Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

Seneca Fuel Mileage improvement

Normally I tow a 2009 Ford Flex and get about 9+mpg. This weekend I tried an experiment where I reduced my speed to 55mph to see the effect on my fuel mileage. After about an hour and a half my scan gauge said I was getting about 10.5 mpg. This was on flat ground in Florida. I like the additional mileage, but definitely do not like driving at 55.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

Yes, speed makes a big difference. But where is the happy medium? I've been using 62-63 as my happy point, but I creep up if not using cruise. Towing the Jeep Wrangler I get 9-10 mpg.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
This weekend I tried an experiment where I reduced my speed to 55mph to see the effect on my fuel mileage....

I like the additional mileage, but definitely do not like driving at 55.
Driving on the Interstates or State Highways at 55 would get you run down by trucks and cars wanting around you... I try to run with the majority of traffic, unless it is absurdly fast.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Driving on the Interstates or State Highways at 55 would get you run down by trucks and cars wanting around you... I try to run with the majority of traffic, unless it is absurdly fast.
I have to agree. Too fast or too slow is basically the same danger. Drive with the traffic flow. If you have to be slower, stay in the truck lane and if below 45 mph, use your flashers.

We are driving a truck. We are licensed as an RV and that gives us some extra privileges. Drive safely and enjoy the experience.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

I tried the same experiment. I used to tow around 70 MPH with about 7 MPG. On my way home I dropped it down to 66-68 and got 8MPG. Then down to 64-66 and got 9MPG. Then 62-64 and got 10MPG. Big difference with adjusting your speed. This was pretty flat hywy from Wilmington OH to Cinti OH on I-71. 55 would be a bit too slow for my driving habits but 62 is easy enough and worth it. If I could just get the DW to be ready to leave "on-time" I would be getting great gas milage all the time!!! (lol). Of course Also noticed a difference with sway control when I drove to Louisville KY on I-71. There must of been a lot of wind that day because that was the first and only time I felt like I was being thrown around. Had to drive in the 50's that day!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

The need for speed is generally inversely proportional to age (and thus wisdom). There are exceptions to this, and you know who you are. On interstates, we are relaxed and comfortable hanging out in the right lane doing 60-62 when most folks are doing 70+. Our biggest concern there is getting out of the way of on-ramp mergers. On non-divided highways, we'll always do the posted limit so as not to incite road rage. The biggest concern around town is going slow enough so that stopping or slowing are not white knuckle events. We have found that the fuel economy and stress reduction benefits are worth it with these approaches.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #7

Personally, I like mine right around 68 on most interstate travel, which I feel gives me the happiest balance between fuel mileage, not getting run over, keeping up with most semi traffic. If we are towing my 20' enclosed, I'll bump it down to ~63. Without the toad, we average 10-11 and with it, it's more like 8-9.

Interesting side note: I used a '14 F-350 with the 6.7 to tow the same trailer, last night on a 250mi round trip and got 8.3mpg with it so I have to say, all-in-all, I'm very happy with how our seneca can tow.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Personally, I like mine right around 68 on most interstate travel, which I feel gives me the happiest balance between fuel mileage, not getting run over, keeping up with most semi traffic.
That is pretty close to what we are experiencing... We are heading south-east and find the Interstate speed limits are lower as we go East. (80 in Utah on I-70, I-80 and I-15) but find we are being passed by lots of cars, trucks and those pulling trailers when we are still running at 68 in a section of highway posted at 65MPH speed limits - (just running with traffic flow).

Since we are continuing our trip east this week.. We would rather be rolling at a speed where fewer idiots are trying to pass and cut/off our rig while they do.... and do that more safely than trying to save a Mpg in diesel. Heading to New Orleans this weekend.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

driving 55

I did notice that when I was going 55, I never had to move over to allow someone to merge onto the interstate. At that speed they could easily accelerate and get ahead of me. Also, it seemed like everyone who passed me, could do so easily, since they were going significantly faster than I was, so instead of semi's creeping past me when I travel 65, the could blow by and be gone quickly when I was at 55. As for road rage, I don't see that being an issue, since anyone wanting to go that fast on the interstate would not likely be behind me in the right lane. They are zooming in the left or middle lane.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote