Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 PM   #1

Seneca Level Jack Issue

I have been on about an 18 day trip and am on the tail end of it when we were driving down I40 from Missouri to Texas and all of a sudden our leveling jack panel starts to alarm with low voltage and multiple other lights. I go outside and check the jacks and they are up...been traveling a few hundred miles at this point...so I try to reset the coach power, ignition, no luck. I call equalizer jacks and they tech says the low voltage indicates the pump lost power. So at the next stop I’ll check the terminals on the bottom of the pump and what do I find?? The pump, reservoir, and solenoids hanging and bumping on the drive shaft. Now I have fluid all over the rear half of my undercarriage, back of the Moho, and on my Silverado. Awesome!! Call jayco roadside for tech support and they think I should be able to drive it now that I tied the pump up.

Question for you all is will the jacks stay retracted or will they settle over time? I have 1200 miles left in 2 days. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
656A8807-3F80-4A64-92BE-A1B5A0261F7B.jpg   799639E6-1C59-42C9-9A65-EC733563D995.jpg   BACA3522-13CF-4E30-B829-C126581EBA02.jpg   30615CAD-5632-400C-B9BB-53CEBC5E4F37.jpg  
brtnsnwbrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

Unless a line is cut or fitting is leaking, the jacks should stay up. What year of Seneca is this on? Seems like this is the second one I have heard of doing this and will be checking the welds on the mounts on mine!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #3

Jacks broke

This is a 2016 that I purchased new from a dealer about 10 months ago. There is one cut line but I believe it to be the return line from the solenoids to the tank. It definitely has a hole.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #4

The Greyhawks had a similar problem in that year model...Jayco has fixed now and offered a recall to those affected if I remember correctly.

New Greyhawks have a beefed up mounting. On the ones in that year model that failed the weld broke.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

There should be two lines per jack. One pushes it down and one pulls it up. Check to see what line has a hole. If it is the line that connects to the lower part of the jack then you might have a problem, as that is the one that pulls the jack up and holds it there.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #6

This post got me wondering about mine so I got my creeper out and crawled under to take a look. The unit was secure but the Allan head fill plug worked loose a bit and I found transmission fluid sprayed on the resovoir and pump. I tightened the Allan plug as well as the nut holding the ground to the pump. Glad I went to take a look.

The fluid in the tank is about 1/2-3/4 inch below the fill line when retracted. I am guessing that’s ok, right?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

You mentioned the leaking fluid sprayed everything behind the pump assembly, I see in one of the pictures your rear brake chamber is covered with oil. It makes me wonder if there is any chance it may have made its way into the brake drum on that side. You might want to look carefully to see if you think any might have made its way onto the brakes.

My Seneca was upfitted with its Quadra Bigfoot levelers at MorRyde before the coach was mounted by Jayco. I wonder if Jayco started doing it all in-house later?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Gonna make it home OKAY

So I called equalizer this morning before hitting the road...tried to have the wife type this earlier but the kids had her pretty well distracted.

Anyways equalizer asked more about the cut hose. Apparently the solid black hoses would be okay to have a cut. The striped hoses wouldn’t. They control the up mechanism. The advised jayco coachnet was wrong on them possibly drifting and I should absolutely ratchet strap them before continuing on my trip. I have done that and we are now safely in Arizona for the night. Just thankful they didn’t drift down on me.

As for the rear brakes. They were set when the fluid sprayed everywhere. I think the rear shoes are okay? I’ve driven probably 800 miles since. What do you think?

Needless to say it’s one of the many issues jayco needs to fix on my motorhome. The list is getting longer and my local dealer Richardson’s in Riverside has been zero help. It went to them for 4 months previously and had a punch list of bear 30 items...2 got resolved.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #9

The brakes are likely OK. Having driven it that far you likely would have noticed something by now otherwise; chattering, smoke, etc.

As far as your dealer, seems you either get a good one or you don't. Not many in the "middle" it seems. If you weren't so far west I would recommend the Jayco Service Center in Middlebury. They do great work there, but it likely is not practical for your situation.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #10

So they have authorized me to use a non-jayco dealer, but I’m still hesitant. Especially with the latest jack issue I’d almost prefer they send a driver to bring it back to the Indiana facility. Not sure how it will all play out?
Old 07-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #11

Jacks are a common device on almost all motorhomes. I would not be hesitant to take it to a non-Jayco dealer.

I have an email from Jayco that they will allow me to use a non-Jayco dealer for warranty work if CW really starts to mess up...which right now they are...they have it now for one last chance of redeeming themselves.

In all reality, if you find a nice mom and pop shop, you will prob get better quality work than if you took it back to a large dealer or Indiana. The large shops, just want rigs in and out and do it as fast as they can. The small shops, want repeat business so they do better work to make sure people come back.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

Hi
Interested in finding the hydraulics tank resvoir
37ts with several other problems
thanx, Walter in Yukon Territory
wmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Jacks are a common device on almost all motorhomes. I would not be hesitant to take it to a non-Jayco dealer.

I have an email from Jayco that they will allow me to use a non-Jayco dealer for warranty work if CW really starts to mess up...which right now they are...they have it now for one last chance of redeeming themselves.

In all reality, if you find a nice mom and pop shop, you will prob get better quality work than if you took it back to a large dealer or Indiana. The large shops, just want rigs in and out and do it as fast as they can. The small shops, want repeat business so they do better work to make sure people come back.
X2 Just find a dealer that works on Equalizer brand Jacks, you should be able to find one close by. And as stated above, Beware of any CW for warranty work, even if you have their extended warranty.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #14

Yeah the jacks aren’t why I’d say I’m hesitant to address it just the amount of issues piling up. I have a dealer local that’s non jayco that I like I just worry about jayco paying.

Tags
broken, equalizer, jacks, poor workmanship, seneca