Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #1

Seneca S2RV Corrosion

I have a 2021 Seneca 37TS I bought in August. I have noticed more corrosion than I would expect on the chassis. I am going to bring this up to the dealer. What have you experienced with corrosion on the S2RV chassis? What is normal? How should this be corrected?

Thank you,
Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	63956

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	63955

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	63957

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	63958

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	63959

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	63960

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	63961

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	63962

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	63963
ebarchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #2

Pretty typical, I have seen worse. Most of that is just raw unfinished parts or surfaces that Freightliner leaves that way. It all depends on your dealer some will say its normal and some will take care of it. The most that a dealer will probably do is hit it with black rattle can spray paint with no prep. Personally I like to do stuff like this myself and it also gives you time to learn more about the chassis and poke around and check other things out. If you do it, start looking for all the hole that Jayco doesn't seal up to keep the critters out so have some spray foam on hand.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Pretty typical, I have seen worse. Most of that is just raw unfinished parts or surfaces that Freightliner leaves that way. .
That's the same across most chassis manufacturers. Had many NAVISTAR delivered looking the same way.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #4

Looks typical to me, we see a lot of that.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Same on my 2020 Accolade. Since everything you showed is a Freightliner part I doubt Jayco or your dealer will do anything about it.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Same on my 2020 Accolade. Since everything you showed is a Freightliner part I doubt Jayco or your dealer will do anything about it.
Nor will Freightliner, since it came straight from the factory that way. Unpainted
Old 09-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #7

Our Greyhawk chassis looked similar. Dealer sanded and coated it under warranty. Rust has not reappeared in the six years since.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #8

I am undertaking this job myself. I prepped and primed the front end areas yesterday. I will be painting later this week. I will send pictures when done. Thanks for all the feedback.
ebarchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #9

The first thing I did when I got my 2017 Seneca home was to get under it and paint everything that wasn't. I still do touch ups today.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
The first thing I did when I got my 2017 Seneca home was to get under it and paint everything that wasn't. I still do touch ups today.

Same here plus used about 100 zipties cleaning up all the wiring hanging down all over

Old 10-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #11

Yep, how could i forget the zip ties.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:27 AM   #12

Posts like this are so helpful to know, "I'm not the only one"! I literally thought you took pictures of my 2021 37L, as it's exactly the same. I took care of all the RV frame parts with sand/rust repair/paint but have been working with a Freightliner guy who is a friend of a friend fighting for me to get the sand/painting done on warranty.
jeffgladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Pretty typical, I have seen worse. Most of that is just raw unfinished parts or surfaces that Freightliner leaves that way. It all depends on your dealer some will say its normal and some will take care of it. The most that a dealer will probably do is hit it with black rattle can spray paint with no prep. Personally I like to do stuff like this myself and it also gives you time to learn more about the chassis and poke around and check other things out. If you do it, start looking for all the hole that Jayco doesn't seal up to keep the critters out so have some spray foam on hand.
@Rustynuts, are there any spots/areas on those pictures that should not be addressed/sprayed for fear of affecting truck performance?
Old 04-29-2021, 07:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarchak View Post
I am undertaking this job myself. I prepped and primed the front end areas yesterday. I will be painting later this week. I will send pictures when done. Thanks for all the feedback.
@ebarchak, I'd love to see those pics from the work you did underneath. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgladd View Post
@Rustynuts, are there any spots/areas on those pictures that should not be addressed/sprayed for fear of affecting truck performance?
Everything in the pics are a non-issue and just a matter of cosmetics IMO. My Jeep JKU was the same way right off the lot, many manufactures leave things unpainted these day. Sparing all those areas with paint is not going to hurt anything at all, if it bothers you.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #16

Paint is ok but will need reapplications. I've used a generic version of Waxoyl. It's like dipping your chassis in liquid wax.

https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/

Or this:

https://products.liqui-moly.com/rust...own-spray.html

Browse the Wrangler forums as this is extensively discussed there.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #17

Quote:
If you do it, start looking for all the hole that Jayco doesn't seal up to keep the critters out so have some spray foam on hand.
Rustynuts, you help me before and this time, I wonder about those holes. I have a cat that explores all those holes. I want to plug them. Two times already, I found her on the rear wheel passenger side, sitting on top of the wheel. I remember seeing a post about a hole there. I think it was your post. Any idea where that hole is? It's in a 37TS, she goes in from behind the small sofa or in a kitchen drawer.
jacquesmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #18

I wouldn't be concerned as others stated, it is just surface rust. I do know though that some people use "Fluid Film" spray on everything which will help keep everything rust free. Keep in mind, a surface coating of rust is also a protectant to some extent. (in other words if you removed the rust over and over the metal would wear down faster than having never removed the rust the first time).
Old 05-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesmm View Post
I remember seeing a post about a hole there. I think it was your post. Any idea where that hole is? It's in a 37TS, she goes in from behind the small sofa or in a kitchen drawer.

Our RB is quite a bit different than your TS. The only one I can think of leads to the area above the wheel well are but she wouldn't be able to get to the tire from there unless you have another hole in that area, it was under our fridge behind the wooden vented grill. We also has a 6" hole into the wet bay that was not sealed and it was visible from the ground, behind the rear axle, inside the driver side frame rail....it is where the 3 white vent tubes for the water tank came out. There was only these 3 lines in a 6" hole and was never sealed. The bes thing to do is start removing drawers and any screwed on access panels and start looking around. A lot of the time I will stick my phone in a tight area and take pics. Another place to open up and look is under the bathroom vanities, usually a lot of wiring and plumbing come up in these areas, most panels will unscrew to remove but the bottom panel is stapled in and I just gently start working the panel and pop the staples loose to remove and then put them back in with small #6x3/4" bronze screws which holds them in better and easy to remove again if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
i-rLGcP7t-X2.jpg  

Old 05-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #20

Also, the picture I posted of the area under the fridge, it was just wide open, nothing in there. So I decided to turn it into storage by adding a drawer using the grill for a drawer face. Being right under the fridge its great for storing extra beverages and easy to refill the fridge. Here are some pics of that mod.
Attached Thumbnails
i-S9BTRmC-X2.jpg   i-4LNKpbp-X2.jpg   i-rS6q5Sr-X2.jpg   i-ZvwLsQ3-X2.jpg