Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

Seneca getting new tires

We are still in AZ and was doing some pre-trip prep for some miles up north and noticed a bunch of sidewall weather checking on the tires. We are getting quotes for replacing our Michelin XZE2 tires all the way around.

Since we are not close to my buddy who does this for a living - he recommends that we stay with the same brand/model tire we have... he says they are one of the most reliable and comfortable tire in the heavy Motorhome service category. So far our best quote here in Kingman is $3,521 out the door with bead bag balancing.

Who else has replaced Seneca tires all the way around already?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We are still in AZ and was doing some pre-trip prep for some miles up north and noticed a bunch of sidewall weather checking on the tires. We are getting quotes for replacing our Michelin XZE2 tires all the way around.

Since we are not close to my buddy who does this for a living - he recommends that we stay with the same brand/model tire we have... he says they are one of the most reliable and comfortable tire in the heavy Motorhome service category. So far our best quote here in Kingman is $3,521 out the door with bead bag balancing.

Are you an FMCA member? If so, check the Michelin Advantage program. If not the discount might be worth joining.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:

Steve check your messages.

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

I, too, am ready to replace all six of my tires.
Date on tires: 4013
Date of chassis: 2014
Date of coach:2015
So these tires were 1 1/2-2 years old before the Seneca ever left Indiana!
Old 01-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #5

When I took mine in for an alignment check, the tech told me that the Michelins are about the most expensive on the market so I'm not surprised that they were recc. for replacement. Tech also said 8 years is fine on the Michelins as long as the tread is good and no other damage.

What is "bean bag" balancing?
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
CAG

I know that some tire manufacturers say 10, some say 6, most reputable companies in Arizona say 3-4 because of dry rot and sun damage.

If you can remember all of the hours the tires sat in the sun. All of the road hazards you hit, including pot holes. How many sharp turns you made putting stress on the tires and on and on, I would say 10 might work. But I am not betting my life or my families life on it. Just me.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

We are not FMCA members... and despise our Good Sam membership, not that the two could be compared at all.

Since we are a long way from home, and my buddy Ron that has his own tire business is back home too.. he has been coaching me on the process - instead of just taking care of it for what would be cost... it is part of being away from home!

Ron is one of the few that have driven our Seneca, and has given me more knowledge of our Freightliner chassis than I can get/ask/read anywhere else. In fact, he already has a buyer for our old tires at $100.00 per tire - because he knows exactly what we have. He says we should stay with the XZE2 all the way around - they have the best reputation in the tire business for being a sturdy multi-purpose tire that is good for steer or drive axles with exceptional ride that motorhomes need. He says they are not all that great in the excavation business where they see a lot of mud and gravel, but that is where our old tires will end up on the 40' side dump trailers once sold.

He also told me that most tire dealers will not risk mounting a tire they did not purchase wholesale themselves, as if the tire has an issue in the mounting/balancing - they have their wholesaler who will in some situations take that tire back. They also expect to make some margin on that tire and often the dismount/ mounting / balancing / remount cost they charge is less than what it really costs them in labor and materials.

It seems that the only tires available are in Phoenix, and they are at the Michelin Distribution Center... it takes almost a week to get them freight to Kingman. so next week we should be getting new shoes.... Bean bag balancing on all and a replacement warranty too. More updates to come -

Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #8

Curious to know the DOT date codes on your tires. I'd like to keep ours on as long as safely possible (rears mainly, steers not so much) so I want to know how long it took yours to weather check. And did your tires spend much time under cover?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #9

Here's some info from the Michelin website:

"There is no way to tell exactly how long a tire lasts. The lifespan and mileage of a tire depends of a combination of factors: its design, the driver’s habits, the climate, the road conditions and the care that's put into the tires."

"After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional."

"If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator. This applies to spare tires as well."
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #10

I replaced my original equipment Michelins with new Michelins. The best deal I could find was at the Love's in Kingman. They were the only ones who could balance the tires (without the balance beads) for miles around and that had tires with mid 2019 manufacture dates. The Loves in Havasu 50 miles closer to me had mid 2018 manufacture dates which was not acceptable.
david a judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
What is "bean bag" balancing?
They make a dynamic balancing bag that goes inside the tire - that dynamically balances the tire every time it starts to roll... It does nothing to benefit at slow speeds, but once the centrifugal force takes over - they equalize the imbalance of not just the tire, but the tire, wheel and the turning hub/ disk / drum and such. Most trucking companies are going to these as the weights are inside the tire, not attached to the rim where they get knocked off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Curious to know the DOT date codes on your tires. I'd like to keep ours on as long as safely possible (rears mainly, steers not so much) so I want to know how long it took yours to weather check. And did your tires spend much time under cover?
34th week of 2014 and 35th week of 2014 will post a few pics.

I am just as concerned with the drive tires letting go - when that happens, the tire will destroy the fender, the floor of the Seneca above the tire and the baggage compartments in front and rear of the tire. Not taking the chance of having our second home in the shop for 9-months getting all that stuff repaired -because we tried to get another mile out of these "obviously in need of replacement" tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david a judd View Post
I replaced my original equipment Michelins with new Michelins. The best deal I could find was at the Love's in Kingman. They were the only ones who could balance the tires (without the balance beads) for miles around and that had tires with mid 2019 manufacture dates. The Loves in Havasu 50 miles closer to me had mid 2018 manufacture dates which was not acceptable.
The tire dealer we are working with is getting these directly from the Michelin factory warehouse in Phoenix. We have to wait a few days for them to be shipped - but they are guaranteed to be at least one year or less (2019 mfg date) by the dealer.

I've posted some pics of the sidewalls... and the cracking
Attached Thumbnails
20200129_143949.jpg   20200129_144017.jpg   20200129_144026.jpg   20200129_144057.jpg   20200129_144103.jpg  

Old 01-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #12

Steve..did your dealer give you any explanation for the cracks other than the standard answer that all Michelin tires do this. Mine are mid 2015 mfg and are doing the same thing
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Steve..did your dealer give you any explanation for the cracks other than the standard answer that all Michelin tires do this. Mine are mid 2015 mfg and are doing the same thing
The Tire dealer we are buying replacements from? no.

My buddy Ron who is back home (Service manager for a large excavation company) - I sent pictures of them (like the ones posted here) and his first response was the we are on borrowed time. His explanation was like - he has seen tires with this pattern of cracking go another year on a trailer, or another week. He says it is a sign that the tire is deteriorating, and the only place that he would mount them, in the condition they are in now is on a semi-truck trailer, where the blowout would cause the least damage.

He suggested that they would most likely let-go with little warning.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
The Tire dealer we are buying replacements from? no.

My buddy Ron who is back home (Service manager for a large excavation company) - I sent pictures of them (like the ones posted here) and his first response was the we are on borrowed time. His explanation was like - he has seen tires with this pattern of cracking go another year on a trailer, or another week. He says it is a sign that the tire is deteriorating, and the only place that he would mount them, in the condition they are in now is on a semi-truck trailer, where the blowout would cause the least damage.

He suggested that they would most likely let-go with little warning.
Hi SloPoke. I was listening to. An RV Navigator podcast and they mentioned National Tire Concierge as a source for good tire discounts and they have a really good roadside guarantee too and I think to join is $90.00.
They said was better discount Even than FMCA
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #15

Use Aerospace 303 protectant on your new tires. Pricey but worth every penny.

The sun and ozone play heck with tire deterioration.

Don't use Armorall or anything with silicone in it.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Use Aerospace 303 protectant on your new tires. Pricey but worth every penny.

The sun and ozone play heck with tire deterioration.

Don't use Armorall or anything with silicone in it.
At one time 303 was the only thing Michelin recommended for use on their tires. Not sure if that is still the case.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
At one time 303 was the only thing Michelin recommended for use on their tires. Not sure if that is still the case.
Not sure either. It can only help protect the tires. I don't think the formula has changed.

Used it on my class A 22.5" tires. Got almost 10 years out of them.

Highly recommend using tire covers along with the 303.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #18

Don't buy Michelin tires

After a year of research. I've come to the conclusion that Michelin tires exhibit premature sidewalk cracking in an rv application.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #19
Site Team

Are other brands of tires, Continental, Bridgestone, etc. cracking in the same way in that environment? Or, is this something more prevalent with the Michelin products?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #20

Proper care goes along way in determining how long tires last.

As I stated above, used 303 and always covered my tires. Keeping tire pressure correct also.

Almost 10 years on the Michelin tires on my class A. I did have tires that showed some cracking down the contact area of the tire.

The installer said there was no sign of any interior damage along the carcass, all outside visual signs.

Tags
22.5, michelin, seneca, slopoke, tire