Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
MD3

Seneca moves when leveling

Anyone else have the entire RV move/slide around when leveling and retracting the levelers ?
Mine is moving/sliding enough I worry about bending/folding one of the levelers.
Hopefully something just needs reclibrated, maybe.... any ideas ?

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #2

Follow the procedure beginning on p. 45 of your Owner's Manual (may be a different page for your year) and you should not have these issues. Be sure the transmission is in NEUTRAL with the parking brake engaged. There is a calibration procedure on p. 46 that might also be helpful. Also note the OM tells you to raise the jacks BEFORE bringing in the slides and to start the engine to fill the air tanks before retracting. Let us know how it goes with the OM procedure.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

Not sure how much movement you are experiencing. You do feel it when you put jacks up or down.
If your Seneca's rear wheels are off the ground it is possible for the coach to move when leveling and that's not good. The emergency brakes are the rear wheel brakes. Seneca's have been known for raising the coach higher than necessary due to the airbags not emptying adequately during the leveling process.
I manually level mine to avoid over-lifting the coach.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

retracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Follow the procedure beginning on p. 45 of your Owner's Manual (may be a different page for your year) and you should not have these issues. Be sure the transmission is in NEUTRAL with the parking brake engaged. There is a calibration procedure on p. 46 that might also be helpful. Also note the OM tells you to raise the jacks BEFORE bringing in the slides and to start the engine to fill the air tanks before retracting. Let us know how it goes with the OM procedure.

I've noticed that once I start the engine, I can't retract my jacks. I'm not too fond of the idea of cranking and getting the airbags full, then have to shut it off to retrack the jacks and then having to recrank it.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

Retracting jacks

We start the engine and fill the airbags and then retract the jacks with the engine running - we still get some movement but not as much as when we don't fill the airbags

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

I have the same issue as Jvteach77. I cannot retract (unless emergency retract) with engine on. I am also not fond of starting, then re-starting the main either.

After my seneca squished a few of those yellow camco wheel chalks, I decided on a pressure-treated 8x8 x 8' (was about $25) and got the 'ol chain saw out to make some proper wheel chalks. I chalk the front and rear of all 4 corners before I drop my jacks. The rig doesn't move an inch and as an added bonus, my front driver's side jack no longer binds up when I retract.

Afterthought:
One other thing I did was re-calibrating the auto-level system. After executing that, my auto-leveling with my bigfoot has less of a tendency to raise the cab significantly higher than necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0817.jpg  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
I've noticed that once I start the engine, I can't retract my jacks. I'm not too fond of the idea of cranking and getting the airbags full, then have to shut it off to retrack the jacks and then having to recrank it.
On the 2018 units, with the engine on you can not lower the jacks or move the slides in or out however you can raise the jacks. I wonder if there is an issue with your wiring or if that was a change. If I start the truck the airbags start to fill and it will actually lift the unit off the back jack in some instances. If the truck is running and someone ignores the screaming alarms from the leveling system and puts the truck in gear it will automatically retract the jacks ( I haven't tested that one and hopefully never will, but I take their word for that one)

I have started to do what most others are doing, lower the rear jacks and lift the back up, then once the air is dumped hit all retract, then start all over with auto level, also I have started to block the front wheels to reduce the forward and backward movement.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
On the 2018 units, with the engine on you can not lower the jacks or move the slides in or out however you can raise the jacks. I wonder if there is an issue with your wiring or if that was a change.
My 2017 FS works the same as your 2018. I was also wondering if something is mis-wired.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #9

The engine on our 2015 won't crank at all if the jacks are down. All you get is a loud nasty alarm.

We fully chock the wheels on the low side of level, and that minimizes the 'rolling' off the levels as we retract them.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote