Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #1

Seneca Paint Complaint

I have had my truck since July, and this is the first real complaint I have, but it’s a big one. Yesterday was my first real wash and wax (yes, I know, you can all disown me from the forum after this!). Bitter winter set in on Carolina’s earlier than expected and it just didn’t let up in Illinois until now.

I have spent lots of time sealing areas discussed on this forum to prevent leaks that should have been done by Jayco, and thought nothing of it.

I have repaired cabinets that broke because only a few staples held them together, and thought nothing of it.

I upgraded the Truma (which is CRAP because Jayco should have given us comfort over basic from the beginning), and after the upgrade, and repairing the water leak created by the Truma authorized technician for an upgrade I could have done myself, I thought nothing of it.

This list goes on, and I have never complained much, but yesterday, as I got close and personal with the exterior; their paint job is deplorable! There are areas that have minimal clear coat and some with NO clear coat. I have absolutely no technical knowledge of paint work (other than to keep it waxed), and this is not a diy fix, not to mention an expensive fix with lots of down time. I most time in the Seneca for work and downtime is a major issue. I will let you know how I make out with dialogue with Jayco.

Anyone else noticed this issue?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #2

Hopefully not, in another 10 years, as ours is, the clear coat is all peeling off.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

I have a 2018.5 37 HJ and I will agree the paint job is a joke.
Hahndavid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #4

Where are the 2018's being sent for painting? It should be identified on a sticker on the driver's door jamb area (at least it is on my 2016).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #5

I have a 2018 HJ and I am very upset over my paint job as well. Every time I look at it, I am seeing new chips and places that weren't covered very well. I understand chips from rocks but I have only driven it maybe 800 miles and there are places that I don't see how they could have been hit. Very disappointed.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Where are the 2018's being sent for painting? It should be identified on a sticker on the driver's door jamb area (at least it is on my 2016).
Our 2008 was painted by Carrera Designs;
www.carreradesigns
Attached Thumbnails
PaintCodesBrochure.jpg  
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Our HJ was painted by 'Precision Painting, Inc.' of Bremen, IN. Their five-color work on our rig was and remains amazing. The guy at our service place that does a lot of Prevost body work was even impressed.

Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Our HJ was painted by 'Precision Painting, Inc.' of Bremen, IN. Their five-color work on our rig was and remains amazing. The guy at our service place that does a lot of Prevost body work was even impressed.

My 2014 was painted by Precision too, and I also had no issues. I wonder if the Thor acquisition has anything to do with recent complaints or is it just "bad luck"?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #9

I have an 18.5 seneca TS and although I have not waxed it from "head to toe" the paint job looks pretty good,considering its a 5 color custom paint job.I noticed some orange peel here and there on some hard to buff spots and a couple of edges that were buffed through down to the base ,not a big deal can be touched up with the paint they gave me. The black paint is shiny with no swirls,like a mirror.Over all I'm happy.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Our 2008 paint is in great shape We just had cabover front repainted.We keep our Seneca under a carport but front is exposed to the Arizona sun. We didn’t replace word Seneca as Jayco wants 300.00 for the decal.
Dgerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #11

Bad Paint

As some of you know my saga of Jayco warranty repairs has been ongoing since August of 2017. I most recently had it in the shop for over 12 weeks for the same items its already been in for. This last trip in it was in for a dent that is from the inside out of the water closet from the factory and had to be completely repainted as well as the adjoining compartment doors. After the fix the service center, that is not a Jayco facility, told me how poor the paint was and that the panels that weren't painted looked significantly different with orange peel. They are unable to "cut/buff" those panels because the clear is so thin. I am currently working through getting those re-clear coated. I will let you know how I fair.
brtnsnwbrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnsnwbrds10 View Post
As some of you know my saga of Jayco warranty repairs has been ongoing since August of 2017. I most recently had it in the shop for over 12 weeks for the same items its already been in for. This last trip in it was in for a dent that is from the inside out of the water closet from the factory and had to be completely repainted as well as the adjoining compartment doors. After the fix the service center, that is not a Jayco facility, told me how poor the paint was and that the panels that weren't painted looked significantly different with orange peel. They are unable to "cut/buff" those panels because the clear is so thin. I am currently working through getting those re-clear coated. I will let you know how I fair.
How did things work out with your paint issues??

We just got back from Jayco Service where I requested multiple paint issues be addressed. They used S&S automotive and it came back even worse with orange peal now on the sides. I am very very upset but really uncertain how to proceed because their solution is to have it return to S&S Automotive. It seams those who had their unit painted by Precision Paint in Bremen are happy, so I am thinking of taking it to them for a second opinion. Of course the question becomes how to I get Jayco to pay the better company?? Invoice from S&S is $3,800 for deplorable workmanship.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
How did things work out with your paint issues??

We just got back from Jayco Service where I requested multiple paint issues be addressed. They used S&S automotive and it came back even worse with orange peal now on the sides. I am very very upset but really uncertain how to proceed because their solution is to have it return to S&S Automotive. It seams those who had their unit painted by Precision Paint in Bremen are happy, so I am thinking of taking it to them for a second opinion. Of course the question becomes how to I get Jayco to pay the better company?? Invoice from S&S is $3,800 for deplorable workmanship.
I would go to Precision Paint if possible. Our 2016 Greyhawk has the 4 color paint job completed by Precision and it is great. We have previously owned high end Class A’s and I think Precision Paint compares to the finish of those coaches. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #14

Problems probably due to the need to get units out the door.

Patrick Industries owns the 3 major painting facilities:

The Precision Painting Group is comprised of three full-service custom exterior full body painting operations – Precision Painting, Carrera Custom Painting, and Millennium Paint – that also offer interior refurbishing and painting for both OEMs and existing RV and Fleet owners.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Problems probably due to the need to get units out the door.

Patrick Industries owns the 3 major painting facilities:

The Precision Painting Group is comprised of three full-service custom exterior full body painting operations – Precision Painting, Carrera Custom Painting, and Millennium Paint – that also offer interior refurbishing and painting for both OEMs and existing RV and Fleet owners.
Grumpy, I agree about getting units out the door. As long as we keep buying new units this and other issues will continue. I belong to another forum ( Tiffin) and this issue has come up there as well. They own their paint facilities and are proud of their work but building 13 large units a day takes its toll.
It also hinges on the fact that the workforce of good craftsman are not there.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #16

Grumpy I definitely agree that speed is their number one goal in the production of these RVs. I received a tour (while I waited for them to repair things they didn’t do during the 4 weeks they had my unit) and they mentioned several times about how fast the production line runs. Apparently the workers receive a bonus the faster they work so there is virtually zero incentive to build a quality product.

My issue is, in addition to needing to return to service another week in September for things I told them about yet remain unresolved, what should I do about this paint issue.

I am definitely thinking of taking it to someone else for a second opinion of how to remedy these issues prior to the expiration of the warranty end of June.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #17

What does anyone think these paint jobs cost?
Old 05-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
I would go to Precision Paint if possible. Our 2016 Greyhawk has the 4 color paint job completed by Precision and it is great. We have previously owned high end Class A’s and I think Precision Paint compares to the finish of those coaches. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. Jimmyd
Jimmy how did you know where your paint was done?
Old 05-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Jimmy how did you know where your paint was done?
There is a label inside of the kitchen cabinets with the company name, brand of paint and color matches.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Grumpy I definitely agree that speed is their number one goal in the production of these RVs. I received a tour (while I waited for them to repair things they didn’t do during the 4 weeks they had my unit) and they mentioned several times about how fast the production line runs. Apparently the workers receive a bonus the faster they work so there is virtually zero incentive to build a quality product.

My issue is, in addition to needing to return to service another week in September for things I told them about yet remain unresolved, what should I do about this paint issue.

I am definitely thinking of taking it to someone else for a second opinion of how to remedy these issues prior to the expiration of the warranty end of June.

I know what I would do but I’m retired. I have lots of time to make them correct their work. The more they have to spend may be a wake up call.
I spent 2 weeks in paint at Tiffin until they got it corrected. Even the paint techs agree the factory needs to do it right the first time.