Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Seneca mirror whistling revisited!

Ok Folks. I remember reading about the fix for the mirror whistle on the newer Senecas. Can anyone send pictures or describe where the holes are that are making the whistle? Thanks!!
raymoe3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Pic is of the driver side, upper arm. I covered the hole on the underside of the plastic shroud.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

Other than just covering the holes with electrical tape, does anyone know of a source for a more permanent (and attractive) fix? Some type of black plastic plug?
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #4

Mine doesn't whistle at all. The noise I had was resolved with the shift cable isolation kit.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #5

I too had the shift cable noise and it was overwhelming until I had it fixed. When that was gone I now could hear the whistling at times coming from outside. Not all the time, seems dependent on speed. Sometimes the road surface noise drowns out the whistle. But on very smooth pavement at 60+ I can hear it.

So far I just turn up the Sirius 80's on 8 and mask it! But it would be nice to have a way to fix it permanently. I did the electrical tape thing once and it helped, but it fell off before my trip was done. Probably because I had treated the black mirror mount with Meguire's Black Plastic Restorer to make it "pretty", but that also makes it slippery and the tape didn't stay on!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #6

Thanks anav8or! I too like the idea of finding some type of decorative plastic plug to permanately fix the problem as Robbbyr suggests. I am going to get some accurate measurements of the hole sizes of all the attachment points and see what I can find. But especially the "whistle hole" for sure!!
raymoe3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Other than just covering the holes with electrical tape, does anyone know of a source for a more permanent (and attractive) fix? Some type of black plastic plug?
Home Depot and Lowes carry some black plastic furniture plugs in their specialty hardware section (in the drawers)
Old 05-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

How about some black RTV? Smooth it over and would be virtually undetectable.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

My concern with that would be access to the mirror screws if needed. While not impossible, you would have to dig out the RTV. I have already had the passenger side one completely off the truck to install a "trucker-style" Sirius mirror-mount Sat radio antenna.

When I took my first short trip in my unit I noticed quite a bit of mirror "shake" and so I investigated the issue when I got back. I was completely missing one screw in passenger side top bracket (meaning only one screw holding it!). The threads were either messed up or never cut so I even had to run a tap through it when I received the new screw from Freightliner. Probably why it got skipped at the factory, who would know! The screws do come with a bit of thread locking compound on them, but even with that on the original screws probably half of the them (both mirrors) were somewhat loose! After tightening all of them the "shake" problem is better, but not completely gone. Acceptable for a diesel truck in my opinion.

My plan is to check the screws for tightness periodically, would be harder if holes filled with RTV.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #10

Besides access to the screw, that hole might also be intended to let moisture out. I don't know that for a fact, but most mirrors in enclosed housings have a weep hole somewhere on the bottom.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote