Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Seneca Cab Noise at Highway Speeds

Have any of the other Seneca owners experienced a loud wind noise in the cab of their coaches? It is very loud and prevents you from having a normal conversation in the cab with out yelling at highway speeds.

Thanks

Ted
Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

I'm not experiencing any noise that would prevent normal conversation. Seneca owners had reported whistling noise from screw hole at top of mirror mount. I plugged that hole early on so no noise.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

Thanks Walt. I will plug the hole and see if that helps.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #4

The cab of ours isn't quiet by any stretch, but it's not loud enough to prevent normal conversation. I agree with Walt on the mirror whistling - a couple pieces of electrical tape took care of that.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #5

There is a hole at the top and bottom of this bracket. I filled it with plumbers puddy
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Loud like most diesel trucks but not enough that we can't carry on a normal volume conversation.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #7

Its a truck! With a big diesel engine, screaming down the road right on the other side of the windshield. Are you maybe expecting too much?

We had a distinguishable banging noise that was fixed upon delivery by installing a Velcro strip on the kick panel below the driver's door. Just not enough attachment points to a large fiberglass panel. The guys in the shop knew exactly what it was and said they upgrade on almost every one the prep.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

The weather isn't hot enough now but the cooling fans really make a whine that meets your characterization of the noise level. Look at the engine temp gauge. If it gets to over 200 degrees it will kick on. A bad thermostat could cause that problem in moderate temps.

I haven't heard that sound in mine since last summer.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #9

On our 2012 Seneca both cab doors had to be adjusted as you could almost put your hand past the door seal at the top of each door. After the adjustment we could talk to each other without raising our voices and added velcro to the chassis battery access panel below the driver's door as it was flapping going down the road.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #10

Our 2014 Seneca makes a loud whistle/whine noise only when throttled with 1,400-2,200 rpm. Above that or when letting off the accelator cab is relatively quiet. Assuming it is the turbo and is normal being a diesel.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

Holes at the top and bottom of mirror

Had the same problem with excessive road noise. Plugged the holes on the top and bottom of the mirror bracket problem solved.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

One other thing you might check is the Shifter Cable. If it's happening once you get into top gear at highway cruising speed and goes away immediately after you let off the throttle, that might be your issue. Some have described it, almost as a high-pitched cricket noise or something similar. For me, it was positively deafening. I took mine to FreightLiner over the issue and it was addressed under TSB-355625 / KPP-294201 and isolator kit 2650 fixed the issue. The kit was only $100 but they took 2 hours to install it so it ended up being about a $300+ fix. -It did solve my particular issue, however and was well worth it.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
One other thing you might check is the Shifter Cable. If it's happening once you get into top gear at highway cruising speed and goes away immediately after you let off the throttle, that might be your issue. Some have described it, almost as a high-pitched cricket noise or something similar. For me, it was positively deafening. I took mine to FreightLiner over the issue and it was addressed under TSB-355625 / KPP-294201 and isolator kit 2650 fixed the issue. The kit was only $100 but they took 2 hours to install it so it ended up being about a $300+ fix. -It did solve my particular issue, however and was well worth it.
Had that kit installed under warranty. Now ours is very quiet, normal conversation is no problem. No wind noise either.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #14

I had the same issue, but mine was still under Freightliner's warranty. They installed the isolation kit described to me as rubber grommets between the transmission and shifter plate. The "fix" reduced the noise by 90% however, the fix should be removing the transmission replacing the parts causing the noise in the first place not installing a band aide.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #15

I own a 14 Senica and have terrible windshield wind noise. I installed a bug shield from Freightliner thinking it would help but no difference or change. It maybe the character of the creature but I'm not going to stop trying to find a solution. Interestingly enough though I did notice that when the wipers are on the sound lessens when the left wiper extends to the outer portion of the windshield. I'm on it. Jan
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
I own a 14 Senica and have terrible windshield wind noise. I installed a bug shield from Freightliner thinking it would help but no difference or change. It maybe the character of the creature but I'm not going to stop trying to find a solution. Interestingly enough though I did notice that when the wipers are on the sound lessens when the left wiper extends to the outer portion of the windshield. I'm on it. Jan
Hey Jan -

Although we don't have the noise problem, I've noticed on ours that there is a good deal of "play" in the windshield when I press the tire minder mount suction cup against it. I wonder if your windshield seal might be coming loose. Have you taken it to a Freightliner shop to have it looked at?

Have fun in OSH this year - wish I could make it up there!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #17

I took the wipers off and drove it but the high pitch sound was still there. I too taped over the upper and lower holes of the upper left mirror bracket, made a huge difference. I always look for the more difficult things first I suppose. The air going over these two holes is like blowing over the top of a soda bottle like we used to do as kids, same deal. I may rap a piece of rubber over the bracket and tie strap it. This will eliminate the air passing over and can be removed if needed.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
I took the wipers off and drove it but the high pitch sound was still there. I too taped over the upper and lower holes of the upper left mirror bracket, made a huge difference. I always look for the more difficult things first I suppose. The air going over these two holes is like blowing over the top of a soda bottle like we used to do as kids, same deal. I may rap a piece of rubber over the bracket and tie strap it. This will eliminate the air passing over and can be removed if needed.
You guys must have bat hearing I have never heard that noise neither has anyone who rode in our rig.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

Oh man mine whistles like a high pitch flute and I'm hard hearing. I just made a little rubber faring which I tie strapped to the upper mirrors which eliminates all the noise. Wish I knew how to attach a picture.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #20

Thank you memphis2. All along I thought it was the turbo but realized it only made the noise when in overdrive and when OD was turned off noise stoped. I can't wait to get it to freightliner service center and have it fixed.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote