Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Exclamation Seneca fuse box warning

If you own a Seneca with a Freightliner chassis please look under the drivers seat and check for the two loose fuse panels which may be there. Our 2016 37 RB left us stranded hundreds of miles from home after one of these loose fuse blocks made contact with the frame of the drivers seat, shorting out at least one major fuse. Eight hundred dollars later at Freightliner and limping back home with other electrical coach issues still not fixed we again put the new coach back in the shop and checked the two new coaches on the dealers lot and found the same issue on them. One a 2016 and one a 2017. Jayco takes these factory Freightliner fuse blocks which come mounted to the chassis and simply lays them loose under the drivers seat. Please check your coach to assure yours does not encounter a similar issue. I fear that even more vital components could fail resulting in injury or death from someones coach being in an accident. We hope to recover our costs from Jayco on this workmanship defect.
Airpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #2

Us too. Just bought the same motorhome, 2016 Seneca 37RB, and the fuse box was sitting loose to the right of the seat. Someone had stepped on it and every fuse was bent over sideways.
jimclawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #3

Red face Solution so far

My current fix to this problem is zip ties and rubber sheeting used to isolate the exposed terminals on the rear of the fuse block from making contact with anything metal. I am trying to post pictures about this but so far have not been successful. A better fix would be to permanently mount the fuse blocks. Sad to say but Jayco needs to do a recall to fix this issue properly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0687.jpg   IMG_0683.jpg   IMG_0689.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

Addendum

Ok so got the pictures posted, the top one is one block in our coach. Laying on the carpet. The second picture shows the exposed terminal which made contact with the metal frame of the seat. Note the point of burn or arc. The third picture is a 2017 37TS unsold on the dealers lot. Please don't get me wrong... we love our new motor home, our third rv, and this is the only serious problem we have had.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

WOW!! So many words come immediately to mind: reckless, negligent, lazy, stupid, greedy(?)...just to name a few. This is totally unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this to the forum's attention. I have a 2017 FS on order and this will probably be the first item I check on.

I'm very curious as to the response you will get from Jayco. The potential for significant injury and property damage makes this very concerning. Please keep us posted.
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

That is a serious issue... Here is a link to file a complaint with NHTSA as I think it definitely warrants a recall:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #7

Would that be on just the air ride seat models???
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpics View Post
One a 2016 and one a 2017.
I'm pretty sure other posts have stated the air ride seats are not part of the 2017 model year. Air ride seats are not mentioned on Jayco's web site.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

Seat type

So far of the three units I have looked at each one has a different style of seat. Our 2016 has what I believe are the factory Freightliner grey leather air ride seats. The 2016 37HJ new on the lot has a wider more luxurious style of seat. The 2017TS has power seats but are narrow like the Freightliner seat and are not air ride. All three have loose fuse blocks in various locations different from each other but still in the captain seat area. I hope to hear from Jayco before I take any action on my own, however the seriousness of this issue will not be overlooked by myself, and not just because of my out of pocket expense.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
SJD

Just checked my 2017 37FS and found that all is tied down. Jayco has it all done with zip ties. They tied the wiring down close to each box so that the boxes will not move. I did have a metal cased flashlight stored under the seat that I placed somewhere else to avoid an accident. I do appreciate the heads up to a possible issue.
SJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #11

I never was wild about the way Jayco covered up the electrical nightmare behind the drivers seat with a piece of wood and carpet. I built a simple wooden box to protect and contain everything behind the seat. It also increases the area behind the seat where one of our dogs sleeps when we're rolling down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Cab elec box.jpg   cab elec box open.jpg   cab elec 2.jpg   cab elec 1.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #12

Looks good... I may do something similar. Have you looked at the rear of the fuse blocks to check for exposed terminals?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #13

Airpics, I covered each of the fuse block backs with small bubble wrap to ensure contact is not made with any exposed connectors.

ed
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #14

Well I'm happy to report that Randy West with Jayco has taken ownership of this problem with the fuse boxes. I received a reimbursement check from Jayco covering the labor charges at Freightliner of Flagstaff and the labor charges incurred in Albuquerque at the Allison dealer due to an overfilled transmission. Gives me great comfort knowing the company now owned by Thor cares about their customers. Randy is also following up with the appropriate personnel to try and resolve this issue in future Seneca models. I am a happy customer, thanks Randy.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #15

Nice to hear. Things happen, people make mistakes. When a company takes responsibility, that deserves to be told. Good for them. Good for us.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpics View Post
Well I'm happy to report that Randy West with Jayco has taken ownership of this problem with the fuse boxes. I received a reimbursement check from Jayco covering the labor charges at Freightliner of Flagstaff and the labor charges incurred in Albuquerque at the Allison dealer due to an overfilled transmission. Gives me great comfort knowing the company now owned by Thor cares about their customers. Randy is also following up with the appropriate personnel to try and resolve this issue in future Seneca models. I am a happy customer, thanks Randy.
What led you to the Allison dealer? Was your transmission slipping? What year Seneca do you have?
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #17

I looked at my 2015 37rb and am wondering if this problem occurred on the newer models as there seems to be a wooden cover over mine from the coach floor and the boxes seem pretty tight. Has someone had to do this to their 2015 model and does the seat have to come out to do this repair if required ?
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #18

i looked at my '15 and it looks a bit like a mess of wires. i didn't want to pull them out to check it out and left it alone for now!!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #19

I think the NTSB needs to hear about this. I have a 2018 HJ with the fuse boxes floating.
Thanks for the heads up.
Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote