Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Seneca Major Issue

I know I have been a little absent from the forum and I have missed out on many good discussions. However, one reoccurring discussion has been about problems with the units. I had really thought I was the lucky one. I had some issues with cabinets that I repaired (better than original) on my own, and upgraded the transmission program, front sway bar, and Truma. But I really thought I was doing ok. So on my more recent trip in June, the inverter wasn’t working, and the nav was on the fritz and then, finally, the 50 am cable winder died (internal gears I think and I am careful). Then there is the rear A/C which blows no cold air, but still things you can live with.

But, it was not until I was hand waxing my unit and I noticed a velcro like sound as I waxed the sidewall near the awning bolts. I finally decided, after reviewing others notes about factory service, that I had best get an appointment. I called and explained all the problems and eventually got to the point of the sidewall. That seamed to get me to another person very quickly. Apparently this sound implies a possible/likely delamination. “We will need to replace the sideway and will need to keep the unit for 5 weeks; can you bring it in April 1.” I cannot express the joy that this truck is still under warranty!

I am exceptionally concerned about this issue as I am constantly on the roof looking at the caulking, but this was out of my hands. Anyone have a tent I can live in for 5 weeks starting in April?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

Wow that sounds like a major issue. I thought I had it bad with a couple nail pops and new floor. Can you explain a little more about the sound? I have waxed that area but did not notice anything. I will wash it again next week to be sure there is no issue.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

Delamination would not make the FILON/FIBERGLASS rough on the outside. There has to be something ekse going on.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #4

Hey Ryan, we have missed you here. I’m sorry it is taking something like this to bring you back. Please keep us posted on what’s going on.

Holy cow, did you say April, as in 7 months from now?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Delamination would not make the FILON/FIBERGLASS rough on the outside. There has to be something ekse going on.
I think the OP was talking about the sound (like velcro) and that would be consistent with delamination.
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #6

Interesting story, please keep us informed.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Delam sometimes sounds like glue sticking and then releasing kind of like gum on a shoe soul ugh
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
Delam sometimes sounds like glue sticking and then releasing kind of like gum on a shoe soul ugh
Grumpy, the outside is perfectly smooth and you can’t see any problem, but it sounds exactly like what che57vy says.

Now for the crazy thing, I just heard it again last weekend as I waxed the other side where the Seneca logo is. I know I am on that roof constantly and take preemptive measures.

I understand how water can follow back into the wall on that awning screw (capillary action) but do not understand why it could occur in a random area on the drivers side.

I’ve misssed you all too Mark, I won’t be a stranger, and I will let you all know how this issue plays out too.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #9

It could be a product defect something went wrong during application of glue etc. ever see a video of how these sides are made ? It is interesting how some glue foam and fiberglass can stay stuck together for all the abuse it goes thru.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about your issues but Jayco will make it right. Just a word of caution. I realize April 1st seems a long way out but make sure you get confirmation of your appointment date in writing, preferably in an email. I had a verbal appointment from Jayco Motorized CS this past April (from phone conversations last October) and as it got closer and I called about arrangements they told me there was no record of my scheduled appointment. It took a lot of wrangling to fit my rig into their schedule but fortunately I kept good notes. So if you haven’t done so already call back and have them confirm it in an email. The last thing you want now is to have it extended beyond April. Good luck to you.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues but Jayco will make it right. Just a word of caution. I realize April 1st seems a long way out but make sure you get confirmation of your appointment date in writing, preferably in an email. I had a verbal appointment from Jayco Motorized CS this past April (from phone conversations last October) and as it got closer and I called about arrangements they told me there was no record of my scheduled appointment. It took a lot of wrangling to fit my rig into their schedule but fortunately I kept good notes. So if you haven’t done so already call back and have them confirm it in an email. The last thing you want now is to have it extended beyond April. Good luck to you.
That’s good advice and I will take it!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #12

Confirmation

X2 my story is almost identical to Rice1951 - get everything in writing by email and document everything `especially if any of your conversations are with someone named Mark - Mark is a very poor excuse for customer service Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

X2 on in writing two years of emails save my tail on are long lists of uncompleted warranty!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #14

Emails found and secured.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #15

Two years eleven months of warranty between Jayco and suppliers had a folder an inch thick. Look back depressing!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:41 AM   #16

Sorry to hear of your woes and best wishes for a quick next spring. I presume you'll also be getting a full body respray? If you were near me, I would refer you to the perfect shop for this sort of major body work (and I think Jayco would approve of it and pay). Keep smiling!
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #17

Repaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Sorry to hear of your woes and best wishes for a quick next spring. I presume you'll also be getting a full body respray? If you were near me, I would refer you to the perfect shop for this sort of major body work (and I think Jayco would approve of it and pay). Keep smiling!
That truck already has major issues with the paint, dripping clear coat, missing clear coat, they are aware of all these issues as well and they are on the list! I would love to come to a third party repainter as then I would think I might get quality work done! When I hand wax this truck I am constantly shaking my head and thinking about how much we pay for these. We really enjoy it but would be shaking if this happened out of warranty.