Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Seneca issue

I have a 2017 37 rb that was built in May of 2016, I'm guessing one of the first 2017 made. My camper sat at a dealer until I bought it in November of 2017, so I've had it about 6 months.

A couple of weeks ago we noticed a mark on the floor that was in line with the self tapping screws that hold down the dinette. Placing tape over this area to prevent futher damage didn't help, in fact the second time i closed the slide I used foil tape. Sure enough right down the middle of the tape something was poking out and ripping it. Next I took out one of the self tapping screws and found out it was 1 1/4 inches long. Calling customer service this morning I was told the floor is 1 1/2 inches thick so I should be all right. Not accepting that answer I took out one of the big bolts under the dinette. It's two inches long and was sticking through the floor over an inch. That tells me our floor in the slide out is 3/4 inches thick. Removing all the self tapping screws I discovered they were all to long, why none of the others didn't cause damage I don't know. Will try the tape again tomorrow when we move north. Hopping to get lucky!

Rick in Houston, is this why Jayco replaced the floor in your rb?
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about this issue. Hopefully the floor is not damaged and will not need to be replaced. Somebody reached into the wrong screw bin and started to work without thinking. Since they use power drivers this one screw probably found a soft spot and was set a lot deeper than the others.

I had my sliding door replaced as they screwed into it when they mounted the overhead lighting cabinet in the bathroom. I found it the first time I slid the door open and heard a big scratching sound.

“We do it right because we do it twice” is not a good motto.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote