Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Seneca radio antenna

Has anyone put a longer (taller) antenna on the drivers door mirror to improve AM/FM radio reception? Would a regular CB radio antenna work? They are available in longer lengths. Thanks for any information on this subject.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

The length of an antenna is a function of the frequency of the signal you are trying to capture.

A longer antenna will, generally, not improve radio reception.

Getting the correct antenna higher will allow receiving signals from further away.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #3

It does both

The Seneca antenna uses a duplexer and provides antenna to the CB as well as the AM/FM radio. I think that changing that to another may affect the AM/FM, but have not tested it. Good question since the CB antenna side of this antenna is no that good.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

It would be nice to have a good AM/FM radio on one mirror and a good CB antenna on the other. And they be quality, but matched size. I think this can be done, but haven't pursued it, much, yet. Maybe this thread will be the start. Those with knowledge, please chime in.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

I changed mine for one that's about 6 inches longer and regret it.

The antenna now occasionally whips in the wind and knocks on the overhead bunk.
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy View Post
I changed mine for one that's about 6 inches longer and regret it.

The antenna now occasionally whips in the wind and knocks on the overhead bunk.
Well, that's valuable info. Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing the reason for the change?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

I was worried that that might happen if I put a longer antenna on it. Looks like no easy solution. I would sure like to have better radio reception.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #8

I had it installed at the same time that I installed a CB .....hoping to get better reception with the CB.

I'm going to swap it back to the original......trial and error
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

I sure would like to get the antenna set up for very best reception. As I said earlier, I ended up mounting the Sirius Hockey Puck Antenna up on the roof. What I'd like to do is take it to someone and get the best tuning of what I have or can get. No clue where to start. I question the CB Shops at the truck stops. No clue if they would do a good job or just blow smoke.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 01-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #10

I receive good am-fm signal with the stock ant.. I did add a second CB ant to the passenger side. I am having difficulties in setting the swr. I don't know if it's the ground plane of the Seneca or what.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #11

Here is a dumb question did your Seneca really come with an antenna. I was told the stub on the drivers mirror was for CB only of course I have not found an other antenna.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #12

That stub is used for both CB and am/fm via a duplexer device under the dash. (Its just not a very good CB antenna.)

Terry
N5QWA
Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #13

tjbroussarrd, your statement kind of insinuates the antenna is a good am/fm radio antenna. I've not had those results. I'm a talk radio junkie and think the reception is at best marginal. I'm thinking it has to do with the bulk of the overhead queen bunk on the Seneca. Just started playing with the outside TV and radio on the Seneca and wondering what and where the radion antenna is for that radio. Has anyone explored that??
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 02-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

You are probably correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
tjbroussarrd, your statement kind of insinuates the antenna is a good am/fm radio antenna. I've not had those results. I'm a talk radio junkie and think the reception is at best marginal. I'm thinking it has to do with the bulk of the overhead queen bunk on the Seneca. Just started playing with the outside TV and radio on the Seneca and wondering what and where the radion antenna is for that radio. Has anyone explored that??
Most likely correct as I primarily use XM Satellite, and rarely am/fm. Seems as though the height and the combo antenna is marginal across all of the bands: am/fm/cb.

I listen to the external am/fm often on the side of the Seneca. In that case, I found that the installer had not unwrapped the FM wire antenna, merely left it balled up. There is no other antenna for that side radio, only the white wire plugged into the antenna jack much like the home stereos. I unrolled it and straightened it out as best I could, dramatically improving the reception on the external fm radio.

Hope that helps clarify the issue,
Old 02-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #15

We've been our Seneca since the beginning of October. Lots going on with LIFE and move to the truck. Just now getting "relax time" enough to even think of the outside entertainment system. Yes, I did check it out on PDI/ "shake down walk thru", but now seriously getting in to this.

So Terry, did you take out the outside radio to find the AM / FM (thinking FM antenna) was wrapped in a ball?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 02-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
We've been our Seneca since the beginning of October. Lots going on with LIFE and move to the truck. Just now getting "relax time" enough to even think of the outside entertainment system. Yes, I did check it out on PDI/ "shake down walk thru", but now seriously getting in to this.

So Terry, did you take out the outside radio to find the AM / FM (thinking FM antenna) was wrapped in a ball?
Yes. The Sony radio quit responding to the volume knob, staying locked mid range. I removed the radio to replace with another, found the radio antenna wire. In the time that I had the radio out on my bench, totally off power, I gather the memory battery died. Just before I went to install the new radio, I tried the old one more time and it worked fine. I straightened out the antenna wire at that time. It has since acted up once, but just worked fine this weekend.

Long answer, but may help someone else.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #17

I just had a tree eat my antenna on my 2015 Jayco Seneca anybody have an idea were I can get a new one?
EWEBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #18

Freightliner might be your best bet if you plan to stay stock.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #19

Yes, it would be nice to know the brand of the stick antenna. This is the first I've herd of a CB/radio antenna. I do know it takes a special CB antenna for any type vehicle that has a lot of fiberglass. Boats, and recreational vehicles. I have looked at these antennas eBay, and they are rather costly. Some are pretty long in length. Before I knew about the special ground antenna I bought a regular 4ft.cb antenna,and yes it did hit the side of the overhang. I cut a small piece of foam, wrapped it around the top of the antenna. I never did get the SWR adjusted correctly. I kinda gave up on it, then one day I noticed the antenna had broken completely off! Oh well! My radio reception I think is pretty much normal with the antenna that came with the Seneca. Maybe a hand held portable CB would be the best.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote