Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Seneca Now With J-Ride

Noticed while at the Jayco factory the new 2016 M2 chassis comes equipped with a front sway bar and Bilstein front shocks (listed a the J-Ride package). Looks like a nice upgrade for us with older M2 Seneca's.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #2

My 2014 Seneca has a stock front sway bar, but the shock upgrade looks interesting!
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #3

What is the actual difference?
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

What are your thought about the air-ride seats vs not having front air bags?
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Aren't all these upgrades also useful for the the older models? For example, it seems like the shocks, air- seats and air brakes could all be retrofitted?
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Shocks - Generally aftermarket Bilstein's are considered a "superior" shock and many users in other Class C and Class A coaches report them to provide a more civilized ride than the stock shock absorbers installed by the factory. But I don't know what Freightliner put on my unit to start with.

Regarding the mods, you could install air seats if you had the money and could source the seats and other parts; but air brakes are a whole other matter. That would be a MAJOR change involving hundreds of items to be swapped out. One "goof" and you have an unsafe vehicle. The cost to make such a change would likely be in the tens of thousands of dollars, if you could even do it without swapping the whole front and rear axle assemblies out.

When I first saw information about Jayco's change to air brakes for the Seneca I asked on the other threads what difference someone who may have driven an old (hydraulic) coach versus new (air) brake-equipped coach thought it made. I have not seen any feedback yet. My 2014 Seneca has hydraulic brakes and with 5,000+ miles behind the wheel I am very pleased with my brakes. As a retired career firefighter I also drove many trucks with air brakes. They also stopped very well, but not any "better" and usually had longer stopping differences. But that could be attributed to their greater weight. My Seneca with toad can only (legally) weigh a maximum of 33,000 lbs, some fire trucks I drove approached 70,000. Obviously takes more to stop that amount. And very importantly, you do need to be educated to properly drive with air brakes. What you don't know can hurt you. You can learn that information by getting a CDL, but in many (most) states driving a RV does not require a CDL. But I would strongly encourage anyone who drives an air-brake equipped coach to seek out that training before they take any trips in their new coach.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

Licencing Requirements?

If they are putting airbrakes into the Senecas now... That will effect licencing requirements in some States/Provinces?

In Ontario Airbrakes are a specific endorsement (Z) on your licence that requires completion of a written knowledge test, a 12 hour course and a practical exam.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote