Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Seneca AC Compressor dead?

We have a 2018 Seneca with Coleman 48000 series AC/Heat Pump units. While getting ready for a trip today I discovered no AC from the rear unit. Fan works on both speeds, but no AC.

Checked the wiring from the thermostat and I have 12 volts across the blue common wire and the yellow compressor wire at the control box. I jumped the freeze sensor so that is not in the loop.

I went up top and checked for voltage across the start capacitor, I have 226V there. I took the cap off the wiring terminal on the compressor. I have 120V across the black and white wires, and I have 226V across the red and white wires. But no running compressor.

I assume this means a two year old AC unit compressor has failed? (just outside of warranty, of course)

Is there anything else to check?
ralett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralett View Post
We have a 2018 Seneca with Coleman 48000 series AC/Heat Pump units. While getting ready for a trip today I discovered no AC from the rear unit. Fan works on both speeds, but no AC.

Checked the wiring from the thermostat and I have 12 volts across the blue common wire and the yellow compressor wire at the control box. I jumped the freeze sensor so that is not in the loop.

I went up top and checked for voltage across the start capacitor, I have 226V there. I took the cap off the wiring terminal on the compressor. I have 120V across the black and white wires, and I have 226V across the red and white wires. But no running compressor.

I assume this means a two year old AC unit compressor has failed? (just outside of warranty, of course)

Is there anything else to check?
It may be a failed reversing valve. If the valve doesn't shift it creates excessive head pressure on the compressor and the high pressure switch doesn't let it start
Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #3

This happened to us on our 2017. No cooling just the fan. The problem was no freon in unit.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #4

We had the same problem in our 2017. Just like yours the fan worked but nothing else. Problem was no freon in unit. Ours came from Jayco that way.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #5

I found out that the AC units have a 3 year warranty for dealers - after dealing with CW and them screwing me around, charging me for a new AC unit after it quit just after 2 years. They replaced both of our AC units as part of the PDI inspection when they did not work.

I suggest that you contact Airxcel directly Here is part of an email I have with them:

Have your serial number ready before you call... If you have your paperwork, they put a sticker with the model / serial number on that package.

> > Hi XXXXXX, this is Eric with RV Products. I am a technician in our
> > tech support/customer service department.
> >
> > I was asked to investigate the experience you had with your
> > Coleman-Mach AC, and the service you received. I would like to look
> > in our system, and possibly see what information we have on the
> > case. Do you have the serial number of the AC you were having
> > trouble with?
> > If you would like to speak by phone, the phone number here to tech
> > support is (316) 832-4357, you would simply follow the prompts as a
> > technician, and ask for Eric if I am not the one that answers.
> >
> >
> >
> > Eric Botts
> > Technical Assistance Coordinator
> > RV Products, a division of Airxcel, Inc.
> > 3050 N. St. Francis
> > Wichita, Kansas 67219
> > Normal Hours Of Business:
> > 8am - 11:45am CST and 12:45pm - 5pm CST
> > Office: 316.832.4357
> > Fax: 316.832.3417
> > www.Airxcel.com<http://www.airxcel.com/>
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #6

So additional troubleshooting reveals the compressor works and pulls the appropriate amps until it gets too hot. At that point the thermal cutout switch opens and the compressor stops running. Even when the compressor runs, there is no cooling so it has to be a "no Freon" situation.

I finally found an independent RV shop who can service this thing before August (dealers appear to be universally pathetic if you need quick service). If he can find a new unit in stock somewhere we should have this thing replaced next week.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #7

Coleman Mach 15 HeatPump

I have a 2018 Seneca TS and the rear Coleman Mach 15 48004-869 just blows ambient air. Tech looked at it and only drawing 7 amps and needs replaced. Pretty weak that just a few months out of warranty it takes a crap and nobody has the units in stock. Looks like I am not alone with this problem. I called Airxcel and they told me that I would have to basically purchase one from a dealer/vender to get myself inline for when they come in. If I wanted to go to a RV store and walk in it would probably e winter before they had them. Pretty frustrated to say the least!
Actionautorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #8

Please see your post
Actionautorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionautorich View Post
I have a 2018 Seneca TS and the rear Coleman Mach 15 48004-869 just blows ambient air. Tech looked at it and only drawing 7 amps and needs replaced. Pretty weak that just a few months out of warranty it takes a crap and nobody has the units in stock. Looks like I am not alone with this problem. I called Airxcel and they told me that I would have to basically purchase one from a dealer/vender to get myself inline for when they come in. If I wanted to go to a RV store and walk in it would probably e winter before they had them. Pretty frustrated to say the least!
I feel your pain. I am still trying to get mine replaced. I had to resort to putting a window AC unit in our rear window for our summer trips. My model is still on back order with no ETA from the factory.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #10

We had the exact same situation on my '14 model. Just beyond the 2-year warranty, the rear air mysteriously lost refrigerant. When you replace it, airexcel gives you the opportunity to buy an extended warranty, I believe extends it out to 5 years.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #11
Sam

I had to replace my front A/C two years ago, same problem as many of you described, not blowing cold air. A tech said it had no Freon. At that time I had no problem finding a replacement and self installed. What was madding, the unit was only three years old. Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote