Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

Seneca microwave/water heater

HI All. My wife and I recently purchased a 2015 Seneca and have two issues. The tankless water heater has failed us twice. The first issue was simply the igniter falling out of its bracket. For the second we are going to the dealer this week for a fix. Could it be the pressure? I use a 45 PSI limiter and have added a second water filter. Maybe not getting required water pressure.

Also, The microwave has an irritating rattle. It seems to be from inside the unit rather than being loose in the way it was hung. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Foster15
Foster15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

remove the pressure regulator and try it.

maybe the turntable is not sitting properly....it is the only thing moving to make noise
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

What is going on with your water heater? There has been a lot of discussion around these forums reference the Girard water heater and several "fixes" for them.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

RULazy2: I agree. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. My first problem was probably an aberration; the igniter dropped out of its bracket. This time we camped for five nights; the first three nights the tankless heater worked. Then it stopped heating. We did not move the RV but I did switch between city water and normal "tank" water using the 12v pump. Not sure if that was an issue or not.

I will be back to the dealer this week.

Foster15
Old 10-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

did you remove the regulator and try it like i said above?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

I have not had a chance to try your suggestion. I know when I had trouble the heater did not work on city water or on the 12v pump; two different pressures.

I will know more mid week.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

Weird issue. My FIL reported some trouble with his water heater as well. It worked well enough after he reset the heater itself. I will have to get with him and see what his dealer did to fix it.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
My Bride and I just purchased a 2014 Seneca and are having an issue with the tankless water heater as well. Returning the dealer on the 17th is see whats up. Had our Grands with us for our first trip with this RV and no hot water did not help matters any.
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #9

If you had hot water 3 days and then nothing, the WH may have shut down due to it reaching the "too hot" level. There have been others that have had a similar issue and they pushed the reset button located in the WH box. If you have the dial in the bath be sure the setting is not on the highest setting. We have ours set in the 1 o'clock position now. During the warmer months we had it set just above the "low flame" mark. In other posts on this same subject posters have noted they called Girard 866-559-1221. Very positive customer service and walked poster through finding the reset button and all was good.
Best to you. The system does work very well..........just a matter of getting acquainted with the difference.
You didn't say if the microwave rattle was while you are in transit. Plate and roller ring will definitely do some moving around like nbhybrid noted.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #10

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV and took it out last weekend for the first time. Water heater worked great the first day, then quit. Called the dealer, they had no idea and suggested we bring it in. Decided to call Girard and ask. The tech guy was very helpful. He had me check the reset button in the WH box that Darrell mentioned in the earlier post and that fixed the problem once we reset it. He also told us to adjust our water temp with the dial and not so much with cold water. Quick and easy fix and it saved a trip back to the dealer.
Hope this helps.
RBDSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

Just back from dealer re water heater issue. I was told a wire had come loose. Fixed now.

Still having issues with a very loud rattle/clatter from microwave. Any thoughts.

Foster15
Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster15 View Post
Just back from dealer re water heater issue. I was told a wire had come loose. Fixed now.

Still having issues with a very loud rattle/clatter from microwave. Any thoughts.

Foster15
the dealer didn't look at it?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBDSM3 View Post
My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV and took it out last weekend for the first time. Water heater worked great the first day, then quit. Called the dealer, they had no idea and suggested we bring it in. Decided to call Girard and ask. The tech guy was very helpful. He had me check the reset button in the WH box that Darrell mentioned in the earlier post and that fixed the problem once we reset it. He also told us to adjust our water temp with the dial and not so much with cold water. Quick and easy fix and it saved a trip back to the dealer.
Hope this helps.
RBDSM3. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR new Greyhawk.
Thanks for the follow up so others can find the easy fixes and avoid the frustrations.
Very good point on adjusting the dial. Think about it. The water coming through the WH is not affected by any "cold" water you add with the faucet, so the WH keeps heating until it is maxed.
Enjoy your rig
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster15 View Post

Foster15
Foster, do you by chance know where that wire is located. Could be something the rest of us could do a preventive check so as not to have the problem occur.
Microwave............hmmmmmm. Noise while moving? Give us something more as to when the rattle/clatter occur
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #15

Gett'n ready to pick up my GH 29 MV. Thank goodness for the forums. Load of info. Had some concerns about the tankless WH. Glad you guys posted the answers (Darrell), as well as others. Copied the ph # of the Rep and am Ready to P/U MH on Thursday !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
If you had hot water 3 days and then nothing, the WH may have shut down due to it reaching the "too hot" level. There have been others that have had a similar issue and they pushed the reset button located in the WH box. If you have the dial in the bath be sure the setting is not on the highest setting. We have ours set in the 1 o'clock position now. During the warmer months we had it set just above the "low flame" mark. In other posts on this same subject posters have noted they called Girard 866-559-1221. Very positive customer service and walked poster through finding the reset button and all was good.
Best to you. The system does work very well..........just a matter of getting acquainted with the difference.
You didn't say if the microwave rattle was while you are in transit. Plate and roller ring will definitely do some moving around like nbhybrid noted.
Darrell
Took our first long trip, eight days and 1300 miles, last week. While showering with some really cold water at a Tennessee mountain state park, the Girard WH cut off. It made for a very invigorating, and quick, shower.

Called Girard and their tech told me where to find the mystery reset button which fixed the problem. Thought I'd add a picture showing its location.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #17

Hi All. Re my Seneca TS and microwave noise. I have, I believe, narrowed the noise down to the friction between the microwave and the metal wall bracket that is behind the micro and carries the weight of the micro. I have used a support from behind the cooktop up to the bottom rear of the micro to take some load off the back bracket. That took away 90% or more of the noise.

Before it was unbearable; now tolerable. Please let me know of others have problem and a more presentable fix.

Foster15
Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Took our first long trip, eight days and 1300 miles, last week. While showering with some really cold water at a Tennessee mountain state park, the Girard WH cut off. It made for a very invigorating, and quick, shower.

Called Girard and their tech told me where to find the mystery reset button which fixed the problem. Thought I'd add a picture showing its location.
__-------------------------------
Have any of you guys had problems with tankless WH going HOT/COLD HOT/COLD while showering? How did you fix the problem?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
__-------------------------------
Have any of you guys had problems with tankless WH going HOT/COLD HOT/COLD while showering? How did you fix the problem?
That is a problem I have noticed, too. I adjusted the WH control knob on the bathroom wall to be a lower temperature and was able to increase my water flow with the shower knob. That seemed to even it out a little bit. I still have not mastered the tankless WH though.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #20

I don't know that I can say I have mastered the tankless WH but I have to say, we have had nothing but success....knock on wood. I will give you the steps we have followed.
I never bleed the water system even when we are travelling or when it is in storage for a week or 2. After all we use water from the fresh water tank in transit.
I never shut the WH switch off until I am through for the season and prepping to winterize.
I set the dial just above the "coldest" setting on the dial in the bathroom when we were having daytime temps in the 80s+. When the ambient temp was in the 60s-70s, I moved the dial to about 12 o'clock to or 1 o'clock. I found that gave us hotter water..... almost too hot in the shower, but great temp for doing dishes. So I tempered it toward the "cooler" side of the dial.....10 -11 o'clock or so. If we are at a location for several days and I make the initial adjustment, I leave it alone.

When we arrive at a destination where we will have water hookup, I hook up to the faucet, run the hose full and then hook up to the RV connection. I am trying to keep the system void of air.
When I turn on a hot faucet in the RV (makes no difference which one) I turn it on full flow. Once the cold water in the line is displaced with heated water, I reduce the flow to about 1/2. I then allow the water to run as it becomes hotter. Once the water becomes uncomfortably hot, I add volume but NEVER add cold. The slower the water flow the hotter it will be. If you add cold water to the mix at the shower head or faucet, you are not changing anything at the WH and the burner will continue to heat until it is maxed and shuts down.
One of the complaints I have read is the amount of "cold" water people have to run before they get hot. For us, that is not an issue............our prior RV, a 37' 5er had the WH at a rear corner and the shower was 25 feet away.
Hope this rambling helps.
Sure appreciate the pic NC Roamer gave us of the elusive reset button. I thought I had located it but haven't used it so wasn't positive.
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate