Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Seneca Height Issues

Anyone hear of problems with the Seneca not being able to clear overpass bridges on state or interstate highways?

We are considering buying a new 2020 and my wife is worried about the height.

Barry
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #2

How do we address this in a fair and reasonable way. You will be able to drive coast to coast without worry of hitting bridges. You’re wife is correct there are low clearance bridges on some state roads but with a little research will allow you to avoid those hazards. The easy way to avoid hazards is to plan drives using truck routes. There are computer programs and apps that take height into account as you plan a route. 99 percent of the time you can work around the obstacles the other one percent is you are forced to take a detour that presents a new challenge. Certainly not a reason to not purchase a Seneca.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

X2 on what Old Skipper had to say, but also remind your wife that there are a lot of 5th wheel travel trailers out there that are just as high as our Seneca’s

Bruce
Old 10-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Tonight is our last night on the road after 8,000 miles and 3 months in our Seneca this summer. We did not encounter one bridge that was too low.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

I have a Garmin GPS that asked me the height and width of my RV. It will keep me on truck routes that avoid low bridges and it’s a better navigation tool than the GPS the factory installs in any RV.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

bridge clearance is going to be the last thing to worry about ,our 5th was 6" taller than our Seneca, we have been at this rving thing 25 years. many challenges to be encountered. still having fun
tallcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

Like MarkS we put 8000+ miles on our Seneca this summer. We traveled mostly 2 lane back highways From Washington to Arizona to Montana to Minnesota to Iowa to Oregon and back to Arizona. We use a Garmin GPS and RV trip wizard to set our trips and avoid things like low bridges and roads that will not support the 29000 pound Seneca.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

Over 70,000 miles on a 2016 Seneca and haven't hit a bridge, yet. One back road detour near Strasburg, Pa. made us approach dead slow, but even then lots of room.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #9

Our Greyhawk clearance is 11’-6”. Even with that relatively low number we’ve encountered at least three bridges that we’d not fit beneath. Heck, we even saw a side road bridge at 7’-6” in the mountains of eastern Tennessee.

I used mailbox numbers to stick “11-6” on the top inside of our windshield so the driver can immediately compare our clearance with what’s on a bridge sign. No need to ponder.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #10

Don't let it bother you a bit... We HAVE encountered a few low bridges that we had to detour around. No they were not identified on our GPS as low, but they were properly marked on the interstate because of construction.

Then.. one bridge in Evanston WY that is 13' 0" that was not very well marked at all - until we were upon it! Things happen, you just have to be aware of what is around you, and sometimes need to back up!
Attached Thumbnails
Capture20191007.JPG  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Don't let it bother you a bit... We HAVE encountered a few low bridges that we had to detour around. No they were not identified on our GPS as low, but they were properly marked on the interstate because of construction.

Then.. one bridge in Evanston WY that is 13' 0" that was not very well marked at all - until we were upon it! Things happen, you just have to be aware of what is around you, and sometimes need to back up!

Oof! Guessing you had to backup? Thank goodness you pull an actual trailer!

To the OP, keep your eyes out for bridge height signs, consider a truck-route capable GPS and perhaps the Motor Carrier’s Atlas. The latter may be overkill but it’s a great reference for lots of highway details that help with the overall “big picture” when route planning.

Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #12

Seneca Height Issues

I appreciate all the feedback. Everyone has been very helpful. May be pulling the trigger this weekend.

Barry
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #13

IMHO an equal or greater risk with backcountry travel other than overpass height is bridge weight limits. I've run into that where the GPS warned of a weight restriction but when I came up on the bridge there was no weight limit posted. I crossed it after observing a loaded dump truck cross it before me.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #14

The statement -"Oof! Guessing you had to backup? Thank goodness you pull an actual trailer!", is interesting.

Plan B always needs to be in the back of your mind and maybe C and D, also.

Had to back a travel trailer over a mile one time. Didn't believe the sign, because I knew the road. That is, I knew it before the 1993 Mississippi River Flood and they changed things. ;-)

If you pull a toad, four on the ground, the day will come that you have to disconnect to get out of the situation you are in. Accept it, things happen. An inconvienience? Yes!
But isn't lost time in a repair or body shop also a game changer. When things happen, its part of the adventure. Later, around the campfire, its a "Sea Story". There is always going to be something. Low bridges, traffic accidents, drivers that are jerks, closed campgrounds. All of this is just as much a part of the adventure as is the great sunset, flight of a heron, or good friends that you just met.

What a blessing to be able to have such problems.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
IMHO an equal or greater risk with backcountry travel other than overpass height is bridge weight limits. I've run into that where the GPS warned of a weight restriction but when I came up on the bridge there was no weight limit posted. I crossed it after observing a loaded dump truck cross it before me.
We have a bridge about 2 miles from the house that has a 10 ton limit. The trucker GPS units try routing trucks up that road as a way to get from I95 to I295 after stopping at the Pilot service center. The road is also narrow with numerous sharp or hairpin curves (we locals call it "Snake Road"). The state has posted big "GPS Incorrect" signs with flashing warning lights at both ends but the truckers ignore the signs until they get in trouble.

Beware and be observant.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
The statement -"Oof! Guessing you had to backup? Thank goodness you pull an actual trailer!", is interesting.

Had to back a travel trailer over a mile one time. Didn't believe the sign, because I knew the road. That is, I knew it before the 1993 Mississippi River Flood and they changed things. ;-)

If you pull a toad, four on the ground, the day will come that you have to disconnect to get out of the situation you are in. Accept it, things happen. An inconvienience? Yes!
But isn't lost time in a repair or body shop also a game changer. When things happen, its part of the adventure. Later, around the campfire, its a "Sea Story". There is always going to be something. Low bridges, traffic accidents, drivers that are jerks, closed campgrounds. All of this is just as much a part of the adventure as is the great sunset, flight of a heron, or good friends that you just met.

Well Said!!!

Another "Sea Story" to share
We have been known for having to back up into an intersection a few times... Each experience is always a different situation. One was when we were pulling into a Walmart, and we found that they had a low overhang after we pulled into the entrance. I had to back out of that situation too - with the trailer and all.

For those who have only one driver in your rig (Stacy does not drive anymore) You have to consider that if you need to separate your toad in a hurry, that will make the situation even more exciting (doing it yourself - while still blocking a travel lane) as well as it does with a trailer since I dont have someone to get out and guide be backing up and clearing traffic.

I wished that Walmart would put up signs in advance of the obstacle... they did not at the store in Amarillo Texas!
Attached Thumbnails
Capture20191009.JPG  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post

Totally agree! This was more knowing Steve can back but me with a four-down set cannot. To your point it’s made me uber aware of where I’m heading but prepared to jump out and disconnect if I have to. It’s also what contributed to my decision for the semi-permanent supplemental brake system for my Cherokee. I think I have it down to about 5 minutes to drive it off.
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfriedman View Post
Anyone hear of problems with the Seneca not being able to clear overpass bridges on state or interstate highways?

Barry
Your 2020 Seneca has a published height of 157". Maximum vehicle height on any public roadway, interstate or otherwise, without special permits, is 162".

If any obstruction is lower that 162", authorities must post warning signs, warning lights, etc. (this will be in Ft. and In. 162" is 13ft. 6in.)

Any obstruction you approach will warn you as you approach if it is lower than 13' 6". Your Seneca is 13' 1".

It will be slightly unnerving, the first few times you drive it, but as others have stated, you should be perfectly fine. Unless, you add antennas, or anything else to the top that may add to the height of the stock vehicle as delivered.

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid.
Av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfriedman View Post

Barry
We’ve had a 2005 Jayco Seneca for the three years and have never had a problem with overpasses. We have traveled through about 25 states at this point. My Seneca GS 35 is 11 feet 9 inches exterior height with the optional air conditioner. Hope this helps.

Happy Jayco Owner
gregowens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #20

60K miles (and $21K in fuel) on a 2016 37HJ. One low RR crossing bridge near Lake Summerville TX that I chose to avoid. No issues other than that (well other than an ill placed tree in Pancake Bay Provincial Park I choose not to discuss other than to say the new generator door looks great!). It was also an excellent rig to take all the way up to Prudhoe Bay Alaska (although I do still need to replace the windshield on the Seneca, but I did get the Jeep windshield replaced). Hats off to the guy with 70K on a 2016 Seneca, I thought I was the only crazy one .

Buy the rig, and after your 1-2 years of shake down issues, you will love it! I am actually serious about that. 2 years of pain, but now the rig is serving us well....except for the worn out step tread and ripped slide awning (thank you Gulf of Mexico!) I need to replace. Go buy the rig, load the tools, fill the check book, and let the adventure begin!
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote