Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Seneca rats nest

Hi everyone, I'm not new to Jayco but I am new to the seneca. I've been reading with interest the many post here and elsewhere on the Seneca. Rats nest seems to be a common term when talking about the wiring in the seneca. We had ours since late November and it is a 2017. So far this is my experence with the wiring. We were delayed two weeks in getting the rig because none of the lights on the rear of the unit worked, a short was found. Unit was bought in Arizona and I live in Texas. Driving home I had a abs light on the dash, I also had two other codes flashing on my dic. The abs was also shorting out and the other two items were corrected by tie wrapping the wires according to my paper work. I plan to go through as much of the wiring as I can. My unit is a 37rb and I love it. Having said that our last coach is a Winnebago Tour that's still for sale. I guess you can say I've come over to the truck side.

One thing I plan to add is a second smoke detector in the rear of the unit. My first Jayco lets us know at 2am one morning we had a problem. You do wake up but when you smell it at the same time it's time to leave. Jayco had put electrial and water lines in the same space and after a couple of years we had a water leak. I'm disappointed to see they still do this.

AL
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #2

If it's any consolation they have been building them the same way for at least 10 years.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #3

Under the bed, under the dash, under the coach -- there's a ton of messy wiring all over.

Extra Battery operated CO/Smoke detectors were added to our RV on day 1.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

Yes, the wiring is very sloppy, but at least they had the courtesy to hide the wires behind panels and such.

What is the ABS you refer to?

And the smoke the detector just outside the bedroom was installed the first night.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

Need another smoke detector

I try and be careful, but never thought about a second smoke/co detector in such a small space. Any recommendations on units or just one from blue box store. I will add that this week.
Thanks for keeping me thinking.

You wonder where all that wiring we have that inhibits pass through storage went on the new SRV2 versions; they have pass through and you see no wires underneath.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #6

Also be mindful of the largely unprotected wiring maze and fuse boxes beneath the driver's seat. They can be shorted easily. I'm also disappointed that the house batteries are in an open compartment subject to road dirt and water spray. I've made it a priority to corrosion-proof all the wire terminals in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #7

Having a 15 37 rb I can emphasis with you on loving the floor pan. I had to crawl under mine with a hand full of zip ties and firmly attach most of the wiring underneath when I picked it up. Seems the cost of securing all that wiring was not an option at purchase.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
MD3

We are a few months into a 2018 37RB. Went from a class A pusher to the Super C.
So far we are enjoying the switch. Some good projects making it our own. Most of the projects were inspired from threads on this forum. A ton of good info and ideas on here.
Added a forth tv, added air horns, added hitch camera, added storage support bottoms, added macerator valve...... soon will be adding another fresh water tank (58 Gallon), fuel tank filler extenders, pass through storage access... the list continues to grow.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote