Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

Seneca Cold Weather Question

Quick question to all of you cold weather campers. How cold can it get for a stock non-insulated Seneca before I should worry about freeze damage? I have followed Slopoke and RustyNuts and RVermont on the modifications they have done to late winter camping. I am in South Dakota and will be making a run next week down to Texas over a couple days through Nebraska and Kansas and its expected to get in the high 20’s overnight and maybe as low as 20 one night. I have the Trauma Comfort on my 2018.5 which will kick on with propane at 41 degrees. I am mainly worried about the lines coming off the hot water heater and headed back to wet bay. My wet bay stays fairly warm with the propane heating it through the duct under master bed.
Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Before I did any work to mine we did get caught where 2 nights got down to 28 degrees and nothing happened, didn't have any lines freeze but it did get in the 60's during the day. If you run the Truma on Comfort that will keep the water in the unit at 102° and if it is in Eco it will keep it above 41°. Anytime we are in cold weather I keep it on Comfort as I feel if the unit is keeping the water above 102° then this will be giving off some heat to help keep the compartment that the WH is mounted in and it should get some radiant heat back out the supply line a ways I would think. I have this thermometer and like I mentioned I keep one sensor in the wet bay and if you wanted you could put one in the WH compartment cross over from the passenger side. The last small compartment on the passenger side actually goes clear across to the rear of the water heater.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01090...-garden&sr=1-1

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Quick question to all of you cold weather campers. How cold can it get for a stock non-insulated Seneca before I should worry about freeze damage? I have followed Slopoke and RustyNuts and RVermont on the modifications they have done to late winter camping. I am in South Dakota and will be making a run next week down to Texas over a couple days through Nebraska and Kansas and its expected to get in the high 20’s overnight and maybe as low as 20 one night. I have the Trauma Comfort on my 2018.5 which will kick on with propane at 41 degrees. I am mainly worried about the lines coming off the hot water heater and headed back to wet bay. My wet bay stays fairly warm with the propane heating it through the duct under master bed.
Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
We just got back from trip around northern Arizona, southern Colo, through Kansas back to Iowa. hit several nights in mid to high 20s. We have a 2018 Alante, had my "tank heaters" on during the night and disconnected the "city water". Twice we did have our pump quit working and had to wait till it warmed up for water. suspect some slushy water got into it?. If anyone has suggestions to avoid this issue would be appreciated
rkschul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

Hello all. I'm currently dealing with cold weather in our '08 Seneca, in Custer SD. Temps fluctuating from 20's to 30's, with nights in the teens coming soon. I'm potentially in Custer Park for somewhat long term, so I'm trying to avoid using propane to avoid constant refilling. Hooked to power, so I have a small 5 amp portable heater in water station compartment on all the time. Using a bigger portable porcelain heater in coach, pretty much on all the time. Couple other things, too, but they don't apply to your situation. Happy trails!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Sam

I inserted a tee into the main propane tank line and then a line to an out side 30 pound tank. We did this in TX last Jan when we stayed a month in and RV park. The nigh time temps were in the low 30 most nights so the heat pumps did not work. The 30 pound tank kept me from having to move the Seneca to fill the primary tank. Worked good enough. Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Before I did any work to mine we did get caught where 2 nights got down to 28 degrees and nothing happened, didn't have any lines freeze but it did get in the 60's during the day. If you run the Truma on Comfort that will keep the water in the unit at 102° and if it is in Eco it will keep it above 41°. Anytime we are in cold weather I keep it on Comfort as I feel if the unit is keeping the water above 102° then this will be giving off some heat to help keep the compartment that the WH is mounted in and it should get some radiant heat back out the supply line a ways I would think. I have this thermometer and like I mentioned I keep one sensor in the wet bay and if you wanted you could put one in the WH compartment cross over from the passenger side. The last small compartment on the passenger side actually goes clear across to the rear of the water heater.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01090...-garden&sr=1-1

Thanks again Rusty. I bought the thermometers some time ago. Work really well. Had in my refrig and wetbay and will probably move one to down by the waterlines in and out of the water heater. This is the weak spot. I'm putting in two small space heaters in next day or two. For anyone in similar cold run a search of Slopoke's posts he did a post with pictures of his install some time ago. In the meantime, no waterhoses out over night and no slinky sewer pipe to freeze to the ground. Thanks to all for posting.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
I bought the thermometers some time ago. Work really well. Had in my refrig and wetbay and will probably move one to down by the waterlines in and out of the water heater.
I am not sure if I would trust more than one wireless thermometer..

We have a couple of the Accurite indoor/outdoor thermometers that have the wireless outdoor sensor.. One that is at home, and another in the Seneca. For some reason, the house thermometer likes to connect to the motorhome outdoor sensor that we store inside of the Seneca bay... When we look at the house thermometer for the outside temp... it shows us the Seneca temp. I don't trust them unless we are boondocking. dont trust them in the RV park either.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #8
Pjm

Anyone recommend what type of electric heater to put in water compartments on a 2008 Jayco Seneca for cold weather protection
Pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I am not sure if I would trust more than one wireless thermometer..

I really like the one I posted the link to and it works great. It comes with 3 sensors, A, B and C. The main unit has the temp of where it is sitting on the bottom and then the top temp cycles between the 3 sensors.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seneca freeze