Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #21

South Jersey Joe

That's about right. I ran down to Florida and back and put about 3700 miles on my Seneca and used 7 gallons. Seems the faster you drive the more you use. I top it off when we start out and carry a 2 gallon jug with me and usually have to stop at a Walmart to pick up another 2 gallons on the way home.
South Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #22

That's about right with my Seneca too. I carry a 2 gallon jug with me and usually have to stop at Walmart to pick one up some wear on the way home. I noticed the faster I drive the more it uses. The sweet spot on mine is 70 MPH.
South Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #23

About the same. DEF use depends a lot on amout of engine idle and amount of towing.
metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #24

Is removing the DPF and installing a tuner legal? Is that something I can do myself or is it better left to a diesel mech? What did the conversion cost?
metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #25

I wondered the same thing about the legality of a delete. The first item I found on a search was:

“Any product intended to modify or replace the smog-control system is totally illegal for use on any registered vehicle, be it driven on public property or private.

There are no exceptions. It’s a federal violation at the heart of our country’s smog laws that have been in effect since the ‘70s.”

I do know that around here many pickups have done deletes. I don’t know if it is enforced or not. I have seen the trucks that put out the heavy black exhaust known as “coaling” and I personally prefer not to breathe that in. Just sayin.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger View Post
I tow my fiver with a Ford diesel that I deleted (removed the DPF & installed a tuner) the day I bought it. Haven't used a single drop of DEF, plus my fuel economy is about 2 mpg better, as compared to my previous Powerstroke.

If I had a diesel motorhome and was using that much DEF, I would delete it as well.
Nope, that’s illegal, irresponsible, and selfish. Not something most of us RVers have a desire to be or known for.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Nope, that’s illegal, irresponsible, and selfish. Not something most of us RVers have a desire to be or known for.
Agreed. Plus it would very likely void the Cummins warranty on our engines, which lasts longer than the base Freightliner warranty. Allison would also likely decline its extended coverage for a problem since the torque output likely changed with a DPF delete.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
And a Texas Ranger at that !!!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
And a Texas Ranger at that !!!
Go to any vehicle forum and you’ll find a group of selfish and irresponsible ‘enthusiasts’ who routinely delete pollution control equipment in the search for HP and whatnot. Sadly, it is a common illegal practice.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #30

Finally a modification on this site I have no interest in doing.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Finally a modification on this site I have no interest in doing.
Oh good, cause you guys are killing me with all the mods and wish list stuff. Besides, if it was a good idea Robby would have already done it. LOL
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Oh good, cause you guys are killing me with all the mods and wish list stuff. Besides, if it was a good idea Robby would have already done it. LOL
Made me laugh... because it is SO TRUE!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Have you ever drove faster than the speed limit? That's illegal.

Have you ever fudged on your tax return? That's illegal.

Do you accept everything that the government dictates to you, especially when it comes to tree hugging?

Yes, deleting isn't legal, but for the most part it's not enforced in Texas. It's not checked during the required annual state inspection.

FYI - A manufacturer can't deny a warranty claim on a modification of this type unless they can prove that said modifcation caused the vehicle and/or one of it's components to fail.

A diesel exhaust filter/egr system causes reduced fuel economy and exhaust soot to be reintroduced into the engine. The result is the refineries have to make more diesel (causing more air pollution) and shorter lives for our engines.

I detest "rolling coal", so I use a tuner that runs clean, yields better fuel economy and will keep my engine health for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'll try to post some photos of how an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system looks after less than 15,000 miles. You're better off throwing sand, grit & tar into your intake manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
001-egr-valve-failure-diesel.jpg   1228493062-11.jpg   Clogged_EGR_Valve_Intake_manifold.jpg  
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #34

Hey Seneca gang, I'm new to the rig. Was all reg gas previously. Went to fill up today and noticed no gas cap. I may be stupid, but am I missing the cap or don't they use one? 2018 Seneca 37K. Also, traveled 500 miles and DEF is still full. Thanks for any help.
adonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #35

Thank for your mental gymnastics of why you choose to ignore science and convention.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonofrio View Post
Hey Seneca gang, I'm new to the rig. Was all reg gas previously. Went to fill up today and noticed no gas cap. I may be stupid, but am I missing the cap or don't they use one? 2018 Seneca 37K. Also, traveled 500 miles and DEF is still full. Thanks for any help.
Is this rig the new S2RV chassis with the single fuel tank, or the M2 chassis with dual saddle tanks? Either way I think something is amiss. The 2018.5 I saw at the show still had a fuel cap.
Can you post a picture? There are M2 and S2RV owners who likely can help.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #37

If it is a 2018.5 on the S2RV chassis with the single fill then yes, it should have a standard twist/click gas cap.
Attached Thumbnails
3090D1F4-FEAE-4C2B-A99A-79D6FF47DE3C.jpg   1468A4FB-14D1-4814-BDF6-91A200EC2AC0.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Wow. What kind of issues are you having?

Mine has had all little stuff I fixed myself.
Refrigerator, living room slide almost tore off had to be rebuilt. Carpet torn. Bolts extruding from floor. Water lines disintegrating. Half Bath not flushing. Tv and microwave not working. Full bath leaking.
OldSarge is offline   Reply With Quote