Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
MD3

Seneca - Extendafill

Anyone run these or a different kind of fuel fill neck extensions ?

I'm looking for something just like this but also looking for opinions and feedback before dropping $300 on these.

https://extendafill.com/

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 AM   #2

Works Great

I took the plunge on this as I always disliked the angle when I refuel of the tanks. Works great, perfect fit, and Gordon provided excellent customer service. Will post pictures shortly. Also, the web prices as Canadian Dollars...so its actually a bit less on the US side. Had I done this first, probably would have to replace door step trim or have paint nicks from pump handle.

Thanks for the tip!
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
before dropping $300 on these.

https://extendafill.com/

-
That's for a single extension, closer to $600 for the pair. No thanks, I'll deal with being extra careful during fills.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

The website says each unit ordered has two extensions. So $279 plus shipping for two. While not cheap certainly a better deal then $600. worth looking at for the benefit of protecting the fill area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
The website says each unit ordered has two extensions. So $279 plus shipping for two. While not cheap certainly a better deal then $600. worth looking at for the benefit of protecting the fill area.

Missed that detail, much better pricing. It's still not a priority for me yet.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

I am curious if this actually helps with totally filling the tank compared with protecting the fill area. On the Embark there is protective film around both tank fill areas.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #7

On mine I now fill to the top of the original opening rather than the bottom results in about 8 plus or minus a little more gallons per tank, US gallons are a little smaller than ours so you may see more , but yes you can get more in if you choose.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

. I like them. It is a set of two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbroussard View Post
. I like them. It is a set of two.

And I need to clean my caps!

Old 11-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Looks nice. You might consider going all-in with locking fuel caps.

Also, the basis for the sticker you got in the kit is from 49 CFR 393.67:

(12) Overfill restriction. A liquid fuel tank manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, must be designed and constructed so that—

(i) The tank cannot be filled, in a normal filling operation, with a quantity of fuel that exceeds 95 percent of the tank's liquid capacity; and

(ii) When the tank is filled, normal expansion of the fuel will not cause fuel spillage.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Looks nice. You might consider going all-in with locking fuel caps.

Also, the basis for the sticker you got in the kit is from 49 CFR 393.67:

(12) Overfill restriction. A liquid fuel tank manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, must be designed and constructed so that—

(i) The tank cannot be filled, in a normal filling operation, with a quantity of fuel that exceeds 95 percent of the tank's liquid capacity; and

(ii) When the tank is filled, normal expansion of the fuel will not cause fuel spillage.
Honestly I got it to help protect the paint job and make it easier to fill. Hitting the road tomorrow for a weekend trip and will bet a chance to try out the refuel.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbroussard View Post
Honestly I got it to help protect the paint job and make it easier to fill. Hitting the road tomorrow for a weekend trip and will bet a chance to try out the refuel.
Please let us know how much additional fuel capacity you think they add. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #13

I have these also and according to what I remember from my last trip, I was able to get approx.7 gallons per tank more on average with these babies on. As for the pricing, USA pricing is better than up here. It's $279.00 plus shipping then a 5% tax on it all, on your side 20% less due to your dollar is stronger. Travel safe!
gicanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicanuck View Post
I was able to get approx.7 gallons per tank more on average with these babies !
Wow that's impressive!

Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
MD3

Are you guys filling the fuel up into the Extendafill ?
7 gallons per tank (14 GALLONS) is a good amount of added fuel capacity.
Guessing it would have to seal tightly and not leak....

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:39 AM   #16

Yup we use an identical seal as the one in the fuel cap. For testing purpose's I have filled it over half way up the extension. As long as the final tighten has been done by a filter wrench or strap wrench it should not leak. At what level you wish to fill your tank and be comfortable is an individual's decision.
Attached Thumbnails
fuel cap level (6).JPG  
Old 11-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2retire&drive View Post
. At what level you wish to fill your tank and be comfortable is an individual's decision.

What potential issues are there with 'overfilling' each tank?

Old 11-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #18

The potential could be that due to expansion it may come out the over flow tube. Having said that I have used these since July of 2016. I personally fill mine to just above the original openings. To further peak my curiosity I have used jerry cans and topped tanks up even higher to see if expansion becomes a factor. I then parked my unit on my driveway nose slightly down and to the left .I inserted a boro scope to see how close the fuel was to the top, there was still air space at this level of filling. I left this to heat up in the sun and did not see any fuel out of overflow tubes. I have also filled tanks up higher at the pumps but then hit the road immediately to get maximum range and drop tank levels. The temperatures would be much higher in the southern states and this could become a factor? I will be travelling to the factory next April then south to Florida and back through Texas so I would have some more info then. I developed these to prevent scratches to the fairings, additional fuel capacity was not in the initial thought process and became known after trying a few fills. I do know we travel to the same location in the Rockies about 4-5 time a year to go atving. Before extensions and transmission reprogram I would use just over half a tank to get there, with these two modifications I now arrive having used just one quarter of a tank. I have spoke to Matt at Allison and will do one more mod next spring. To fine tune the shifts even more time, he mentioned I could wire in a second switch to the transmission and switch it from ecno mode to performance mode, all the while keeping my od switch operational. This may cover the shift lag spot when pulling a trailer up hill in heavy winds. So in closing people have purchased them to protect their units from damage and then fill to their comfort level.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

I believe the risk is small unless you fill all the way to the top of the added 'filler neck," when spillage could become a problem. Diesel fuel on asphalt is like black ice to a motorcyclist.

The coefficient of thermal expansion of diesel fuel is 0.00083 (on average depending on blend/additives) per/˚C, and not including the numerous biodiesel configurations.

Like all liquids, diesel fuel expands slightly in volume as its temperature increases. The coefficient of thermal expansion measures the rate of the expansion over an increase in temperature. A typical value of the coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00083 per degree Celsius (0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit). Using this value, 1.000 gallon of diesel fuel at - 7 °C (20°F) will expand to 1.037 gallons at 38°C (100°F). (About 4.7 ounces, over an 80°F increase in temperature.)

This means if your tank has a capacity rated at 25 gallons it is possible for it to expand up to 25.925 gallons in the described scenario. Meanwhile, a tank designed to hold 25 gallons of fuel must be designed to be at 95% capacity maximum, which means a tank advertised to hold 25 gallons will actually be a 26.31579 gallon tank to allow 5% for expansion. That means that in the above scenario there would be 0.39079 gallons of empty space left after expansion.

I intend to add the Extendafill necks to my Seneca soon, because a few of our destinations are "just short" of our range considering our generator usage, and it would be great to just fill up at my regular place when I get home.

I'm going to measure the height of the top of my tanks, then will score a line inside the filler necks before installing, so that I can know when I'm "full" and won't risk inhibiting the functionality of my vents and tank equalization system.

Just my 2¢, discounted today to 0¢, so take it for exactly what it's worth and understand it's not advice, just my own opinion. Ultimately, the worst that can happen is that it flips upside down and kills us all.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #20

I ordered mine on Saturday. I figured I would fuel up like normal, install the Extendafill at the pump (hopefully nobody behind me) and fill to the top of the original filler hole to see how much additional fuel I can reasonably add.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote