Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Seneca backsplash

Has anyone taken down the kitchen backsplash and replaced with their own? I am looking to do so so I can tile the entire counter area, not the counter but the backsplash/side as well.

Any tips on how to remove the current backsplash is what I'm getting at? Seems a bit tricky.
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

You could call Jayco customer support to confirm - I would assume best case is it is applied with some type of double sided tape, and worse case construction adhesive. I wouldn’t assume it will come off cleanly so plan on the new backsplash needing to be slightly wider and taller (I would take a razor knife around the perimeter 1st)

I’m interested to hear how this turns out and the materials you use - I think the right side of the stove should have had backsplash from day 1 as well, but that would have cost an extra 5 bucks or so.....[emoji35]
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

X2

This is one of those things you watched them cheapen up over the previous year (2017 was nice!). I also would like to replace my backsplash which is only behind cooktop (some have it behind entire kitchen). Really watching this to see the ideas. Admittedly I am a bit intimidated by this particular project.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

This brings back some memories... we tried this on our prior motorhome, and failed miserably.

I can attribute these reasons for the overall fail:
1) Did the job in January/February when the temperature outside was near freezing. The inside of the MH was kept at 70F while we did it, but the wall was never at 70F. Do the project in Summer to make sure the adhesive sticks.

2) Used an adhesive that says it will work - but when we had the motorhome parked in the summer heat for a few weeks (100F days outside, hotter inside) the adhesive softened and failed.

We tried to salvage the whole project by purchasing and installing some decorative material and spice / storage racks that we could mount by screws thru the backsplash into the wall - to help keep it in place in the Summer.

...to be perfectly honest... I don't know what to recommend as adhesive - but get something STRONG as you can find.

Good luck with your project, we are following this one!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
snip

...to be perfectly honest... I don't know what to recommend as adhesive - but get something STRONG as you can find.

Good luck with your project, we are following this one!
We have found through the years one of the only adhesives to survive through the summer heat of Phoenix is Gorilla Construction adhesive.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

What I did 4-5 years ago was to cover both rear & right side with Plexiglass about 3/16" thick and just used 3M dbl sided tape . It's never been a problem and have never had to replace the tape.
The knife rack is attached from the back side of the Plexiglass so there are no holes or screws into the cabinet wall.
Pipe foam on the corner of the exhaust fan vent so we don't bang our heads on it and used the same dbl sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #7

I like an industrial look, so it's pretty likely I will tap one of my mechanical subcontractors to have them make me up a couple of pieces (or maybe one piece pre bent to fit into the corner) of stainless steel - that will last longer than I will..............
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote