Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #21

Rob thank you for the addition information. This will help me get all my ducks in a row before begin this project.

regards

ed
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I meant to include that I used rivnuts since it is very difficult to access the back side of the step supports and use nuts and washers on the securing bolts. The rivnuts allow for a "blind" installation of the bolts.
Thanks Rob. This was not a project I planned on adding to my list Thanks for the input. I'll have questions for you when I get to it but hopefully down the road a bit.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #23

So I bought a pair of Kicker 5 1/4" speakers, tore apart the dash (Note: I am much better at tearing apart then reassembling, which DW was quick to remind me) and tried the new speakers. We were unimpressed. Kept switching from stock Panasonic back to Kickers and really couldn't tell a difference Really disappointed.

So now I am about to hit Amazon. Thinking of trying the Alpine's. Seems like a limited selection in 5.25 speakers.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
So I bought a pair of Kicker 5 1/4" speakers, tore apart the dash (Note: I am much better at tearing apart then reassembling, which DW was quick to remind me) and tried the new speakers. We were unimpressed. Kept switching from stock Panasonic back to Kickers and really couldn't tell a difference Really disappointed.

So now I am about to hit Amazon. Thinking of trying the Alpine's. Seems like a limited selection in 5.25 speakers.
I love my Alpines, but to be fair one of my stock speakers had what I suspect was a blown voice coil, nothing much at all would come out. Sounded like it was playing at 1/10th the volume of the other. And my original speakers were a one-way unbranded speaker. You mentioned Panasonic. Maybe Jayco is now asking for, or installing themselves, a better "original" speaker.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #25

Quote:
I love my Alpines, but to be fair one of my stock speakers had what I suspect was a blown voice coil, nothing much at all would come out. Sounded like it was playing at 1/10th the volume of the other. And my original speakers were a one-way unbranded speaker. You mentioned Panasonic. Maybe Jayco is now asking for, or installing themselves, a better "original" speaker.

Happy new year Rob. I ordered the Alpines on Amazon and they will be here on Saturday. I am hoping they will be better. I was surprised to find the Panasonic speakers. I really don't want to have to get an amp to get better volume. Also my hearing may not be as great as it once was.

If nothing else, it'll give me an opportunity to clean behind the dash. Lol
Old 01-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Happy new year Rob. I ordered the Alpines on Amazon and they will be here on Saturday. I am hoping they will be better. I was surprised to find the Panasonic speakers. I really don't want to have to get an amp to get better volume. Also my hearing may not be as great as it once was.

Happy New Year to you too Mark!

And I greatly sympathize with the hearing issue; for both of us probably too many years of sirens, air horns, K-12 saws, roaring fire pumps, etc. Hearing protection? We don't need no stinking hearing protection!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Happy New Year to you too Mark!

And I greatly sympathize with the hearing issue; for both of us probably too many years of sirens, air horns, K-12 saws, roaring fire pumps, etc. Hearing protection? We don't need no stinking hearing protection!
What did you say Rob? Lol. At least I see my son and the younger generation of FFs utilizing more of the PPE.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #28

Quote:

My stock speakers were Panasonic (paper cone) as well. One of my speakers was blown so the Pioneers I used as replacements gave me significant improvement. Can't expect much from a 2-way
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
My stock speakers were Panasonic (paper cone) as well. One of my speakers was blown so the Pioneers I used as replacements gave me significant improvement. Can't expect much from a 2-way
Happy new year Dave. All I'm looking for is a little more fullness and volume. My Alpines arrive Saturday so I guess I will see. I wonder if I will need to add an amp while the dash is apart?

See, here is the problem with this forum. I was dumb and happy and then you started all this with your post about how good the replacement speakers were and all of a sudden I was unhappy with mine. This has happened so many times since getting the Seneca. Lol
Old 01-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Happy new year Dave. All I'm looking for is a little more fullness and volume. My Alpines arrive Saturday so I guess I will see. I wonder if I will need to add an amp while the dash is apart?

See, here is the problem with this forum. I was dumb and happy and then you started all this with your post about how good the replacement speakers were and all of a sudden I was unhappy with mine. This has happened so many times since getting the Seneca. Lol
Happy New Year Mark! It was a great improvement for me just to get rid of that blown speaker. Hmmm...maybe some door speakers would do the trick? Just kidding
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #31

So after hearing Javamon say how easy it was to change the dash speakers, I figured why not, I don't like the sound of the stock speakers. So I tear apart the dash and based on the Best Buy guy's advice I buy a pair if Kickers. Didn't like them, no difference from stock Panosonic. Then I order a pair of Alpine off Amazon. A little better, I think, but not impressed. So before I close up the dash I start reading about sub woofers with built in amps and for about $100 on Amazon I order one with pretty good reviews.

I finished the install today and that is what I was looking for. It adds the fullness that was missing. It's not amazing but it is better and richer sounding. I installed them on the wall behind the driver seat facing the living area. And of course is app rotated the photo

Tomorrow I put the dash back together.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4438.jpg   IMG_4437.jpg  
Old 01-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #32

I finally got to hear my new Alpine speakers and sub woofer while on the road today. Wow! What an improvement!

I am very pleased with this mod.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #33

Quote:
I finally got to hear my new Alpine speakers and sub woofer while on the road today. Wow! What an improvement!

I am very pleased with this mod.
Now we just need some tweeters mounted up high aimed towards our heads...........!

Nice job Mark!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Now we just need some tweeters mounted up high aimed towards our heads...........!

Nice job Mark!
Thanks Rob. DW is happy, I am happy.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes, 5.25" is correct.

I replaced mine with the Alpine units pictured below, they do sound so much richer that the stock Freightliner ones I removed (and are in the Alpine box now!). Along with my Alpine subwoofer, I have half-decent sound in my cab now. Listen mostly to Sirius cruising down the road.
Hi Robbie , Can you let me know what is involved in replacing front dash speakers?
srxhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxhare View Post
Hi Robbie , Can you let me know what is involved in replacing front dash speakers?
It wasn't too hard, just some disassembly of the dash including removal of the upper dash pad. Proper size Torx screwdriver essential. Once the top pad is out of the way the speakers are readily accessible. One tip, don't overtighten the screws during reassembly.

I have attached a dash diagram from Freightliner that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Dash diagram.jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #37

Thanks Robbie!!! Appreciate the diagram also that will help!
Ken
srxhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #38

Quote:
It wasn't too hard, just some disassembly of the dash including removal of the upper dash pad. Proper size Torx screwdriver essential. Once the top pad is out of the way the speakers are readily accessible. One tip, don't overtighten the screws during reassembly.

I have attached a dash diagram from Freightliner that might help.
Robert, I am about to open the dash for the first time to replace the Voyager camera controller with a Rear View Safety Inc three camera multiplexer (using the existing cameras) that will drive a separate 7” monitor that I will place where it is more easily viewable to the driver. While I have the dash open I think I’ll also replace the oem speakers. The dash drawing you posted is very helpful! How much of what is shown in the drawing must be removed to gain sufficient access to changing the speakers, and removing and replacing the Vioyager camera controller? I will also have to access the wire harness that carries the camera triggers wires so I can connect them to the harness for the new RVS multiplexer. Thanks in advance to you or anyone else that offer some guidance.
James AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #39

After taking off the face trim you need to remove the screws by the window. All told there are about 20 screws. Everything comes out in two minutes with power screw gun. A little longer to get everything aligned and screws put back in. Need to remove the air brake button either unscrew or remove the pin. Once you open it up once you will see it is very easy to remove and replace as needed.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
After taking off the face trim you need to remove the screws by the window. All told there are about 20 screws. Everything comes out in two minutes with power screw gun. A little longer to get everything aligned and screws put back in. Need to remove the air brake button either unscrew or remove the pin. Once you open it up once you will see it is very easy to remove and replace as needed.
Thanks for the tips. Next step picking and ordering the speakers. Then... let the fun begin!
James AO is offline   Reply With Quote