Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

Seneca repairs rear axle and fuel guage

I noticed a few drops of oil under the rear axle of my Seneca and took it to Peach State Trucks in Norcross, GA yesterday. While there they asked if there was anything else that needed attention. I mentioned the wildly inaccurate fuel guage and how when it is sitting on E I have approximately 1/2 tank left. He didn't act like he'd ever heard that complaint before, but from what I've read it seems like a common problem on the Freightliner M2. I called today and they have repaired the rear end and replaced the fuel sending unit. I've got my fingers crossed that the fuel guage problem is fixed. I should know very soon for sure.

I'll post again when I know on way or the other.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #2

Please keep us informed about them replacing the fuel sending unit and if it worked.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #3

Fuel

I've talked to the repair rep and he told me that they replaced the sending unit and it is fixed now and reading accurately. I'm picking it up the evening late, so I guess I'll know for sure then.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 05-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
I've talked to the repair rep and he told me that they replaced the sending unit and it is fixed now and reading accurately. I'm picking it up the evening late, so I guess I'll know for sure then.
Please let us know! It's less of an issue for us, now, that we have a scan d, but it's pretty trippy to have 300mi on a fillup and your gauge bottomed out on E... If there was a reliable fix, I'd probably spend the money having it done.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #5

free

They told me when I called that the rear end repair and the new sending unit was all covered via warranty from Freightliner, so it shouldn't cost me a penny. Those are the types of repairs I like best.

I have a scan guage, but don't really understand how it works just yet. I normally reset my trip meter #1 when I leave the house, then reset trip meter #2 every time I fill up, so I have a good idea of how much fuel should be in my tank. I've gotten to where I can estimate it within 2-3 gallons doing that. It is disconcerting to have that low fuel like flash at me, even though I know that I have a 1/2 tank left.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Old 05-02-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

Update

I got my coach back last night. I asked the service rep about the fuel gauges on the M2 and he just said that they are consistently off. He told me that the replacement sending units that they install are better than the OEM sending unit the coach had from the factory. As I left, I noted that the fuel guage said I had about 3/4 of a tank, which is about where it was when I dropped the coach off. I guess I won't know for sure that the problem is fixed until I start driving my coach and draining my tanks down.

They also has to take my differential apart and re-seal it to stop the gear oil from leaking out.

Everything was covered by warranty, so I didn't spend anything out of pocket, short of the fuel to take my coach in and drive it home.

When I know for sure that the fuel gauge is accurate or not, I'll update this thread again.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS