Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Seneca Back Up Camera

Hi everyone,

We have a 2006 Seneca 35GS in fabulous condition and absolutely love it.

It has a Black and White low resolution back up camera; which we’d like to upgrade.

Has anyone upgraded their camera system?

If so, please share what you’ve done. What camera and display did you use?

Were you able to use the existing cabling?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Con
PS. Here’s where we live and do much of our RVing. https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com

If you haven’t visited you might want to consider it. Total square area for Newfoundland Labrador are 156,453 square miles. To put that in perspective, Texas is 268,341 square miles. Texas is about 40% bigger with a population of 28.3 million.

Newfoundland has 520,065 people. Yup you read that right. Want to go off grid? No problem. Want to hook up in a nice RV Park. No problem. Check us out. You’ll be glad you did.
Con Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

We replaced ours with this one and also did the same in our previous coach;

https://www.costco.com/1-Backup-Came....11526596.html
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #3

Thank you the quick reply. That Costco unit looks good and had good reviews. Certainly, the price is right.

Did you use the existing wiring or did you run new cables full length of the RZv?

Thanks again.
Con Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Dunphy View Post
Thank you the quick reply. That Costco unit looks good and had good reviews. Certainly, the price is right.

Did you use the existing wiring or did you run new cables full length of the RZv?

Thanks again.
We used the existing cable in both installations as the factory-installed units had multi conductor cables.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

New color Camera

Just did this. I used the camera linked in this tread from Costco, works great, New monitor is bigger than old one so i modified the mounting bracket and installed in the original location in front of the old camera location. Old camera was removed, 3/8 plywood put in its place, painted black, then new camera was installed onto plywood. New cable was installed from rear top underneath to cab location.Hardest part was new cable from door kick panel to the A post.
plumberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #6

New Color Camera

PS... new cable was used because of 6 connectors in new wire vs 5 in old wire. Weather tight ends made to cables so all plug and play except for power, ground, and trigger wires. Monitor could be hooked to multiple cameras, three I think.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberdude View Post
Just did this. I used the camera linked in this tread from Costco, works great, New monitor is bigger than old one so i modified the mounting bracket and installed in the original location in front of the old camera location. Old camera was removed, 3/8 plywood put in its place, painted black, then new camera was installed onto plywood. New cable was installed from rear top underneath to cab location.Hardest part was new cable from door kick panel to the A post.
Clarification -- in the above -- when you say camera -- did you mean monitor?

If not -- how did you actually route/pull your new cable?
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

New color camera and monitor

installed new mount and color camera were old black and white camera was located, similar size camera and mount.Camera came with 60 ft cable with ends made to fit the camera and the monitor on the other end.New cable was fish from the camera location in rear top of 35GS to the driver side and down to the frame rail. Follow frame rail and zip tied to existing fuel lines and wiring harness to the front driver side.Under driver seat is a glove/ storage box that is only accessed when the door is open. In that box was 2 wire passing thru so I drilled a bigger hole, installed a rubber grommet, here is were i rolled up extra cable and left it there. From the glove box under the driver door went up under the door threshold (removed for install, driver kick panel also removed) across to kick panel up thru dash to the A pillar. A pillar was partly removed , sun visor removed then head liner was pulled down enough to get a hand in. Plastic odd shaped box that held old camera was removed and reinstalled when finished. While the box was out a double USB outlet was also installed to power Tire monitor display.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #9

I just installed this, couldn't be easier but its not cheap.

https://furrion.com/collections/came...rvation-system

Will be going back to Newfoundland soon, need another Moose
2022 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion
mmarsh2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
installed new mount and color camera were old black and white camera was located, similar size camera and mount.Camera came with 60 ft cable with ends made to fit the camera and the monitor on the other end.New cable was fish from the camera location in rear top of 35GS to the driver side and down to the frame rail. Follow frame rail and zip tied to existing fuel lines and wiring harness to the front driver side.Under driver seat is a glove/ storage box that is only accessed when the door is open. In that box was 2 wire passing thru so I drilled a bigger hole, installed a rubber grommet, here is were i rolled up extra cable and left it there. From the glove box under the driver door went up under the door threshold (removed for install, driver kick panel also removed) across to kick panel up thru dash to the A pillar. A pillar was partly removed , sun visor removed then head liner was pulled down enough to get a hand in. Plastic odd shaped box that held old camera was removed and reinstalled when finished. While the box was out a double USB outlet was also installed to power Tire monitor display.
thank you for the clarification and detailed explanation.
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #11

Quote:
How do you remove the monitor from the box it is mounted in. I have tried to pull the box. I have tried to pry the box off. Still thinking about it. Thanks
Bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote