Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Seneca Electric Stairs

I have a 2016 Jayco Seneca FS37 and I have problems with the electric stairs. If I open the door with the switch on, they won't go out. If I press the auxiliary power start button under the steering wheel, they will go out. I have taken it to the dealer a few times (that is another issue), and they say in the notes on my invoice "Found main breaker at truck batteries to be tripped. Reset to correct."

I have been told to remove the panel next to the driver seat and that is where this breaker is. I have removed the panel and I don't see any breaker. Does anybody know where this "main breaker" is?

Thanks,
Tod
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

My 2014 is indeed located on top of the (2) chassis batteries accessed by removing the panel in the driver doorway/steps area. 3 Torx screws to get the panel off.

My breaker is affixed to a bracket Jayco installed on top of my chassis batteries. Smaller guage wiring than battery cables obviously. Has a button on the breaker to press to reset the protection. Other Seneca owners have also recently posted about this exact issue but I don't remember if there were pictures or not.

If it has happened repeatedly something may be amiss and further troubleshooting may be in order.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

We don't have the exact answer you are looking for but there are many second-generation Seneca owners on these forums with loads of knowledge of their motorhomes.
They should be here soon.

The first-generation Seneca's steps are hot wired to the coach batteries.

Welcome to the Jayco Owners forums from another AZ member!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I looked again, and I still don't see a breaker. I took a picture of the top of my batteries and uploaded it to one drive:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Am43zRTRGgRSgtEtHdQ2E0_fw2828A

If you can see this breaker, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tod
Old 12-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

We had the same issue with our 2016 Seneca FS which affected the stairs and occasionally the slides. The dealer ended up replacing a circuit board in the back bedroom which controls everything and since we have not had any more issues. Sorry I don’t know the name of the circuit board or exact location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlburch217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #6

I opened the picture and I see the breaker in the picture. The breaker doesn't look like a normal circuit breaker, there is a contact you push back into breaker to close it, the breaker is the assy. mounted on top of your battery bracket.
ohiocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocamp View Post
I opened the picture and I see the breaker in the picture. The breaker doesn't look like a normal circuit breaker, there is a contact you push back into breaker to close it, the breaker is the assy. mounted on top of your battery bracket.

Roberson RV in Salem is who tracked my issue and did all the warranty work and you are welcome to call them. I think I recall the jacks working intermittently as well.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Is this the breaker?
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20171222_125442b (Small).jpg  
Old 12-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
Is this the breaker?

I don’t want to mislead you but they originally thought it was that exact breaker but then tracked it down to the circuit board in the back on mine.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
Is this the breaker?
Yes that is the breaker.

2016 Seneca HJ
ohiocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes that is the breaker.
X2. That is exactly how mine looks.

Finally got home to open picture on my laptop, they wouldn't load on my phone.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes that is the breaker.
Thanks, Jerry.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
X2. That is exactly how mine looks.

Finally got home to open picture on my laptop, they wouldn't load on my phone.
Thank you, Jerry.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlburch217 View Post
We had the same issue with our 2016 Seneca FS which affected the stairs and occasionally the slides. The dealer ended up replacing a circuit board in the back bedroom which controls everything and since we have not had any more issues. Sorry I don’t know the name of the circuit board or exact location.

Interesting. I am out on the road and I am having interesting problems. If I am on battery the stairs, leveling jacks, and power electric cord reel will not work unless I push the auxiliary power start button under the steering wheel and then everything will work temporarily. If I plug into power then everything works. After spending a few days plugged in and then disconnect everything works on battery while we get ready to leave. When I arrive at the next RV park nothing works unless I push the button again.

When plugged in at an RV park I get a 5 chirp alarm every one hour and 10 minutes. I am thinking it is a relay problem, but now you say a circuit board it raises new possibilities. If you can remember anything about the circuit board please let me know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Interesting. I am out on the road and I am having interesting problems. If I am on battery the stairs, leveling jacks, and power electric cord reel will not work unless I push the auxiliary power start button under the steering wheel and then everything will work temporarily. If I plug into power then everything works. After spending a few days plugged in and then disconnect everything works on battery while we get ready to leave. When I arrive at the next RV park nothing works unless I push the button again.

When plugged in at an RV park I get a 5 chirp alarm every one hour and 10 minutes. I am thinking it is a relay problem, but now you say a circuit board it raises new possibilities. If you can remember anything about the circuit board please let me know.

Exactly the way you describe your issues is exactly what we dealt with including the chirps. I’ll call the dealer on Tuesday to get you the exact name and location of the circuit board went out.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlburch217 View Post
Exactly the way you describe your issues is exactly what we dealt with including the chirps. I’ll call the dealer on Tuesday to get you the exact name and location of the circuit board went out.

Wow, you have brightened my day! My wife and I have been trying to figure this out and the dealer has been no help.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #17

Same issues here

We're currently experiencing the same problems you've described with our 2016 Seneca FK. Just out of warranty, of course. 😏 Occasional "chirping" noises, sporadic step operation, reel, levels. This one has us stymied. Did you get to the bottom of it?? In Arizona for awhile so no longer can blame it on cold temps.
Thanks!
Sdhraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #18

Check that breaker first, but those chirps may be coming from the actual solenoid board. This should exist in your house battery compartment. The solenoid can be reset by disconnecting the house batteries to it for 5 seconds. What you are seeing is power from the truck batteries is not getting to the Jayco equipment (stairs, jacks, etc). These few items are connected to truck batteries rather than house batteries so they will still work even if you have the house batteries turned off. What you are seeing is that when you press the button next to the key (aux start) you really are just causing a solenoid relay to connect the house batteries to the chassis batteries. It does this by just connecting the house batteries to the wires used from the chassis to feed the stairs and what not. Now note that this solenoid is also activated in two other ways...first is if you are plugged in. This allows your converter to charge both the house and chassis batteries. (This may be true also when the generator is running, but I dont know that for sure). Secondly, when you start the engine it will engage so now the engines alternator will charge the chassis and also the house batteries. This is why you more than likely are noticing it working when getting ready to leave, because the engine is running.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #19

Solved the problem!! Thanks so much. Appreciate your help.
Love the chirp of birds....our Seneca, not so much!
Sdhraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #20

How did you solve the problem? The breaker? Did you find the circuit board? Did you totally remove the battery cables?

Tod