Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #21

For those who have seen some of my posts you know I am nuts. Here is my extensive list, have many more ideas I am considering!

If anyone has any questions would be happy to answer whatever I can.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014 Seneca 37TS mods.pdf (47.6 KB, 797 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Here is my extensive list, have many more ideas I am considering!

WOW! That's is a lot!!! You have been busy
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
How much you want for a set?
I'm not at my office today so I can't look it up but PM me and I can get you a price. I had to buy a big sheet and shipping was a killer. The material is .063" so they are very sturdy. Seems like I have about $70ish in material (including shipping). Only takes a couple minutes to cut & bend them.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #24

Am looking at the fog light upgrade do you have the part numbers as my freightliner dealer is drawing a blank on what I might need thanks gord
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #25

Attached is a PDF of the quick installation instructions and it includes the Freightliner part numbers. They likely have been superseded, but it will give the parts guy the new valid numbers when they look them up. The prices are also probably higher now! The instructions were mostly plagiarized from another user on the forum. I tweaked it just a bit.

I also have a picture of my revised dash switches, you can see I also moved my dash switches around to make the O/D cancel switch easier to get at since I don't use the mirror heat hardly at all. I have also installed air horns and have a Freightliner switch on the dash that lets me select either the air horns or the regular electric horn. There is also a switch marked "OPT" that turns the sideview cameras off so they don't override the Navigation screen when I am making frequent turns in a downtown environment. I laid out the new holes by carefully removing all switches so I could lay the panel flat, then I marked the exact cutout and used my Dremel cutoff wheel to cut the metal. Tried to go slightly undersized then filed until the switches fit.

Good luck, happy to answer any questions I can!
Attached Thumbnails
Reconfigured dash switches.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner fog light installation.pdf (42.4 KB, 240 views)
Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #26

THanks I have ordered by the part numbers you sent me, freightliner has to order everything from the US cost about 710.00 then its 185.00 to program. I am also interested in the air horn set up as the truck horn is kinda weak. do you have the parts number breakdown for rhes as well? thanks gord
Old 09-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #27

The air horns were significantly more complicated than the fog lights! Tapping into both air and electric systems, and making sure the new horns (and the regulated air fill station I added) cannot compromise the chassis air system. Would not want the parking brake to pop on unexpectedly because of an unintentional loss of air pressure!

Here is the link to the post I created documenting the addition, in that post is a link to a photo album containing more pictures:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ill-35437.html

I would be happy to clarify anything you might have questions about. The air horns are so much better, truly befitting the size of rig we have!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #28

Hi Robb I got your list for the horn my dealer cannot order the swith into canada is there a contact you have I can get in touch with directly? Also what pig tail did you use to wire in the connector? Man it's tough rigging up in Canadaall the parts for fog lights come in at 700.00 once I install them my dealer quoted 185.00 to program appreciate all your help in this thanks gord
Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2retire&drive View Post
Hi Robb I got your list for the horn my dealer cannot order the swith into canada is there a contact you have I can get in touch with directly? Also what pig tail did you use to wire in the connector? Man it's tough rigging up in Canadaall the parts for fog lights come in at 700.00 once I install them my dealer quoted 185.00 to program appreciate all your help in this thanks gord
The air/electric horn switch came from a fire truck supply company, FireLine Equipment. Here is a link to the specific switch on their site: https://firelineequipment.com/produc...orns-electair/

I am known to be somewhat "picky" so I made my own pigtail using the same connector and spade terminals that Freightliner uses. Took a lot of research to locate, but the finished product looks just like Freightliner did it. But you could use regular spade terminals on the back of the switch if you wanted. I even hooked up the illumination so at night the switch lettering lights up like the other dash switches. But in case you want to go "all out" here is where I sourced the connector and terminals: Terminals & Connectors
The connector (without terminals) is TCSales part 15393805, the small terminal (for lighting and ground) is 12015869, the larger terminal (for the actual horn circuit) is 12015870.

Being here in the States I did not realize what difficulties those of you up North encounter getting parts sometimes. Getting an education!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #30

Thanks Robbbyr! I have downloaded your pdf and have saved it to my Seneca folder. Lots of interesting upgrades...the Sirius/XM trucker antenna got my immediate attention. Could you post a picture so I can see how the wiring is attached to the mirror frame and where the antenna wire enters the cab. Been a Sirius/XM subscriber for years....definitely want the capability in my Seneca. Thx!!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #31

Thanks Robbbyr! I have downloaded your pdf and have saved it to my Seneca folder. Lots of interesting upgrades...the Sirius/XM trucker antenna got my immediate attention. Could you post a picture so I can see how the wiring is attached to the mirror frame and where the antenna wire enters the cab. Been a Sirius/XM subscriber for years....definitely want the capability in my Seneca. Thx!!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
I bolted the antenna to the right mirror bracket, and drilled a hole in the mirror bracket tube. I disassembled the mirror bracket from the mount (be very careful of the spring tension) so I could feed the cable through the lower mirror bracket pivot into the door interior. There is a cable there already for the mirror movement and heaters. Sealed where the cable enters the tube with silicone.

Removed inner door panel to route cable inside door. Removed exterior body panel between door and hood so I could more easily get cable out of door jamb and into the interior. That panel comes off with several screws under the hood and in the door jamb area. Ran the antenna coax in the same harness that contains the other door wiring in the jamb area.

Where the antenna is mounted it does not hit the cap at all when you open the door. And since the front cap is fiberglass the satellite signals seem to reach it okay. Where I have dropouts, I also experience them in my cars which have factory-installed SiriusXM.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
20160915_160302_resized.jpg   20160915_160319_resized.jpg   20160915_160339_resized.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #33

Swapped out the Winegard In-Motion Roadtrip Mission satellite for the Winegard SK-SWM3 Trav'ler for HD DirecTV this weekend. Works like a charm. Just forget about fishing the cables through the cable channel in the ceiling or even getting the old cables out for that matter. Jayco foam seals the channel. I used the A/C duct.

Now I have HD DirecTV wherever we go!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #34

Bed lift installation

I have come up with a "fix" that allowed me to install bed platform lift struts on my rig when conventional wisdom says we can't since the bed platform moves with the slideout. Applicable to newer Senecas other than the FS which has a fixed bed.

Explanation in Mods section here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post452779

More pictures here:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1248.html

Be happy to answer any questions I can!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #35

Bed lift installation

Robbyr,

Nice job!! Are you making any to sell?

Jim
jxn2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have come up with a "fix" that allowed me to install bed platform lift struts on my rig when conventional wisdom says we can't since the bed platform moves with the slideout. Applicable to newer Senecas other than the FS which has a fixed bed.

Explanation in Mods section here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post452779

More pictures here:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1248.html

Be happy to answer any questions I can!
Made a slight modification to the adapter bracket to keep the upper attachment points completely under the bed even when the slide completely closed. Works great with the innerspring mattress and RV Superbag on the platform!
Attached Thumbnails
Lift struts installed2.jpg   Lift adapter 2 top view.jpg   Lift adapter 2 mounted to trolley.jpg  
Old 10-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #37

Quote:
There is also a switch marked "OPT" that turns the sideview cameras off so they don't override the Navigation screen when I am making frequent turns in a downtown environment.
Robbyr: I really like all your mods. Can you tell us the process for switching the sideview cameras off and on? I'd like to do the same thing and need to know what it takes to complete that upgrade. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz01 View Post
Can you tell us the process for switching the sideview cameras off and on?
I found in certain situations the activation of the sideview cameras was very distracting, especially when navigating in areas where several turns were required in succession. The Nav screen would blank out when I needed it the most! But there are times I want them to work, hence the switch.

To disable the activation wasn't too tough. Behind the center dash panel, (and on my rig) more to the right side, is the Voyager "Multi Camera Controller" module where the three camera feeds all come together. Out of that module (in addition to the camera coax leads) are several regular wires; +12-volt power, ground, and the three "trigger" wires. The three triggers are reverse, left turn, right turn. Obviously the left and right turn wires are the ones I dealt with. I am attaching a wiring diagram of the camera module below that may help.

The Freightliner OPT switch I used (part #A06-30769-014) is a double-pole switch which is critical since you have to keep the two circuits separate. I cut the two turn signal trigger wires, extended them to the new switch mounted in the dash panel, then out of the switch back to the switching module. I also wired the new switch's illumination circuit by extending illumination power and ground from another dash switch. That way the "OPT" lights up at night too!

Since I am basically a nutcase (per the DW!), I even went so far as to source the stock Freightliner wiring plug and connectors so it looks 100% stock, plugging right into the new switch just as if the factory did it. Used the same procedure to wire my Air/Electric horn selector switch. But never fear, the switch can be wired with traditional spade lugs and would work just as well.

Just to throw gasoline on the fire, I also discovered while doing this turn signal job that our rearview camera includes a microphone. Jayco just never hooked it up. It took another switching module I installed to make it work, but now when I shift into reverse the camera and the microphone come on. So I can watch the wife's hand signals and hear her talk me into a tight campsite. Overkill? You betcha!

If I can offer any more help please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Voyager camera switching module.jpg   Freightliner dash switch connector.jpg   Freightliner-A06-30769-014-OPT-Rocker-Switch.jpg  
Old 10-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
Got our console last night. Can't wait to install it. Thanks Aaron.
97 Jeep Wrangler
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:31 AM   #40

Quote:
I found in certain situations the activation of the sideview cameras was very distracting, especially when navigating in areas where several turns were required in succession. The Nav screen would blank out when I needed it the most! But there are times I want them to work, hence the switch.

To disable the activation wasn't too tough. Behind the center dash panel, (and on my rig) more to the right side, is the Voyager "Multi Camera Controller" module where the three camera feeds all come together. Out of that module (in addition to the camera coax leads) are several regular wires; +12-volt power, ground, and the three "trigger" wires. The three triggers are reverse, left turn, right turn. Obviously the left and right turn wires are the ones I dealt with. I am attaching a wiring diagram of the camera module below that may help.

The Freightliner OPT switch I used (part #A06-30769-014) is a double-pole switch which is critical since you have to keep the two circuits separate. I cut the two turn signal trigger wires, extended them to the new switch mounted in the dash panel, then out of the switch back to the switching module. I also wired the new switch's illumination circuit by extending illumination power and ground from another dash switch. That way the "OPT" lights up at night too!

Since I am basically a nutcase (per the DW!), I even went so far as to source the stock Freightliner wiring plug and connectors so it looks 100% stock, plugging right into the new switch just as if the factory did it. Used the same procedure to wire my Air/Electric horn selector switch. But never fear, the switch can be wired with traditional spade lugs and would work just as well.

Just to throw gasoline on the fire, I also discovered while doing this turn signal job that our rearview camera includes a microphone. Jayco just never hooked it up. It took another switching module I installed to make it work, but now when I shift into reverse the camera and the microphone come on. So I can watch the wife's hand signals and hear her talk me into a tight campsite. Overkill? You betcha!

If I can offer any more help please let me know!
Thanks for the information Robbyr! I have an OPT switch on order. I prefer the using a combination of the mirrors and rearview camera when changing lanes. There's only been a couple times when the sideview cameras have come in handy.