Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #1

Seneca electric buzzing

When plugged into shore power the Electrical buzzing coming from the panel under the master bed is annoying. Anyone had this issue and if so what did you do? It’s a feedback of some sort. Always constant and does not flux with load. Thx,
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 AM   #2

My converter makes a low hum when in use, however it is not located under the bed in my unit. It is located in the power circuit breaker panel in my bedroom cabinets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:15 AM   #3

That humming sound is coming from your transfer switch. Mine makes the same humming sound. I re-mounted mine on some rubber feet which helped a little, but not much. Most of our Seneca's have Progressive Dynamics transfer switches in them. If you look at their web site, you will see they sell 3 50-amp models, the PD52 which I have and the other two which include built-in surge protection. In looking at the description of the PD52DCS, you read this: "The new PD52DCS is provided with a DC coil that eliminates the annoying buzzing during operation, while the PD52S unit utilizes a standard AC coil". So unfortunately, the AC hum we hear from our transfer switches is normal. I was thinking of upgrading to the PD52DCS as a method of adding surge protection to my coach, instead of adding a separate surge protector. It would also get rid of the hum, but I haven't decided yet...
2012 Rans Seavo Tandem Bicycle
pmdevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

"I was thinking of upgrading to the PD52DCS as a method of adding surge protection to my coach, instead of adding a separate surge protector."

That's what we did. Simple install of changing wire for wire. Not much difference in price than a 50 amp surge protector. If you have any questions call their customer service. Great people!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #5

Sounds like a swap is the easy answer. I like my quite sleep...not the sound of bees. thx all.