Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #1

Seneca M2 power uprate

I had my Cummins engine uprated recently. This was something that I found out about on this forum. 340 hp to 360 and torque from 700 to 800 ft. Took the unit into Cummins and it took them about an hour to plug into the unit and install new calibration. Total cost was $500. $365.5 for the uprate, $105.26 for labor and $14.62 for taxes.

So far so good. When driving on the highway I could apply the throttle and the unit had a noticeable acceleration. I actually thought the unit had down shifted but it was running at 1900 rpm. Before it would slowly start to pick up speed. I did not notice the unit slowing as much in the hills. Real test will be driving with the car on the dolly, I have a couple steep hill climbs around home that I could only climb at 45mph. I will time the runs up these to confirm it was worth it.

To those of you who posted on this uprate. Thanks for the information.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #2

This is going to sound silly, but here are my questions; $500 sounds reasonable. Is this something you have to find a Cummins shop for or Freightliner that services Cummins?

Also, does this void warranty (probably not an issue since we are both two years out)?

Thank you for the information. If I can get mine to stop leaning I’ll do this next.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

Cummins will tack on a charge for units still in the 5-year engine warranty period and still cover you as they would have before. I only had less than a year left on mine and I was familiar to them from my (former) fire department position so they waived my warranty upcharge.

If the Freightliner facility is a Cummins distributor they might be able to do the upgrade. I went right to my regional Cummins facility to get my 2014 done.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Real test will be driving with the car on the dolly, I have a couple steep hill climbs around home that I could only climb at 45mph. I will time the runs up these to confirm it was worth it.
Vermont Route 7?
Old 06-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #5

Is the allison 2500 ok with this?
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
Is the allison 2500 ok with this?
I initially had hesitation concerning the 2500. So before I had Cummins uprate my engine I talked to them (Cummins) about the transmission. They did not feel it would be a problem at all. They said that the momentary power cutback while shifting still takes place to protect the transmission during full throttle shifts. Full engine torque is available at the same time as before, just more of it!

I also mentioned it to my Allison service facility when I had my transmission reprogrammed a few weeks after my engine uprate. They also felt it was a non-issue and that the 2500 was robust enough to not be any issue. Especially in RV service instead of stop and go heavy haul service.

But I will monitor the transmission fluid carefully, I am looking into annual oil analysis to stay on top of any problems.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #7

The allison tech I spoke with said the same thing. They felt there would not be any issues with the higher input. While the power is at the top of the rated input range the reality is that a significant amount of hp and torque is lost just driving the ac, compressor, alternator and cooling fans which brings the actual amount applied to the transmission down..

Route 7 and 11/30 between Manchester and bromley mountain. This section is between 6-8% grade and really slowed the unit down.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #8

Don’t forget about that long hill on I77 when you are coming out of NC into VA. That one gets me! I will be back in Charlotte in August and plan to make an appointment with Cimmins then. Did they charge you a fee for the warranty aspect?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #9

No just the $500. I simply told them what i was looking for and she typed it in the computer and told me the price. At first she said it could be a few thousand dollars which I choked on. She then looked it up and said 500.
Apparently the more hp you are adding the more they charge.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #10

Fuel efficiency

When you have a few miles on this uprate, please let us know what happens to the fuel mileage. Strongly considering this.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
Sam

Rob, I have attempted to locate your previous post about your performance upgrades and I can't find it. I believe the post included a copy of your invoice, if possible would you again post this information. I have an appointment Aug. 20 to hopefully have these upgrades done.

Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #12

I haven't done any up grades to my running gear, sorry. Al
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #13

Here is my write up. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_170332.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	52518
Old 08-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Rob, I have attempted to locate your previous post about your performance upgrades and I can't find it. I believe the post included a copy of your invoice, if possible would you again post this information. I have an appointment Aug. 20 to hopefully have these upgrades done.

Thanks, Sam
No problem, here you go!
The first document is for the power upgrade, my Cummins dealer did not tack on a "warranty upcharge" even though I do have a few months left on my original 5-year warranty. If yours does, expect an additional $400 or so.

Second item was the transmission reprogram and together with the power upgrade really make it more pleasant to drive, especially in the hills. My transmission originally was programmed with the ultra economy shift schedule versus the new performance schedule.
Attached Thumbnails
20190624_145631.jpg   20190529_161102.jpg  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #15
Sam

Thanks Rob and RVermont for the quick reply. I am really excited about the up grades. My five years was up July 21, 2014 so I am go to go.

Thanks again, Sam
Old 08-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #16

I am happy with my transmission reprogram, my OD lockout switch and now you have me interested in the engine reprogram.

Where are you felling the change, low or high RPM? Better climbing?

Any noticeable difference in the MPG?

Just when I think I’m done, you guys come up with something else I NEED
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #17

Mileage is hard to judge as we roll with the generator running most of the time. The main thing I notice is that there is acceleration where before there wasn't such as passing, before the unit would slowly gain speed now you can step on the throttle and feel the unit accelerate.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Mileage is hard to judge as we roll with the generator running most of the time. The main thing I notice is that there is acceleration where before there wasn't such as passing, before the unit would slowly gain speed now you can step on the throttle and feel the unit accelerate.
Especially with the transmission reprogram, like RVermont stated it does now accelerate where before it would just "lug". Prior to the transmission change it seemed like my unit would mostly just go from 4th to 6th and vice versa. 5th gear didn't last long up or downshifting. Much better now however!

I still lock out OD on the hilly 45 to 50 mph secondary roads to keep it from shifting excessively. That also provides more engine braking to keep the downhill speeds from attracting the attention of the local law enforcement!
Old 08-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
That also provides more engine braking to keep the downhill speeds from attracting the attention of the local law enforcement!
Funny you should mention local law enforcement. Just this morning I had the pleasure of meeting a Colfax County deputy while driving my Jeep. Apparently the stop sign leaving Angel Fire Resort really is a stop sign and not a slow down and make sure it’s clear sign. The deputy was great and pleasantly reminded me of the importance of stopping even when no one is in sight, except him

The engine reprogram sounds good and I will look into it when we get home in October.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #20
Sam

Had the engine reprogramming completed last Tuesday at FL/Cummins. Drove home over hill land dale from Farmington, NM to CO. Very pleased, much more than just noticeable power increase. Then took the Seneca into Bruckners truck sales, big multi state company and Allison certified for trans reprogramming. Tech sent all the info to Allison including the serial number and explained that I wanted the performance programming mode. Allison came back and said calibration is at its highest level. I have owned the MH for over four years, it had been preowned for six months and had 2,000 miles n the OD. The only thing I can guess is that the previous owner had the trans reprogrammed. What are you thoughts?

Thanks, Sam