Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Seneca fixes and mods

Below are my observations/activities that I have implemented in my first 5 months of Seneca ownership

SENECA 37TS
Purchased Jan. 2018 Current miles 7948
Minor Repair Summary
• Furnace intermittent operation. Repaired poor connection at the front thermostat. Replaced shorted circuit board in furnace due to water drip due to connection for ice maker in refrigerator above not tight.
• Replaced approx. 10 of the self drilling screws due to head breakage. Multiple locations including: both rear fenders, propane quick connect fitting bracket, three storage doors on gas prop bracket and or hinge hardware.
• Adjust front doors to reduce wind noise. (Freightliner warranty)
• Modify plumbing on air vent lines for water tank to prevent tank “suck down” and collapse due to vacuum condition when running water pump.
• Replaced house batteries with AGM Diehards (originals would not retain charge)
Modification Summary
• Plastic plugs in mirror holes to reduce wind noise.
• Added 100 W. roof mounted solar panel for house batteries via factory pre-wire. Charge controller was mounted in the inverter storage compartment. May move to the interior panel location at a later date.
• Installed a hot water return line from kitchen faucet supply to water tank to prevent waste of water due to Truma unit. Push button and adjustable timer installed on side of cabinet. Needs from 30 to 40 sec to get hot water from the faucet. No loss of usable water.
• Installed 12V heat grid panel under water tank for cold climate protection.
• Installed Sirius radio module to Garmin Fusion radio and fabricated mirror mounted antenna bracket. Note: when installing this module I found that the reinforcing ribs were contacting the JVC amplifier module which created a gap and incomplete fastening of the right side IP cover to the top dash panel. I ground off the ribs to allow a correct fit and close up the gap.
• Cut out windshield and side window bubble/foil pieces to reduce heat and improve privacy. (Home Depot roll stock) If you cut carefully the side window pieces will stick in place. The windshield piece is retained by the sunvisors.
• Installed protective cover on bathroom roof vent to prevent damage and to allow venting during rain.
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:02 AM   #2
MD3

Nice list !!

I’ve done a few myself in the first 8 months :
- Extendafill fuel tank extensions
- covers over both bathroom vents
- roadmaster air brake system for toad vehicle
- 320w of solar using pre-wired system
- 58 gallons of extra fresh water tank (total +125 gallons)
- added a hitch camera since always towing something
- I also modified the water vent lines to stop water loss
- added 4th tv in the overhead bunk
- line out for addition audio for outside speaker
- air horns

Future mods still on the to-do list.
- cover over the steps for flat storage
- pass through storage rearrange wiring to make usable
- manual air down for rear suspension
- outlet in the electrical bay
- led under lights for the patio side
- add lower outlets in the kitchen
- figure out how to get sound from the stock rear backup camera

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #3

Where did you find room for the additional water tank ? Is it a remote fill and is it tied in to the main tank ?
We dry camp a lot and the 75 gal. is a lot smaller than our previous MH
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbour35 View Post
Where did you find room for the additional water tank ? Is it a remote fill and is it tied in to the main tank ?
We dry camp a lot and the 75 gal. is a lot smaller than our previous MH
It is plumbed (filled and emptied) independently. I then use a 110v transfer pump to pump it across to the Main tank. No sensors for the level in the secondary tank so I wait until the main tank is almost empty then refill main with the secondary. I originally posted up for ideas then copied the best one that would work for me.

Here is the head about it :
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ank-52289.html

-
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #5

I have a 2015 36 FK and I want to add an additional fresh water tank also. Where did you install your tank and how did you support it?
Roundtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

Looking at some mods for my Seneca.
I have a 2006 35 GS. Front entertainment centre has old school tube TV; looking to upgrade to flat screen. Has anyone out there modified there front entertainment centre? Encounter any problems?

My plan is to modify the middle section of cabinet only. If you have this unit or similar, there are two cupboards on each side, with the tv in the middle (protrudes about 9 inches).

Would be looking to have the entertainment centre flush across the front, with flat screen mounted on tv mount that would allow moving out for viewing.

This will require disassembly of centre portion; I can see screws from both inside the cabinet and underneath the cabinet (where single bunk slides). A possible Hangup is the bottom deck. Of the entertainment centre. It is built up about 2" with unknown build structure beneath.

Before I start ripping this apart, looking for some advice if you have done this.

Thanks
IamCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtowner View Post
I have a 2015 36 FK and I want to add an additional fresh water tank also. Where did you install your tank and how did you support it?
Pics and discussion is in the thread linked above your post.

Mines behind the rear axle. I built a metal frame to encase the tank.

_
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 04-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCanadian View Post
I have a 2006 35 GS. Front entertainment centre has old school tube TV; looking to upgrade to flat screen. Has anyone out there modified there front entertainment centre? Encounter any problems?
Before I start ripping this apart, looking for some advice if you have done this.
Previous owner changed out the front TV. I don't know exactly what the setup was before but here's front and back pics of how they did it.
Attached Thumbnails
20200616_151310.jpg   IMG_6218.jpg   IMG_6154.jpg  
Sony STR-DH590 for surround sound
LED headlights
KilMat on the cab floor & AutoDrive Center Console
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCanadian View Post

My plan is to modify the middle section of cabinet only. If you have this unit or similar, there are two cupboards on each side, with the tv in the middle (protrudes about 9 inches).

Would be looking to have the entertainment centre flush across the front, with flat screen mounted on tv mount that would allow moving out for viewing.

This will require disassembly of centre portion; I can see screws from both inside the cabinet and underneath the cabinet (where single bunk slides). A possible Hangup is the bottom deck. Of the entertainment centre. It is built up about 2" with unknown build structure beneath.

Thanks
The bottom deck is done with staples, it does go right up the edge of the side cabinets. If you are gentle, but forceful, it can be removed. Here's the images from the install we did of ours. You'll need to pull the side panel out with the electrical and cable connection. We flat mounted that after the bottom deck was removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3373.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	70098

Name:	IMG_3436.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	70099

Name:	IMG_3439.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	70100
1averageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbour35 View Post
Below are my observations/activities that I have implemented in my first 5 months of Seneca ownership

SENECA 37TS
Purchased Jan. 2018 Current miles 7948
Minor Repair Summary
• Furnace intermittent operation. Repaired poor connection at the front thermostat. Replaced shorted circuit board in furnace due to water drip due to connection for ice maker in refrigerator above not tight.
• Replaced approx. 10 of the self drilling screws due to head breakage. Multiple locations including: both rear fenders, propane quick connect fitting bracket, three storage doors on gas prop bracket and or hinge hardware.
• Adjust front doors to reduce wind noise. (Freightliner warranty)
• Modify plumbing on air vent lines for water tank to prevent tank “suck down” and collapse due to vacuum condition when running water pump.
• Replaced house batteries with AGM Diehards (originals would not retain charge)
Modification Summary
• Plastic plugs in mirror holes to reduce wind noise.
• Added 100 W. roof mounted solar panel for house batteries via factory pre-wire. Charge controller was mounted in the inverter storage compartment. May move to the interior panel location at a later date.
• Installed a hot water return line from kitchen faucet supply to water tank to prevent waste of water due to Truma unit. Push button and adjustable timer installed on side of cabinet. Needs from 30 to 40 sec to get hot water from the faucet. No loss of usable water.
• Installed 12V heat grid panel under water tank for cold climate protection.
• Installed Sirius radio module to Garmin Fusion radio and fabricated mirror mounted antenna bracket. Note: when installing this module I found that the reinforcing ribs were contacting the JVC amplifier module which created a gap and incomplete fastening of the right side IP cover to the top dash panel. I ground off the ribs to allow a correct fit and close up the gap.
• Cut out windshield and side window bubble/foil pieces to reduce heat and improve privacy. (Home Depot roll stock) If you cut carefully the side window pieces will stick in place. The windshield piece is retained by the sunvisors.
• Installed protective cover on bathroom roof vent to prevent damage and to allow venting during rain.
I would be very interested in how you devised, engineered, and installed the return hot water line for your Truma hot water heater. It sounds like a "must do" item. I just added the comfort control option to my Truma and while I was at the Truma factory I was inspecting the factory piping. It was CRAPPY. There was no supply and return shut off valves or a bypass valve installed. Jayco says it's achieved another way, but seriously, their engineering dept. needs to have a 24hour hotline to answer simple questions. The dealers don't have a clue. They try but they typically specialize in campers, not RVs. Sorry to digress, but I'd love to know how you accomplished this.
Damian Neeld
2018 HJ Seneca
Carmel, IN
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
I would be very interested in how you devised, engineered, and installed the return hot water line for your Truma hot water heater. It sounds like a "must do" item. I just added the comfort control option to my Truma and while I was at the Truma factory I was inspecting the factory piping. It was CRAPPY. There was no supply and return shut off valves or a bypass valve installed. Jayco says it's achieved another way, but seriously, their engineering dept. needs to have a 24hour hotline to answer simple questions. The dealers don't have a clue. They try but they typically specialize in campers, not RVs. Sorry to digress, but I'd love to know how you accomplished this.
Damian Neeld
2018 HJ Seneca
Carmel, IN

This is how I did mine....

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post816185

Here is how James did his...

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-72317.html

Here is how Rob did his...

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post553285

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #12

Rear Window

I have a 2015 Seneca and the rear window is an emergency escape window which can not be opened otherwise. I am wondering if it is possible to replace this window with one that you can open regularly to get some fresh air in the bedroom? Thank you in advance for any comments and help!
GRAMMY123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I had empty space above the propane take. (extra 22 gallons).
It is installed level with the factory tank so all I did was add a balance line on the bottom and a breather line on top. It fills when I fill the normal way. It empties with the normal tank. No extra valves or pumps.

You can see all my Mods on instagram @wanderingpeaches
the water take is the first post
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #14

last years mods and this years

Last year pulled tank covers to spray the steps , while they were off pulled my fuel tanks and had my fab shop weld in three 1" pipe bungs, Ran a cross over line to each tank and another to the 60 gallon fuel tank I built and installed. Fabricated a 2x3x3/16 thick inch crossmember to lay the fuel lines in to protect them. The cross member sits higher than the front axle and tie rod bar so well protected. Installed ball valves at each tank to shut fuel off if required. I can now fill all tanks from drivers side no turning around .Total fuel capacity aprox 130 gallons. this year installed new stove/oven combo and a basement freezer. Now more dust remediation, also had freightliner reflash engine to the 360hp program, four new rear tires, next week adding another solar panel and install a cell phone/wifi booster system, Wired in another 110 outlet in counter and one into my wet bay and back power reel center to power supplement heat in the colder weather when boondocking. Now just need to find that neat 9 inch towel cabinet Robby installed and to try and locate up here this Bilstein front shock, here's hoping they let us out to go and try all this stuff
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote