Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2018, 06:19 AM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
From reading this forum and experience I know our fuel gauges are very inaccurate. That is why my first accessory was a ScanGauge. According to my ScanGauge my low fuel light comes on after I have used about 40 something gallons of fuel or about 400 ish miles.

My assumption is we have about 60 gallons of usable fuel, or 80% of the 74.5 gallon stated capacity. I use the 60 gallons to set the ScanGauge for miles to empty. I find the ScanGauge to be accurate to about 1 gallon of actual usage. It would be really comforting to know the actual capacity of the tanks but I am not willing to drain the tanks dry and refill to find out.

There are users here who have stated Extendafill allowed then to add an additional 5-7 gallons per tank. If I can add an additional 10 gallons per fill up, which will extend my range by approximately 100 miles and protect my paint around the fuel openings. I will consider it to be money well spent.

I'm with you. I've observed that actual advertised capacity of my tanks are 40 on the starboard and 34 on the port side (minus the 5% expansion capacity required by lawyers.) The sending unit for the fuel gauge on the dash is in the port side tank and there appears to be no sending unit on the other tank. The same is true on one of my M2 work trucks. I notice the gauge moves around when the tanks equalize.

The reason we can't use all the fuel is that the ports that allow the fuel pump to draw fuel from the tanks are not on the bottom of the tanks, rather a few inches up the "radius" of the tank. Somebody had to have a reason for this, and I'm speculating that's related to ground clearance...same reason we have the quirky "balancing system" which would be better handled with a pipe connecting both tanks at the bottoms and allowing gravity to do its work.

I can also speculate that in a mishap, such a simple tank-balancing method might dump fuel from both tanks all over the road, which would not be good for anyone. That may be why it is done this way.

I like your idea for the ScanGuage. I think I will get one. Do you know if they are all the same, or do I need to find one specific to my 2012 Freightliner with Cummins 340hp?

I've also wondered if anyone has tried the "See-Level" like some folks have used to get accurate readings on their sewer tanks. The concept seems identical, and the SeeLevel seems to be just an induction sensor or a magnetic float switch, depending on the model.

Happy to hear anyone's thoughts/experience.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
I have not verified this guy's comments, but he sounds legit and I'm going to try it myself (with a couple diesel cans in the basement if needed.)

Jayco Seneca Freightliner M2 Fuel Gauge Not Working or Incorrect (I only fill 40 gallons when I should have 75 gallon tanks) | RV Underground
Nice site that RV Underground although not much content. With the allegedly new & improved fuel level sensors installed in the tanks, I was able to pump 40 gallons in when the fuel gauge showed one quarter tank remaining. So for me this means I still have an extremely conservative fuel gauge and have confidence that going to 'E' will not be a big deal. As others do, I rely primarily on the Scan Gauge to tell the truth.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
Somebody had to have a reason for this, and I'm speculating that's related to ground clearance...same reason we have the quirky "balancing system" which would be better handled with a pipe connecting both tanks at the bottoms and allowing gravity to do its work.
I can also speculate that in a mishap, such a simple tank-balancing method might dump fuel from both tanks all over the road, which would not be good for anyone. That may be why it is done this way.

I like your idea for the ScanGuage. I think I will get one. Do you know if they are all the same, or do I need to find one specific to my 2012 Freightliner with Cummins 340hp?

I've also wondered if anyone has tried the "See-Level" like some folks have used to get accurate readings on their sewer tanks. The concept seems identical, and the SeeLevel seems to be just an induction sensor or a magnetic float switch, depending on the model.
RayBo - You are correct about the tank balancing system, most new Class 8 truck manufacturers have done away with the low cross-connect hose due to ground clearance issues. I don't know if it was regulated out of existence or the manufacturers did it voluntarily because of spill issues. In my 33+ years on the fire department I can't count how many times we responded to diesel fuel spills relating to that hose getting ripped off, dumping sometimes 100+ gallons of fuel. Even a tire alligator in the road hit just right (wrong?) can tear it off. And the spilling responsible party (vehicle owner) is responsible to pay to have it contained/cleaned up, including the charges from the local first responders (Fire Department HazMat Team). Federal law allows us to bill for our services at such incidents, and it isn't cheap! I suspect newer Seneca owner Mark S has similar experiences from his former Fire Department employer!

I am fairly certain the original ScanGauge D will work for you, the newest Senecas need an adapter, but my 2014 did not require the updated connection/cable. But an email to the manufacturer will confirm which one you need.

As one who has installed a SeeLevel system I can tell you the RV tank level indicating system will not work, the instructions specifically say it will not work on metal tanks. However Garnet (SeeLevel's manufacturer) has other tank level indicating products, I think their RV line is not even their primary business. You have piqued my interest, I might do some research on that subject!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #44
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
RayBo - You are correct about the tank balancing system, most new Class 8 truck manufacturers have done away with the low cross-connect hose due to ground clearance issues. I don't know if it was regulated out of existence or the manufacturers did it voluntarily because of spill issues. In my 33+ years on the fire department I can't count how many times we responded to diesel fuel spills relating to that hose getting ripped off, dumping sometimes 100+ gallons of fuel. Even a tire alligator in the road hit just right (wrong?) can tear it off. And the spilling responsible party (vehicle owner) is responsible to pay to have it contained/cleaned up, including the charges from the local first responders (Fire Department HazMat Team). Federal law allows us to bill for our services at such incidents, and it isn't cheap! I suspect newer Seneca owner Mark S has similar experiences from his former Fire Department employer!

I am fairly certain the original ScanGauge D will work for you, the newest Senecas need an adapter, but my 2014 did not require the updated connection/cable. But an email to the manufacturer will confirm which one you need.

As one who has installed a SeeLevel system I can tell you the RV tank level indicating system will not work, the instructions specifically say it will not work on metal tanks. However Garnet (SeeLevel's manufacturer) has other tank level indicating products, I think their RV line is not even their primary business. You have piqued my interest, I might do some research on that subject!

I am grateful for your guys' help. Thanks so much. I'm going to keep working it and coming back to report and ask and offer.

Best
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #45
Lost in the Woods

Also, having clicked "send" too soon, I wanted to say that the SeeLevel thing I was researching was this:

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...l-truck-gauge/

Just wanted you to have the info for your own search. Let me know whatever you think and I'll do the same.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo;596839[url
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/products/seelevel-special-truck-gauge/[/url]

Just wanted you to have the info for your own search. Let me know whatever you think and I'll do the same.
I will have to check it out!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #47
MD3

I just ordered a set. Hopefully they get here soon. I have a trip planned that will be great to try out the added capacity.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #48
MD3

Just installed my Extendafill.
I can’t say enough good things about Gord. I had some questions and he was super quick to respond each and every time. I had my tracking number as soon as it shipped (which was right after I ordered them). He followed up later to make sure I didn’t have any issues and any further questions. I can’t even begin to say how great it was dealing/buying from him. A lot of other company’s could take some lessons from him in customer service.
I have NOT had a chance to fuel up with the Extendafill on but I will report back once I do that.
Attached Thumbnails
3FC65661-3C9C-4FAD-8180-494BB88F4021.jpg   CA8B3433-9047-438A-8DF8-ADE1D4343B20.jpg   6C5FA99D-1542-43A3-9E9B-A66287E9E846.jpg   ABD456C2-9DED-47FC-A69A-061FE10DD828.jpg   6B714EFD-B3A6-4B40-B5C6-DEFBB36DB96C.jpg  

2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #49

X2 - Gord was great! Going to wait for some better weather before I install mine!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #50

x's 3 on Gordon. I emailed him a question and he not only got right back to me but followed up a couple of days later to make sure I resolved my question.

Installation was a snap. I purchased some boat gas cap chain and "S" hooks squeezed together to extend the existing chain.

The Extendafill made fueling up easier as the diesel pump nozzle stayed far away from the painted surfaces and the nozzle stayed in place.

I am not sure how much additional fuel I was able to add. The truck stop was crowded as we were heading out and I felt rushed. I had filled to capacity last fill up and drove about 30 miles and added 8 gallons, meaning I added about an extra 4 or 5 gallons. Now to be fair, the pump was really fast and I was afraid to add too much as it was spitting out fuel. I am sure I'll be able to add a few more gallons at least.

Just for the ease of fueling I am happy with the Extendafills. Gordon was great to deal with.

I am hoping next fill up I will be able to better gauge how much additional full I can add and will post results.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #51

Hard to install

When I first heard of this I thought there was no way I would need this; I like stopping for fuel to get out and walk around. However, seeing as how this would keep the fuel nozzle away from the pain, I am seriously considering it. Are they hard to install? Is there a specific model number you are ordering?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Are they hard to install? Is there a specific model number you are ordering?
They are easy to install. The hardest thing is pulling the trigger on the purchase price. Simply remove the fuel cap and screw the new extensions in place. Then tighten the set screws to lock them down.
You will need to extend the chains holding the cap.
There are no different models.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #53

Oh great......

Another feature I need to convince my wife we need. LOL.

Bob
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #54

Thank you all for the kind words. They will after a few fill's, become so routine it seem's like they were alway's there. This forum is a great place to help each other improve all our units and I am glad I could contribute, again thank you all , gord
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #55

I was looking at the Extendafill website and was ready to order when I noticed that there is a block for a coupon code. Does anyone have the Code and,if so, what does it do for you
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #56

Hi Harbour35 I have received your inquiry. We do not have a coupon code. We have noticed at time's when the site gets an automatic update things change and pop up. We have had on some orders certain cards that do not go through or the system doesn't like some address's . When these situations pop up my IT guy resolves the issue and every thing works as it should. He has helped several people with their orders to make sure they are able to complete the transaction. I apologize for any confusion and look forward to being of service to you.gord
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #57

After running with these for the last 4500 miles this spring, the only way I would get rid of these is if I get the new single fill port Seneca. Much cleaner and I can use the auto shutoff which was difficult before. Great product.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #58

I agree with all of the above. Made fueling much easier and I no longer worry about chipping the paint. And I like that I can add a few more gallons to the tank.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #59

I also agree. Put these on a month ago and love them. I easily go 500 miles before re-fueling and still have a safe margin of fuel left. Now if we could just figure out an elegant way to connect the two tanks together
2012 Rans Seavo Tandem Bicycle
pmdevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #60

I've got a question for the folks that have added the Extendafill's on your pre 2018 Seneca's. Can you leave the nozzle in unattended while filling your tanks or does someone have to hold on to it to prevent it from falling out creating a spill? I'm asking this because on my stock tanks they seem to have a notch like that the nozzle end catches on to so I can fill the tanks unattended.

Thanks much.

ed
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote