Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Seneca article 12/17

Seneca 37HJ

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Very useful comment regarding the air-ride seats: "Bumps and vibrations not handled by the suspension are controlled by the air-ride cockpit seats. Although the macho-truck look provoked initial thoughts that the ride was going to be less than stellar, even with the advanced suspension, a few minutes down the highway and then on to uneven curved backcountry roads confirmed that it was ultimately a winning combination, supplying a smooth ride during road transitions and exhibiting very limited body roll."

Old 12-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Does anyone know yet if the air-ride seats could be installed on older versions and at what cost?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Site Team

That's a sweet rig! I have a buddy who has a older M2 with the air ride seats so they have been around a while.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Air ride seats are new to 2016 along with air brakes and a macerator on the waster water system.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

That's what I thought Mike. Pretty hard, as I understand it to put in air brakes after market, and somewhat problematic on the air ride seats as I understand it. So, there is a pretty good argument for new 2016 technology wise...drat...just less to leave to my heirs if I don't go with a used premium A.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #7

Has anyone heard why Jayco changed to an air brake-equipped chassis? I own a 2014 TS with "juice" brakes and have never been concerned about the performance of my hydraulic brakes, nor heard anyone else owning a Seneca complain about their brakes. And does anyone know if Jayco uses 4-wheel air discs on the '16 models, or did they take the less expensive route of using air drum brakes?

As far as the new seats, I'm afraid if the ride was much smoother I might doze off at the wheel! Coming from the very "busy" ride of my former Ford-based Class C units, the ride of my Seneca is so much better and I am very happy.

Maybe they are trying to attract former DP owners who are accustomed to these features?
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

I've never been impressed with the hydraulic brakes in our Seneca, seems like I need the engine brake to slow and stop the unit especially if towing the trailer. I added the front Bilstein shocks as they made a huge difference in ride quality and handling. Non air seats seem fine to me, as the new ones don't get the matching fabric as the rest of the interior, only seat color is grey. Don't understand that one...
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #9

When I last went to the CAT scale I was towing my '14 Explorer and my GCWR was just a tad over 29K, the coach alone was around 24K. Full water, fuel, propane, provisions, DW, and two grandsons. Is your combination weight greater with your trailer? Have you had an opportunity to drive a new Seneca to see whether or not the air brakes improve how it brakes? It may matter more as one gets closer to the maximums.

And regarding the air seats, if indeed they are not available in a matching covering I am with you with in preferring seat fabric that complements the rest of the interior.

I still would like to install air horns as compared to the wimpy electric one on my unit, anyone know if they made that upgrade on the new units?
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #10

Robby, I weighed the Seneca just as you did, full weight watered and loaded 23K and change. The trailer I tow comes in around 7,700lbs depending on the trip. I live at 3,400' elevation with a 3.5 mile grade that varies between 6 and 12% just leaving my association. Thank God for the engine brake! I've thought of performing a brake fluid change and bleed to attempt better braking as they just don't seem right. The new air brakes are drum, not sure of the performance of them however, I'm going to test drive a '16 just to feel the difference. I'll report back after the drive.

LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote