Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #1

Smile Seneca Norcold Fridge problem brought on by myself.

Just a heads up for everyone going through a 18 wheeler truck wash. Don't forget to tell the washers not to spray up into or around the fridge vents! I made that mistake and as soon as I pulled out the bay I heard my refrigerator beeping. Fault code was LI-op. Luckily I was 10 miles from our summer home and plugged in to ac but no change. Looked it up on line and found a trick to resetting the hi-temp board with a magnet. Ironically a "refrigerator" magnet won't work. Went to hardware and got a strong magnet. Still didn't reset, so I figured board was wet. Called Jayco and they pleasantly said they couldn't do anything with accessory's but gave the number to Norcold. Norcold wouldn't send me the board being a "safety component" but sent me to a authorized service dealer right up the road, sent the part overnight and all is well. Kudos to Norcold and Jayco. Jayco rep said to call him back with the results good or bad so I'm calling him back first thing in the morning.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

As They Should!

Glad you got that sorted. They SHOULD bend over backwards for you when it's resulting in a damaged thermal switch, however, I didn't have such a great experience. Might want to look at getting a safety switch put on as well. It will lengthen the lifespan of the refrigerator cooling unit. I installed mine at the same time as the switch. It's made by a company called ARP. It's a great safety add-on.

Here's where I got mine:
Norcold High Temperature Limit Switch V2.0 by ARPrv - The Norcold Guy
ledderonthego12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

I too washed my Seneca taking out the hi temp switch. Norcold is well aware of this problem, but still has not epoxy coated the circuit board protecting it from tripping when wet.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

It looks like the actual component is pretty inexpensive. I guess all that you'd have to do is to put it in a waterproof enclosure...

DC12V 30 999℃ Digital High Temperature Control Switch Thermostat K Thermocouple | eBay
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

I've used the magnet trick and it works! My wife thinks I'm magic now.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledderonthego12 View Post
Might want to look at getting a safety switch put on as well. It will lengthen the lifespan of the refrigerator cooling unit. Here's where I got mine:
Norcold High Temperature Limit Switch V2.0 by ARPrv - The Norcold Guy
So how is the late-model Norcold experience going for everyone? I'm new to absorption cooling (had a residential in the previous MH). Should this ARP safety device be a must-have?

Any issues with keeping cold things cold, particularly in hi temp/hi humidity climates?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

Mine is doing fine after almost 2 years. Needs defrosting about every 6-8 months if used continuously but other than that it's doing fine!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
Just a heads up for everyone going through a 18 wheeler truck wash. Don't forget to tell the washers not to spray up into or around the fridge vents! I made that mistake and as soon as I pulled out the bay I heard my refrigerator beeping. Fault code was LI-op.
We had a similar experience, but TOLD them to avoid the Fridge vent and Microwave vent. Did they??? NOT at all, the used the high pressure spray right into the vents of the fridge - but somehow avoided the damage you got.

Here is what I have done to address this... I cut a sheet of plastic sheeting just larger than the outside access door, notched where the door tabs/latches are and tuck the outside edges inside the opening and put the door back on. (Shut the Fridge down while the cover is on while getting washed).

When they pull the coach out to dry - I am pulling that plastic sheet back off and turning the fridge back on... I roll the sheeting up and stuff it in a corner of the Fridge access compartment where it is not hot until next wash.

Even works great when I am washing it myself...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold, recall