new latch.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
I would start with a 1985 delorian and a flux capacitor. Obtaining 1.21 gigawatts I would travel back in time two weeks and order a replacement. Then, go "back to the future" one day prior to failure and integrate the new latch.
Wow, great suggestion! I would probably start with a haligan and sledge. Yes, I would cause extensive damage, probably thousands of dollars worth. But I would get in and feel good about it for about a minute. Then I would be wishing for that flux capacitor.

Ok, I really do want to know the answer. I know it will happen.

And when I order the new latch I will be happy that it will not need to be painted. Lol
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

You could always put an access panel in the bottom much like the water closet access or the electrical connection access.
brtnsnwbrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnsnwbrds10 View Post
You could always put an access panel in the bottom much like the water closet access or the electrical connection access.
I thought of that, but I always have so much in my storage compartments that something would always be sitting on top of the access port. Your on the right track, but need a better location that the floor of the compartment.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

Wow! I really thought more of you would have chimed in. I'll lay the plans for my temporary fix, so I can go down the road and still get in the propane tank compartment and my possible solution if it happens to another compartment that isn't open on the bottom, in the future, on Sunday, the 10th.

Think about it, how you going to continue to travel with a broken door latch, that you currently have open, but when you close it, you can't get it open again?

Or how are you going to continue that well planned trip that is getting totally messed up by a piece of pot metal. Its not going to stop me and I hope we can come up with a potential plan that makes it, that a piece of pot metal won't stop you.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #7

Okay, its Sunday morning. Here's my solution to the problem of a broken door latch and how to get in to the compartment, if the latch mechanism is broke and will not open.

This happened to us and I was fortunate enough to have it happen on the propane tank locker, which is open on the bottom. I was able to crawl under the coach and get a straight blade screwdriver in to a position to open the latch. Once its open, you can tear into the latch unit by removing the 4 screws on the back. In my case, I found the main pot-metal bracket broken at the weak point and immediately ordered another one from my dealer. In fact, I ordered 2, so I would have a spare. Never expect something like this to only happen once.

So part is ordered and until it gets here, I'm kind of just holding the door shut with a trucker's strap. BUT, we are planning to travel on Thursday and by then I need to be ready to move, even if the part hasn't arrived. My solution is to exchange the latch with another latch that I don't use as much. Since we are in Florida and going to move up to Alabama for the Holidays to be closer to home and the propane tank is a compartment, I want to be in quite often in cooler temps. My plan is to exchange the latch with the one to the battery compartment. Its open on the bottom and I hardly ever get in there.

That's my temporary solution, but what about the compartments that have a solid bottom? I have lots of stuff in all the compartments and trying to find an open spot on the bottom big enough to drill a hole and reach in to work the latch with a screwdriver is iffy. But on the wall, right by the latch and this is much more likely to be a space to get a tool and hand in the problem compartment.

There are a couple of compartments that do not have a wall shared with another compartment and these may require the drilling from the bottom and if stuff is laying in the compartment, it might need to be quite a large hole to be able to move stuff around to get access to the latch.

Black plastic can be found to fill in the access space you created. My favorite is the cheap cutting boards, you can find in the big box stores. Yes, it is usually white, but so easy to cut and work with simple hand tools and files. it makes a very nice access panel. Held in place with machine screws and caulkiing its ready for the next time, stuff happens. Yes, if you keep the coach long enough, there will be a next time.

Pre-planning is what we always said and used in the USCG. "Semper Paratus - Always Ready", makes it that things don't have to be a panic, a disaster or doom and gloom. Its just life and living it. I hope this documentation helps somebody in the future.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #8

Interesting your propane door is lockable; it shouldn't be for safety (emergency shut off valve access) reasons. My current and former MHs did not have lockable propane bays. Is the latch receiver accessible from the adjacent bay? If so wonder if you can unbolt it to free up the locked door. Do you see drilling out the lock as an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #9

Wonder if we should be more careful when closing the door to minimize failure? Thinking pull back the handle and slowly release it once the door is held shut with the seals compressed.

Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #10

The propane door is not lockable and the broken part has nothing to do with the key. So drilling out the key would do no good. The part of the latch that broke is the main piston, that is angled at one end and actually is the part of the latch that holds the door shut.

Yes, I would agree that we need to be careful when closing the doors and not slam them. I never slam, but I have just closed expecting it to shut. This particular door latch has always been a little difficult and I'm constantly pulling on the "Bail" to align correctly. I've never have justified why this "bail" reacts different than all the others.

I'm using the word "bail" to describe the wire attachment point on the door jam that the "latch", the part that broke attaches to. The "latch" is the "piston" that is the moving part of the lock that moves when the handle is pulled and has the slanted surface that rubs against the "bail" and is held behind the "bail" to hold the door shut.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #11

Interesting question and a little bit of a brain teaser. I have been stewing about this since it was first proposed. I too thought about installing a passageway that could have sealed port added or perhaps drilling out the hinges but neither would really get to solution in a practical manner.

It appears there are two possible solutions
1) could attempt to slim jim from the top on the passenger side or the bottom on the driver side, and press down on the actuator. You would have to look your other units to determine exactly were this is located. This would be the way I would try it especially on the drivers side where you could fairly easily get the rod between the door and gasket, the other side would be much more difficult to do without causing some scratching on the door. I would probably try this for about 15 minutes and then revert to the next idea. If you had access to camera probe like the Milwaukee unit that would help a lot and increase your success rate
2) Drill out the four screws holding the face plate on, The face plate with the handle is the only thing keeping the door closed. If you drill this out the face plate will come off and the door should open, sounds easy but could be a pain as you are doing this blind on a sloped plastic surface. if you did not want to drill you could simply cut it off face plate. If the rod between the actuator and paddle is still there you would need to cut that as well.

Basically there are three items involved in the unit to keep the door closed. The outer faceplate/handle, the inner actuator and hasp and a metal cover. The cover on the inside has screws that pass through the actuator/hasp device into the face plate. To take the unit you simply remove these screws and release the actuator connection rod to the face plate and everything comes out. So logically if you release the screws by drilling them out from the front it should all fall apart.

Not pretty but at least you would have access. Also not sure of the cost but again depending on what is in there not much choice that I can see.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #12

RVermont,
I think your idea would work, but it sounds very destructive or potentionally destructive.

I found out today, that the parts will most likely not make it, so "Plan B" goes in to operations tomorrow. I plan to swap the door plunger/piston/ what ever you want to call it, between the propane door and the battery door, tomorrow. Loctiting the screw. Don't expect anything to be physically damaged and when the part comes in, I'll crawl under the coach open the battery door with a screwdriver actuating the broken plunger and then put the new plunger in there. The screw that holds everything together will have Loctite applied to the threads, because I've had to do that to 2 doors already and this will make the third and then the fourth with the replacement of the plunger. No damage to paint, finish or trim.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #13

I agree, it would be totally destructive of the outer handle and flange and possibly the hasp as well. I just don’t see any other way in if this occurred on a storage locker.

Sounds like you have a good plan to get by until your parts arrive.

Does this issue look corrosion related due to being in the open bay or just a fatigue issue?

Old 12-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #14

Was the broken part caused by corossion or fatigue?

Actually, I'm guessing it was just a weak spot from manufacturing. There is probably no other door that I open more often, except maybe where the power cord is or the one where the water and sanitation pump are located.

I keep the cleaning supplies on the shelf above the propane tank and I'm in it a lot. Anyway, things break and you fix them. Blessed to get to play with this truck and travel the way we do.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #15

Blessed to get to play with this truck and travel the way we do. [/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Great way to see this amazing country.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #16

We are all blessed

We are all blessed!